Free Clutch :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

I just got a free clutch from Competition Clutches. A friend of mine works for them, and since they haven't been in the market to make AWD clutches, he talked them into it. So for the first one in production, they want to put it on my car and see how it does for free. Its a $900 6-puck clutch

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

i thought you were giving away a free clutch. tease!

haha

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

bastard...

and by that, i mean lucky bastard...

4. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

didn't you just replace your clutch? you can give your old one to me and you can run the cc :)

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, but I just replaced it with the OEM Exedy clutch... It sucks worse than the stock one. It slips when I go WOT

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

I just found out that it comes with a lightweight flywheel too :)

7. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

lucky!!

8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I had a CC Clutch in my wrx like 3 years ago, Chris the owner hooked me up with that one, make sure you tell him no sintered iron disk, unless you want to break a tranny.

Matt

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Greg has a Sti.....would that break with that disk Matt?

10. FACE

FACE Active Member

Cool Bro!

I'm getting a new motor :naughty:

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

I never launch it, so thats really not a big deal

12. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

With the 4 puck sintered iron disk it grabbed so hard that you couldn't leave a stop sign unless you were slipping the clutch at...atleast 3500rpms.

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

The deal is that I run the kit, report back with suggestions/complaints, and if needed, problems are fixed in a new kit and its installed... I'll ask about the sintered disk

14. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Awesome dude! Good luck with it.

I also thought you were giving away a free clutch. Tease.

15. Greg

Greg Active Member

From CC:
    "EVERYTHING will be included from ur bearing kit, pressure plate, clutch disc and the flywheel. im not sure on the exact type of material the friction surface will be made of......ill have to get with our R&D guy on that. this has been 5 months in the making from getting the plate made with the right amount of PSI and plate load to what amount of pucks to use to the type of friction surface. mathematically everything should hold 400whp and i have no doubt in my mind it will but we just have to make sure everything will work properly...which it will but its just one of thoose things we got to do. we are doing the same thing with another local guy for his evo. i just dont know alot of sti people and ur car being an 06 it helps cause we know ur slave and master is still fresh and new. the only thing we ask for is to run our windshield banner which u can see on my Z in some of my pics...its not gaudy and itll look really good on ur car with it being white and put something in ur sig...link to our website or "proudly supported by competition clutch" or something of that nature...ill also most likely get with u to do a photoshoot of ur car once u get the windshield banner so we can use pics of ur car for our website, myspace page, fliers, ect...

in the end ur getting a clutch kit and flywheel that will retail for allmost 900 bucks for free....free is allways good. and if u can deal with rocked our sticker and putting something in ur sig on forums then ur getting some pretty expensive shit for free!

if u have any questions AT ALL or any concerns just let me know and i can let u know whats going on. itll most likely be next week sometimes and u can come pick up for kit/fly from Competition Clutch in Conyers if u down for it."

16. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I almost ordered that OEM Exedy clutch yesterday, but order the OEM instead. After reading your experience with it I am happy with my decision.

17. WJM

WJM Banned

i was about to say...I've been installing CC clutches in SUBARUs since 2004. I cant count how many I've installed.

IIRC I put one in Trey's 04 STi in mid-2005 after his FP Green made the stocker slip.

Something is missing here...

18. Greg

Greg Active Member

Since I don't have the time to install it this time myself, who would you all suggest I have install it?

19. wrxin8or

Liquid_Force, pEd, or kingwrex at Classic

the three of them are the most knowledgeable suby people in Atlanta, IMO

20. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, I agree. I hate to dump it on them though. Usually when I do something like that, I work with em side by side, but I just don't have the time anymore. I know Ped and Stephen are busy with Dana, and Alex's motor swap...

21. wrxin8or

other than that....TopSpeed and Lethal Injection Tuning (lethal just helped 2pt5rs with a bunch of work on his car, and Socrates constantly refers to their good work)

22. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I had a CC 2 years ago so they have made them for AWD. They're yanking your dick if they say otherwise. It engaged well and was easy to modulate but damn that lightweight flywheel and the springs on the clutch made ungodly amounts of noise on deceleration. I thought my subaru was going to asplode. That got taken off in less than 2k miles.