Next hot car????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

So I went by the dealership this weekend, just didn't feel that emotional pull to buy an 08sti. Yes they are sweet looking and nice inside.

However they really haven't changed as much as everyone had thought. They program and respond to mods the same as the previous years. I have owned STI's in the past and didn't think this would be any different than those.

Here comes my problem....

What cars are out or will be soon that offer the same level of excitement and performance?

If you owned a shop and were looking to buy a car, something that was nice and around the same price as the new STI but could be used to develope parts. Or even get into another market, what would it be?

I honestly haven't been keeping up with what cars are about to be released so maybe you guys could throw out some ideas of new cars about to hit the scene.

Thanks,

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

bmw 335i

3. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Go Audi.....

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Don't bother with Audi or anything else euro for that matter unless you want to buy a lot of very expensive specialty tools....wait you guys should do Audi.

5. jesus888

jesus888 Member

how about near the price range to 2 X STi's? I smell SKYLINE :) or what about the BMW 1-series?

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I went to mitsubishi and looked at the new Evo X. Needless to say it is pretty bad ass looking in person. And aren't they supposed to be a bit different from the previous years?

7. ....Subaru Legacy GT?

8. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

bwm 135 are going to be sick...the new pontiac gxp's seem like they would be crazy fun cars????

9. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I 2nd this one. Hell build one and keep a total of the cost of mods to compare against the cost of a new M3. I'm sure a modded 335 would rape an M3. Go for a 335xi if you want to keep with the AWD theme.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

In that price range the Kappa platform (solstice/sky) has gained tremendous popularity. We just completed an entire show car build -- full interior, modest exterior, etc (no engine or performance work though). The performance side is one area lacking on the platform in terms of R&D, etc. However, we have a customer coming up next month that's changed all of that up with a "special" engine swap ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  11. Deke

Deke Active Member

What I was going to say as well.

I don't know how much further off this is, or if it's even certain, but Hyundai has that Genesis coupe in the works. RWD and 300hp would be a fun car to toy with.

Or an Evo X :naughty:

12. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i like that pontiac idea too...but i'd save up for the skyline, that'll be a nice highend customer base too. probably willing to pay big bucks for more go.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  13. Alex

GTR stylee!

14. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I think the 135i, at that price, is going to be huge. BECAUSE the parts for the typical BMW are so expensive there is absolutely room for the moderate priced shops to get in the door on this vehicle. I would think the new Ralliart will do well once released, and while not a "hot" car, the new Opel (woops, I mean Saturn) Astra looks like a nice little car that could develop a bit of a tuner following...

15. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ agree.

The 135 is hot. It's got the tt inline-6, and 6-pots for braking...

If I were to go look at any other car tomorrow, that would be the #1 on my list.
    Followed by the C6 and then the Pontiac G8.

Also, I hate to say it, but you may want to look at the super-compact cars that are
    coming out.

16. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Unless you already have a downpayment in on a new GTR, I doubt you could go to a dealership and get one now. I would almost guarantee they are all spoken for at this point. Also, 2 X STI's, not quite. They are supposed to start at around $70k, but I would bet my life that dealers are going to mark it up to around the $90k or more range when they are first released.

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I would love to see someone do something with like a used Caddy CTS. I am so sick of seeing Subies, Evos, 240s, Civics, etc... I really want to see something different.

BMWs would be good, but they are getting to be more and more common. I have never really seen a done up CTS. The car has great potential, though a really small aftermarket following. Might be out of the price range you are looking also. Aside from that, maybe a Volvo S60R..

18. Alex

So...with your 90k that would be more than 2x STi drive out price :)

19. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Solstice/Sky FTW (especially the GXP/Redline)

20. schneid

schneid Member

well if were considering the cts-v then lets go ahead and throw in the 300c srt8 and cherokee srt8

like gtsscoob said, I think the new hyundai platform will be popular and worth looking into

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

I like the solstice/sky idea. They are priced around the same as a miata and have a turbo 4 producing 240 hp from the factory. They look pretty good, and like was mentioned befor there isn't a huge market for aftermarket stuff yet. Perfect opportunit for a shop to get into it.

22. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

agreed...doug already had fun tunin my bros srt8 cherokee "SRT8UUP" =)

23. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would like to see a legacy gt done right!

:naughty:

24. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

if you're front the $$ then we can do mine. lol

25. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

bmw 135i

put an LSD in the rear and it will probably destroy the new M3.

and I veto the solstice/sky. that was the most uncomfortable car I have ever ridden in. my knees were on my damn chin with the seat all teh way back...and I'm not that tall

26. Meredith

Meredith Banned

LOL Who said sports cars were comfortable ;)

27. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Everything is so watered down these days... you could really just go get something and people would need what you make.

I think the 135 is going to be BIG around here, but I'll bet most of them are going to be leased so they may not buy a ton of mods.

Looking at what Subaru typically does, I'll bet the '09 STi has several different parts and the '10 is going to be totally different. It may not be a wise move to get one as a project/show car because it'll look out dated too quickly.

28. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Nobody has mentioned the Mazdaspeed 3? I mean sure it is FWD, but a 2.3 Direct Injection 4 banger turbo with 263 crank hp from the factory for $22k? I think there could a good market for this car - I mean it is cheap and reasonably useful as a DD hatchback. I saw one of these in black the other day and it is a pretty sharp car...

If you want to get more into a niche market, look at the 135i and the 335i. Vishnu has a tune for the 335i and they get about ~320 whp and 300 wlb/ft with a tune and a catback, but I have heard that Vishnu runs a little more lean than some like. I definately think there is a lucrative market for boosted Bimmers. If you drive a BMW, you expect to pay more $$$ for upgrades.

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I was thinking solstice/sky myself... I personally cant fit in one at all but.. If the Miata kicks that much ass on the track I can imagine those 2 doing pretty well modded up...

30. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

torque steer FTL :)
    The mazdaspeed 6 had 4wd although with a front bias right?

I would love to see a project car with a diesel, RWD or 4WD. Torque monster!

31. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I second the Hyundai coupe. I think it'll be a winner. 300hp, RWD, and rumors of Hyundai entering Formula D will make it real popular with the STi/Evo/240SX/etc crowd. AKA most of your customer base if I'm correct.

32. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

dude you could always go with an 08 rex...

33. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Don't call it a rex.

And oh oh oh pick me!!!

/threadjack.

34. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Be serious, nobody likes those! :keke:

I didn't think of the Diesel Subies coming out in 2009! I am very interested in those...

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I test drove the Saturn Redline Sky and to tell you the truth I LOVE IT! It was a blast to drive but I'm a sucker for convertible turbo RWD cars.....they are such a blast.

36. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I've heard that they are a blast to drive.... if they didn't have such a short second gear I would have bought one for A Stock....

37. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

But you went with an S2000 instead, which would be a cool car for doug to dig into, at least imo.

38. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I went with an S2000 because it's a proven winner for the class and I got to buy the current national champ's car :)

I see the GXP/Redline as more of a tuner car since it's turbo and therefore a bit easier to tweak for power. I don't think the S2000 has the same ability to easily bolt on parts or tune for large gains like the STi/WRX does. I know Janssen's Ap2 had all sorts of issues with his tune and i've heard tons of horror stories about turboed s2000s.

Personally I think the s2000 is awesome from in stock form... you know why mess with perfection ;P

39. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I would tend to agree with you on this. With engine work you can turbo the car but they don't seem to like it as much.

40. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I have heard positive things about supercharging the S2Ks... I know its not the same power gains as Turbos, but I would love to drive a supercharged Stook.

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah it was a BLAST! Second is kinda short though but it ramped up the boost fast for stock. I was superbly impressed with the way the engine was laid out. It would be SOOOOOOO easy to do a turbo swap and all on it. Everything is right there on the pass. side in plain view. You can wrap your ARMS around it....that's how much room there was there at the turbo.

42. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

How about the Lexus IS300? With the new body shape out they should have came down in price a bit and they're a great car with drivers who usually spend a chunk of money.

43. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Sweet... I like all the suggestions. So far seems like I am leaning torwards the GXP/SKY or 135 Bmw

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug I think the SKY looks TONS better than the GXP and you don't see many of them. The GXP is getting big....I saw a show on Speed that was nothing but people competing to drive the GXP for GM.

45. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

Even though the GTR is out of price range, it would be a much better high profile shop car and in line with the current tuner market. Would probably drum up business for Nissan 350z/g35 owners wanting turbo kits as well.

46. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

From a business/marketing perspective you can't go wrong with either of these rides. Keep in mind though, they both are relatively low volume, nitch cars.

Are there other BMW tunners in Atlanta already? How big is the enthusiast base?

The Kappa twins are good because the weather in Atlanta lends itself to there being many convertible owners. But are they tunners?

47. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

48. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I just am not sure what the overall buyer of the skystice is going to be looking for in the way of the aftermarket. The car is okay to drive, nice power, but felt heavy to me when I cross shopped the Miata (MX-5) and the Skystice. They do have a fairly cheap feeling interior, but the GXP/Redline is a little better in that area, and you can't knock the turbo. I guess I just don't see either of these cars really being a halo car. Not sure you could squeeze much more power out of them either, without serious engine modification. What about either the Lotus 2-11

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/lotus_2-eleven_track_car.html

or the Atom? There is supposed to be a new V8 coming out soon. 4Sevens has an Atom for sale I believe...

49. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I was thinking about mentioning the Sky/Solstice but those seem like a drastically different market than what most of us look for. Either way, build up a shop car with an LS1 swap.

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Personally I think Doug and company need to use a car that the market is fairly popular in. Subaru is taken care of....Evo is too (Doug do you still have your shop Evo?)

From a standpoint of making Topspeed money the shop car needs to be a popular car that a lot of other people have. Having said that....that may axe the Sky/Solstice.

Doug exactly what are you looking for in a shop car? Something to draw a crowd? Something flat out fast (non-issue as any of your cars will be fast)? Something that will make potential customers say "Hey this shop has my brand/make car and it's fast reliable and well fast! I want their business!"?