Brett Favre Retires

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Jake, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

Just in case you haven't heard yet (WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING!!!), Brett Favre called it quits today. Definitely a sad day for sports, one of my favorite players of all time. And I think the biggest disappointment of all is that, he is truly a role model for youth; not an alcoholic, drugged-up, steroid abuser like a lot of other big names out there.

anyways, feel free to share your thoughts (good or bad) on the man.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

at least he quit before he got too old and washed up

3. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

lol man he was 39, he played wayy past his prime yet still amazing.

lets see what aaron rodgers can do now

4. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

being born in wisconsin this is one of the saddest days of my life.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'll bet a dollar he plays next year.. I don't care what he says now.. GB did so good last year and if you looked at him he was having a blast... He'll play again, u heard it hear first.........

6. heathbar

heathbar Member

I hate to correct you, cause Brett is awesome, but actually he went to rehab briefly for a Vicodin addiction and alcohol abuse...

I think the most inspiring thing is how LONG he played... Since he made his first start for GB in 1992, he NEVER MISSED A GAME!!! 275 straight starts. That will never happen again. Period. You just don't see that kind of heart and toughness anymore (not to mention staying with one team). :bowdown:

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

well, besides that. everyone likes vicodin!

8. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

about time

9. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

lol what sucks is that the falcons had him back in 1990...

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

He even played the week his father died so he could maintain the record. He's a cool mofo in my book.

11. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i played an honorary Madden game yesterday against a buddy who's from Chicago. GB vs. CH. i beat his ass 35-0! brett even hurt his shoulder and came back to throw a play-action TD to Double D!
    Brett is GOD to football. i was in the hall of fame at Lambeau field years ago when they announced him the MVP of the NFL for the 4th year in a row. it was one of the most awe-inspiring moments in my life. everyone was cheering and clapping and then we ALL started to cry. it was the biggest group huge ever. ok, i'll stop now.:hug:

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Self quote for my prediction about to come true... last I heard he's talking to the Jets right now.. Personally, I think GB would be crazy to let him go. He had an awesome year last year, I'd start him fo sho...

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

^^Good call, I bet he starts as well if not he will go elsewhere.

14. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I felt exactly the same way when John Elway retired.

15. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

espn says jets have been authorized to talk to favre at GB's training camp, but i'd love to see him go to the vikings so GB would see them twice a year

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

I hate to say it but I agree with the packers not letting him come back. That's would be the same as me quitting my job after 20plus years and someone replacing me. Then 4 months later I'm like nevermind I want my same position back when can I start?

17. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea, its a very bold move too but i think aaron rodgers is ready for the job. But what i dont get is why they just wont release him, they say they want to "preserve" his legacy oh and they want to do that by having him sit as the 2nd string quarter back instead of starting for another team.

18. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

They just don't want him signing with a team in the NFC north. Could you imagine Brett Favre in Bears Jersey? Nuff said...

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

respectfully disagree... Like him or dislike him, crusty old or not... he's still way better than 90% of the rest of the NFL's QB core. Brette Favre is Green Bay... and might as well be God in the cheese state. Don't get me wrong, I hate GB(I'm a Lions fan), but I think it'd be foolish for GB to retain him and put him on the bench behind someone who's unproven. If they did do that it would take about 1 loss before they made the switch for Favre anyways. I agree its a dick move on his part, hell he's done it for the last 3 years, thats why I called BS right when he did it.. But I feel for what he's accomplished and what he's done for GB they should afford him some latitude...

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah i agree with you on that point. he IS Green Bay. i love Brett Favre, honestly probly one of my favorite athletes of all time.

but here's my thing no matter who you are, its not just dick it just makes perfect sense why the packers wanna put him on the bench. now, i don't see why they won't just let him go but whatever.

another good analogy i thought of in conversation today is this (i guess its fitting i though of this since some say i'm an apple FANBOI): Favre's situation is more like if Steve Jobs told Apple he was selling all his shares and retiring. Then 4 months later he was like "wait a minute, i want back in and I wanna come back right where I left off, as CEO" then Apple saying, " sorry we already have Joe Blow and he is the future of this company if you come back you have to be his secretary and take notes for him"

or something along those lines. enough analogies, we all get the picture.

21. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I was a big Brett Favre fan...he is from Kiln,MS right?. I really respected him because of his work ethic like Cal Ripken Jr. and he also wasn't a thug like a lot of these high-priced athletes today are. He was the Iron Man in football like Cal was in baseball...I liked Favre also because he wasn't a media hog and always was a fairly private person.

Mark:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008