Handgun purchasing in GA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

I just got done reading up on the GA laws on purchasing a handgun. It says i need to pay a $15 fee and apply for a license. But last time i was interested in buying a gun, i was literally checking out at Adventure Outdoors (place on 41) and pretty much was about to walk out the door no problems. the only thing that stopped me was the fact that i didn't have as much room on my credit card as i thought. the employees never once stopped and asked me about a license or a waiting period or anything....?

so what's the deal? i wanna buy a handgun here in the next couple of days, and i figured since most of you guys talk about your guns all the time, then who better to ask?!

thanks!

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

bumpage

3. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

you need to get you a AR15 or a 50 CAL. thats what im talking about!

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

ha no. its my first handgun purchase. been looking at an xd40 s&w bi tone for a long time

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Should just need a driver's license and fill out a quick form. Away you should go.

6. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

I picked up a Taurus PT1911 at Adventure Outdoors two weeks ago. Background check took only 10 minutes, and I didn't even give them my social.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

cool. gonna go check a few places around statesboro tomorrow for the gun i want. thanks for the info guys

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, you don't need a license to own one, just to carry it concealed. But if you plan on keeping it in the car, or on your person, I'd get a CCW permit. That'll eliminate any hassles down the road if you get pulled over.

9. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I love my XD...I like it so much I bought my brother one to carry.

Matt

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

i plan on it. thanks guys!

11. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

How much should a decent first hand gun cost?

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

i'm probly looking to spend around $450-$500 with around 100 rounds of range ammo. at least that's the prices i've been seeing. plan on picking up the ammo at walmart later or something.

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Thats a pretty broad question... depends on caliber/new or used/quality... You can spend as little as $200 or a $1000+... I'm going to get a .45 soon and plan to spend around $400...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  14. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

if i had known you were looking for one, i would have sold you the glock for $350. just sold it to Brent a couple weeks ago.

15. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

What caliber XD are you looking at? I have been looking at a .40 cal for a while.

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah .40 s&w bi tone

17. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

do you need a ga license to get a gun down here?

i really need to go try one of those xd's

18. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

IIRC, if you don't have a GA license, all you need to do is buy a 1 day fishing/hunting license and use that as a form of ID:rofl:

Good ole Georgia

19. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

lol nice

I got my 45 ACP and 12GA the same day...so much for cool down periods. Eds guns (nics guns online) off canton road has some good selections too and you can rent it first to try it out.

You can carry it in your car but unloaded in the trunk (and i believe loaded in the glovebox but there is some debate about that on georgiapacking.org). Carrying concealed requires a license which in most parts of the state will take 8 or 9 months (9+ here). You can also get a florida non-resident permit which works in more states including GA but some cops will give you a hassle if your house is in GA and your CCW is from florida. I just get both :)

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html

Good luck with your choice and be safe :)

20. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

...Can you guys recommend a shop for a beginner to weapons that isn't run by condescending idiots, rednecks, or people ignorant of the law? from Marietta on up?

I went into two shops out my way to ask some questions and one shop keep actually had the nerve to say to me "Didn't yer daddy teechya about dem der rifles?"

21. wrxin8or

Ed's Guns (Nick's Guns) on the corner of Canton Rd and East Piedmont is the place I always go. The guy with glasses there is always helpful, and knows his shit.

22. Greg

Greg Active Member

If you just want knowledge, you can go to Smyrna Police Distributors. You can't buy them there without police ID, but they'll tell you anything you need to know with the relation to guns and the law. They're all either off-duty cops, or retired cops and are very nice. Its really close to Batlground, thats where I go.

23. wrxin8or

What do you carry Greg?

<----always likes to hear what everyone carries

24. Greg

Greg Active Member

Glock 27 .40
    Standard police issue for Forsyth Co is the Glock 35, so for a backup, I chose the Glock 27 since it has the same safety features, and theres no confusion in that area if all hell breaks loose.

25. wrxin8or

Do they accept the same magazines also? That would make for easy reloading in shit situations...

26. Greg

Greg Active Member

Sure do, even though the clip in the 35 is longer than the 27's grip, it still fits, but just hangs down lower.
    Glock 35
    [​IMG]
    Glock 27
    [​IMG]

27. wrxin8or

Cool cool....just checking.

I am looking to pick up a Sig (P229 or 226) in the near future...then again I shot my boss's xd subcompact last weekend, and while it was really snappy without the extended magazine (gives you a pinky hold) in a larger size it may be a much better gun IMO

28. Greg

Greg Active Member

My favorite gun is the XD... I love em

29. wrxin8or

I like them too, but I just like the external hammer for some reason...Makes it seem more like a gun to me

30. Jake

Jake Active Member

got my gun. bought it and 100 rounds of range ammo at bass pro. took a total of 15 minutes.

i'm excited to go to the range and get used to her!

31. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

So did you go with the xd?

32. Jake

Jake Active Member

yep xd 40 s&w