Gun Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deke, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm 22, would there be any kind of legal problem with me keeping a handgun in my apartment?

I know this is a pretty non-specific question. Just curious :)

2. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

No, 21 is the legal age to own a handgun in Ga. Just don't hold it sideways when you shoot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  3. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha no worries, I've been around guns my whole life. I know about guns, just not so much the laws :hsugh:

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

not unless the apartment complex has something in the lease that says you can't.

i've seen it before, so check your copy of the lease

5. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Maybe some of the law enforcement people can give you more specifics, but I personally carry one in my glovebox and have never had a problem as long as I let the police know its there. In my house I keep them all over, hell thats the American way.

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

Meh, I'll check, but I don't think it's going to change anything for me. In the event of an intruder I'd rather be alive and in trouble with my apartment complex/the law than dead.

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

I actually already have one, haha I have it since I was 21 (handed down from my Dad), I was just always curious if I was breaking any laws :) (for example, did I need to be registered in some way for it to be legal)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  8. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I am pretty sure you don't have to be registered to have one in you dwelling, but I would suggest getting registered unless you are a felon, or haven't paid child support. I need to take my own advice and get registered.

9. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, at some point I'm planning on getting a permit so I can carry, but at this point I don't really feel that I need to (to carry that is). I'll probably hold off any kind of registering until then.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

i just bought mine. keep it in the room i rent from a friend. GA's gun laws are pretty lax IMO. I need to get to the courthouse and pick up a concealed weapons permit

11. jason

jason Member

Jake, what did you go with?

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

i got an XD40 i'm bringin it up to ATL this coming weekend. i think greg and i are gonna go shoot it somewhere

13. Getting a permit isn't a bad idea, but like everyone else has said it's not necessary to keep it in your home or your vehicle..... I don't know of any apartment complex that doesn't allow guns be kept in the apartments, that whole Second Amendment thing and all.....

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

i think it falls under the private property thing. i forget where i saw it. but i questioned it too. turns out its very similar to the way that walmart or lowes or a mall can deny you the right to carry a weapon on their property, because they are private property owned by private individuals/companies that don't want you to have them on their property or something like that.

15. Greg

Greg Active Member

I've actually looked into renting an apartment in the past that denied the right to have a gun in the apartment. But if you plan on ever carrying the weapon in the vehicle with you, I'd suggest getting a CCW permit. It'll prevent any hassle down the road in the even that something may happen. Just use common since on where you keep it in the vehicle.
    i.e. Don't keep it in the glove box next to your insurance card... Catch my drift?

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

where can you keep it in the car then

17. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

You also need to watch out for college campuses and schools. They are no weapon zones and if for whatever reason you are caught with one it is no good.

18. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, that's pretty much why I'm not even going to bother with a concealed weapon permit until after I graduate.

19. I understand the private property thing, but at the same time an apartment is different than a store or a bank or a park or a bar or a school..... these are all (to one degree or another) privately owned pieces of property and there are laws prohibiting or restricting carrying firearms on the premises, but an apartment is a collection of residences where (by law in the state of Georgia) the occupants enjoy a reasonable expectation of privacy..... I understand that certain concessions must be made because of the nature of the apartment, but not at the cost of one's Constitutional rights..... if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.....

Bottom line, keeping a firearm at your apartment shouldn't pose a problem.....

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

well a park and a school (with the exception of private schools and maybe some parks) are owned by the state. and i know you can't have guns on state/federal properties.

like i said i couldn't remember when or where i saw it, but i know i have seen/heard of leases that don't allow weapons on the premises. i know if i owned a house and rented it out to people i would have every right to deny those people to have guns in my house. same idea.

if it were me i'd just check the lease. or hell, call the leasing office, i'm sure its come up before or they at least are aware of the answer.

21. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm with ya on that, but the complex on McEver in Gainesville clearly states that your not to have any type of firearm on the premesis. I thought it was a little messed up when I was told that, but it wasn't worth the fight, so I moved somewhere else.

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

JMO, but I think the whole apartment issue is a moot point. I'm not sure if my complex allows guns and I really don't care. If someone breaks in and I protect my family and stay safe.. and the complex hears about it and actually pitches a fit about my gun, then I'll move... Either way, a home invasion, or the complex somehow finding out about my gun ownership are both very highly unlikely situations I'm not losing sleep over...