Which Manual DCCD controller should I get?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by techlord, Feb 6, 2008.

1. techlord

techlord Active Member

Gotta love that collection stage and you guys never steer me wrong. Of course nothing but the best will do for my car.

Okay for manual DCCD controllers I have heard of only the Neetronics and the one a guy on Nasioc sells (thanks CoolRex for getting me to the right guy..Now if he would return my questions) and it looks like a modded OEM unit.

Anyways my first question is what else is out there?

What are the differences in their capabilities and does it really matter?

Does it need to be installed when I put in the tranny or can I add it later? I want to be well informed prior to making a decision.

If anyone else has questions that I am not thinking of please ask.
    thanks guys!

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

If you're getting your Neetronics controller from JDMSpecC, call them rather than PM. If you call and they dont pick up they'll call you back later that day, PMs might take weeks to respond to. If its not from them, I'd check them out.

There's another company that makes one but I'm blanking on the name.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

thanks mike I had not found that one yet...short and sweet.

I am thinking the DCCDpro auto(spiider's) unit looks best for me.

His same unit manual seems like too much interaction while driving which I need to concentrate on.

The neetronics seems way too complicated, unless it comes fully customized to my preferences which I am not sure I full know or have the experience to know.

I am still researching so if you are bored and want some interesting info to take up time I would like others opinions.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm sporting hte DCCDPro unit right now. It works and suits me just fine. Also the price is half the cost of all the others ;)

My buddy has the GEMS DCCD unit and it's nothing but a royal PITA....not to mention $600.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Oh Spiider usually takes a day or two to respond but he has always gotten back to me. You may get better luck emailing him at sales@dccdpro.com (I hope that's right).

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Rick, did you get Sakari's PM? I found an 04 sti dccd controller on iwsti for $100. I am not sure if thats what you're looking for though.

8. techlord

techlord Active Member

Thanks Delette, I do think this is the one for me...Did you get the auto unit or the manual? The auto unit comes with the G sensor and the knob is more for aggressiveness with the programmed values and the manual unit would require more driver imput.

I did and that is a good price but I believe the OEM units need modification to work correctly. Do you have a link or something to it so I can check it out?

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/part-outs-multiple-parts/111400-fs-ny-complete-2004-wrb-sti-partout.html

10. WJM

WJM Banned

For techlord to PROPERLY get the DCCD A or B version to work, he'd have to swap in the 'Sport' ABS from he 2004+ Impreza.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thanks for that link Alex.....I'm jumping on that steering wheel.

Never mind....its $50 for the steering wheel without airbag.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  12. techlord

techlord Active Member

Perhaps not unless he is mis-informed about the stock system.

FAQ's from DCCDpro/Spiider's unit:

3. I see the OEM system interfaces to the ABS system, why don’t you have any interface to the ABS system?

-The ABS system is used on the OEM system to provide a method to open the diff in emergency braking situations. My system already has an emergency braking routine built into the “braking program” that in that situation will allow the diff to go totally open allowing the brakes at each wheel to act independently do what they need to do in relation to the ABS in an emergency. I thought long and hard about whether or not I wanted customers cutting and splicing into the ABS system in order to integrate the controller into it, and decided that it was more risk than benefit. Also, I wanted to allow this system to be able to be used by the swap crowd with early Subaru’s especially GC8’s that don’t have functioning ABS.

13. WJM

WJM Banned

There's more to it than JUST braking.

The DCCD uses each wheel's speed in order to determine lock up along with the G sensor (04, 05, 06, 07), yaw sensor (05, 06, 07) and steering angle sensor (06, 07).

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

yup forgot about all of that...He does mention that other than the stock system and a few others that are rediculously priced there is not much on the market better but does admit they are. I feel strongly running nothing is not good for the tranny, period, do you agree? Despite that with out the Yaw and Steering angle sensors changing out the ABS wouldn't benefit me much, correct? Also to do that is probably more headache than it is worth. My plans are to track it 6-12 times a year (if I am lucky) and gradually get into auto X.

15. WJM

WJM Banned

I'd get a manual controller like gotsol has.

16. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

running without a controller doesn't hurt the transmission. I've been fine for 2 years :)

I did MISS having the capability though. off camber hills at slow speeds kill me while turning :(

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Which one does he have?

18. WJM

WJM Banned

i dont know. thats why i said that.

19. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I have the Spiider manual DCCD control. I've had it for over a year it is pretty cool. I don't use it a lot but it works when I do use it. I understand the seller has an updated version that uses TPS adn a G sensor to control lock. Check out the discussion here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366253

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

He has the same I have except his is the manual version. Mine is the auto one.....:wiggle:

Here's a thread where Spiider (the maker of the dccdpro kit) chimes in a lot about the DCCD and how his unit works.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366253

:rofl::rofl: gotsol you posted right when I did!

21. WJM

WJM Banned

there we go.

22. techlord

techlord Active Member

it is settled then, I will be gettin the cheaper DCCDpro auto unit. Now I just have to wait for him to build it.

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

He sold out again already? Mid Jan he had 10 units available.

24. veck

veck Member

I've got a Neetronics unit and am very happy with it. Installation was very simple and the setup and adjustment is very simple.

I purchased one of the units from DCCDpro auto units to try it out and was not able to get it to work right. Ended up having to send it back to him for repair. Once I get it back and re-installed it will be interesting to see if the automatic unit is any faster around the autocross course.

25. techlord

techlord Active Member

Wait...You have 2 controllers? Do you have 2 cars to use them in? Want to sell one?

On the Neetronics do you have to fine tune it to get immediate results or does it come out of the box ready for most of what we put our cars through? In other words how much fine tuning did you have to do?

26. veck

veck Member

I have 2 controllers, 1 car. I just love to tinker with different stuff. Thats why i have 2 ECU's + UTEC + ST/AP + opensource ecu stuff :)

The Neetronics takes like 10 minutes to setup once you have it installed. You just set a few parameters for the basics (TPS, brake, launch control ...) and you are set to go.

One thing that I do like on the neetronics over the dccdpro unit is the launch mode. You preset how much lockup you want and then trigger the launch mode by blipping the throttle when you are at the line. The unit then will give you a preset amount of lock till a preset speed is reached then you are in normal mode.

27. techlord

techlord Active Member

In your opinion is the additional features of the neetronics worth the extra 150?

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The Neetronics is $600 now I thought.

29. techlord

techlord Active Member

399 + shipping according to their website.

30. veck

veck Member

Since i have not been able to get the DCCDPro automatic unit to work correctly yet I cant give a good driving impression between the two. I'll know more when it comes back from repair.

The Neetronics is like 1/3 the size and is physically easier to install. I've had it in the car for about 1.5 years and have had zero problems. Their support has been very good so far.

31. techlord

techlord Active Member

Yeah, but their cost shipped is nearly 6bills since the version 1.08 came out.