sti swap

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by osborne519, Mar 15, 2008.

1. osborne519

osborne519 Member

what will i need for a full sti motor and tranny swap?
    what yr has the best engine?cost?
    what yr has the best transmission?cost?
    what will i need to do it or where should i get it done and the cost?

i have an 02 wagon and i plan on doing this towards the end of this summer

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

you can get a brand new 07 6 speed from the dealership at $3500.
    I bought a long block for $3500 as well.

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

You looking at 257s or 207s? As far as 207s go, the ver7 have forged pistons which last longer at high HP levels. All of the 257s and ver8+ 207s have cast pistons which will need to be replaced around 400whp.

Tranny wise, 1-4 is the same on all 6speeds up until 2007. USDM 5-6 are longer than JDM 5-6 so your cruising revs will be higher. 2007 has a longer 1-2 I believe which is better for the lower redline of the 257.

If you're looking at USDM 257s its probably much cheaper to get a donor car and rip the motor/tranny/brakes from it and part out the rest.

I found my JDM 207 for less than the price of many 257s here. If you want a ride lemme know, its quite different from the normal 205 and the 257. 257 will have much more low end and you'll probably pick up 80lbft of torque over your 2.0. 207 will still have much more low end than the 205 but not nearly as much as the 257 but can rev higher and has better heads/cams for topend HP.

Most shops will charge you less than a grand for install. I'd PM Liquidforce too, he's got everything needed for motorswaps and also has killer prices.

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

to clarify, cruising revs will be higher with the japanese tranny.

one thing to look at s drive by wire setups. If you can find a DBW JDM setup, it will be a little easier to swap, and you can use your USDM ECU (you will lose AVCS, however). If not, and you get an engine with a DBW setup/manifold, you will need to do a little extra work. In any event, if you aren't going to change the cams later on, having AVCS is a big plus and you'll want to figure out a way to make it work, depending if you have a USDM or JDM donor motor. clear as mud right? :)

5. osborne519

osborne519 Member

ok i heard that the 07s were fly by wire and the sensors were faulty

i heard the 06s were good
    and btw all the other stuff sounds like a different language and are yall gonna be at the autox on sunday if so im picking up a ypipe so i can get my car back on the road

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

EJ205 is the stock 2.0 in 02-05 WRXs.
    EJ257 is the 2.5 turbo motor with AVCS from the STI, Legacy GT, Forester XT, Baja XT
    EJ207 is the japanese 2.0 with AVCS.

7. osborne519

osborne519 Member

Avc's ?

8. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

9. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

now does that come with everything necessary for the swap? driveshaft, hubs,axles,Dccd controller/harness, differential etc.?

10. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

None of the above.

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea, its just the tranny. You can talk to techlord for a better breakdown of the cost

12. osborne519

osborne519 Member

im thinking about buying a totaled rear end collision car and doing it that way for starters then if i want a different motor ill sell that one and go from there

13. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

The only thing you might need then is possibly the rear differential and the axels, but you can get those cheap enough.

14. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

that's the best way to do it...buy a totaled car for good price then get what you need....then part rest of it. If you don't want to go that route...you can find REALLY good deals on swaps on nasioc and other forums.

15. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

You might be suprised at how much a totalled STI can go for at a yard. My brother is in the business and finding a total with good running gear is gonna cost near $10K in most cases.

16. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea i saw one that was in roswell,ga on nasioc selling a v7 sti tranny for 3500 + all supporting parts you need or $4k installed now thats a deal!

17. dpbgst13

dpbgst13 Member

totaled sti

Where is the best place to find a totaled Sti? I know a junkyard but where? Every time i call one no buddy has one or knows what one is. Are there any subaru junk yards around here or in driving distance(500miles)?

18. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

hmmm... just pay attention on forums for sombody that is selling a totaled one. Maybe google search it everyone once in awhile

19. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

If you call a bigger yard, they will be electronically linked and can search other yards for what you need.