Next hot car????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Ive was reading Automobile the other day and there seems to be a big push coming up for diesels in just about everything. Just a thought.

To be fair though there was an article of how successful SATURN has been in recent years and how it shows no sign of leveling off.

2. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

3. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i also think 135i is a good area to investigate (i would LOVE to hear that an awd ver is in the plans)... solstic/sky aren't a bad place to poke around either. and looking at the supercompacts/scion might yield interesting market opps.

hyundai(sp?) is definitely on the horizon... keep your eye on them.

4. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Trying to figure out what will be the next hot market for tuners.

Anyone know how many Skystice's they are going to make?

And what about that Hyundai?

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ If the new Tiburon actually looks like its prototype and has 300hp I think it'd sell pretty good and be something to build on...

6. schneid

schneid Member

another suggestion is to try to target the scion market...I see Tc's everywhere and most appear to be stock.

perhaps do some testing on what makes reliable power on the scion models...maybe some complete staged packages like you've made for the subarus. staged suspension kits, sc packages, turbo packages

I havent done any research on aftermarket support for these cars (i know there is a trd blower kit) but this could be an untapped local market

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The Scion market is getting VERY popular with the young crowd and older as well but still FWD Sucks....lol

8. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

AGREED.... people that are going to go out and buy a GTR are more than likely going to be someone that has interest in modding cars, not just buying and driving..especially when it comes to a highly anticipated Japanese car like the GTR.... my boss is #18 on the GTR list..and he's also got a VW touareg turbo diesel, an m6 and a SUBARU BAJA...black on black w/ upgraded turbo...(Thanks SS and whoever at SOG at the time)..and some other stuff....but any who like ramblinwrx said it would bring business from the 350z/g35 owners..just my .02

9. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

They sell about 10,000-13,000 a year. Same with the Pontiac. Not a volume carline but neither is Subaru (about 10-13k STI's a year, most not in the south.)

The BMW is a better business case in this area. If you learn the 335 engine you'll be better off. Those guys spend money on their cars and parts are crazy expensive too.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

BMW are crazy. The turbo kit for the M3 is $18,000!

11. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

make BMW after market cheap and you'll get ALOTTTTTTTTT of business

exhausts should not cost 2000....

12. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

Lotus Elise. ;)

13. schneid

schneid Member

you referring to the horsepowerfreaks kits? those things are insane

14. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

speaking of bmw...saw new m3 on 316...some lady driving it
    /thread jack

15. Well, if I had to buy a car right now my preference would be:
    1. BMW 135i
    2. BMW 335i
    3. 08 STI
    4. BMW 535i

So for what its worth, the x35i engine would be a safe bet to develop on according to my car wish list.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think that was it. That kit has to have a serious markup though.

17. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

The TC's really are a popular car...

Siegel

18. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

has the 350z been done ot death yet? you guys have a Corvette there!

those are two high volume cars (relative) right there

19. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

hells yeah ^^^ x2

20. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

How many Elises do they sell per year? I mean i see them every once and awhile...

21. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

True but imagine that car FULLY built + the way you can already throw it around = teh sex imo! I think it would show Topspeeds flexibility as far a car niche's

22. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I say just go with a GTR. Its got to be one of the most anticipated cars of the year and if you have one people will go to your shop just to see it.

Im afraid if you guys go with a Bmer people will think you are Eurotuners and go somewhere else

23. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I disagree. I don't think there will be too many GTRs around for awhile to begin with, let alone people who want to modify their $80k G35 ..errr skyline.

I think you could go with the Bimmer crowd if you beat the current "Eurotuner" price point and then more people would buy and modify their BMWs.

Just my .02c

24. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I think Doug should get a 135 and I'll get a G35 Coupe with 6spd and Bremos ;)

Siegel

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree!

Scott remember Mr. Hubbard? He's selling his WRX because he just put in his order for his 135i! Custom built and he will get to drive it on his honeymoon in Europe. It's CHEAP for what it is....$37,000 delivered to the US.