Gettin a bike

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by silverscoob, Mar 29, 2008.

1. silverscoob

silverscoob Member

I'm thinkin about gettin a bike this summer, anyone have any suggestions? I was thinkin about GSX-R 750 or CBR 600RR. Also, what kind of gas mileage do these things get?

2. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I have always wanted a moped, but they don't go fast enough to drive anywhere other than local roads.

I heard that you can get over 200mpg easily on a moped. As for gas mileage on a sport bike like a GSX-R bike, I read that you can get 40 mpg commuting, 50 traveling, and 35 sport riding. It all depends on your driving style.

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

You didn't say how much experience you have, but sportbikes with fairings don't make good 1st bikes. I recommend small displacement dual sports for 1st bikes. They can get down the highway well enough, don't damage too easily and can be muscled around til you pick up some biking finesse.

BTW, I'm riding a Concours 14 lately.

4. silverscoob

silverscoob Member

I have ridden a few bikes before but I don't really have much experience. I was just thinkin maybe a 600 or 750.

5. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

CBR1000 thats where its at
    but i was looking at getting a 600RR and found new ones on ebay locally for $3000

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

gsx'r FTW

7. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

buddy of mine had an 05 r6. fun bike and they have a really short wheel base which i always like on bikes. he got around 150 miles to the tank or so he said, and i think its only a 2-3 gallon tank. if gas prices go above $4 i am buying a used one for sure. but like everyone said a sport bike is not the greatest choise for learning to ride. you will get yourself in trouble really really fast.

8. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

i loved my R6, if i were to get another bike on a similar budget i would get an 03+ R6 instead of the carb'd 99 i had.

9. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I'm also looking to buy a bike this year. I thought 250 at first but everybody keeps telling me go 600 instead. I don't know what kind to get but I'm looking at a budget of 3 grand.

10. jjanari

jjanari Member

As someone who's ridden for several years, I would first recommend taking the MSF course. A friend of mine taught me to ride, but I ended up taking the MSF course years later and still learned a few things after several years of riding.

If you're set on a sportbike, I would recommend a kawi ex500, older honda CBR 600 F2 ('91-94) (or even F3 (96-to 98)), or an suzuki sv650.

a lot of people will say to go bigger so you don't grow out of the bike. imho, that's silly. first, like someone here already mentioned, you will likely drop your first bike, if you don't lay it down altogether, whether it's a buddy that rides it or it falls over in your driveway; the bigger the bike, the steeper the learning curve. btw, you can easily find one of the above bikes i mentioned for less than 3k.

second, if you legitimately find that you've outgrown it in a short period of time, you'll have no problem selling it for near what you paid for it (barring any subsequent damage you might do to it). i've had several bikes (all used) that I've sold for at or near what I paid for them. I've started off with an old '85 ninja 600 back in '95. i know ride an '02 speed triple.

finally, I don't know your age. while your age doesn't mean anything to me, it will to most insurance companies, particularly given the bike you get. I pay about 400 bucks a year for just liability on my triple (perfect driving record), but only 180 for my '00 yamaha 650 v-star cruiser. i.e. the triple is considered a sportbike (and is 955 cc's!) while the v-star is only 650 and not a sportbike. things to consider.

good luck.

-jimmy

11. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

i just sold my 2006 honda cbr 600RR. the bike was awsome and i will miss it this summer even though im glad its gone. bikes are dangerous no matter how safe you try to be. good luck with your decision and think twice before you actually get one

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I don't think I'd get one here in Atlanta, unless you live way out of the city... Seems like Atlanta drivers have never been around bikes before... tailing them, cutting them off, generally just not seeing them at all. Can count how many times I've seen near misses and just very dangerous situations, all from people not paying attention... No thanks, the STI is fast enough.

13. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

I know some one selling a 92' CBR600 F2 for $1700

14. jjanari

jjanari Member

great bike. potentially great price depending upon the condition. I had the red/white version for that year, as well as the black, purple pink version offered that year as well.

15. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

This one is black with purple decals or vinyls and has been laid down

16. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

+1 to all of that! :bigthumb:

17. silverscoob

silverscoob Member

yeah I'll deff. be taking that course. I'm only 19 and I have some experience (dirt bike and 4-wheeler) but I also have a perfect record.Oh and btw I think I've decided on a 2007 Honda CBR 600RR for $2800.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Don't get anything over 750cc for your first bike. I'd personally recommend a 600cc bike. It's lighter and easier to manuever and is great to learn on. Also they are fast any way you put it. May not be the fastest but I can guarantee it's faster than your car ;)

My first bike was a F3 CBR 600 with a full race setup....it was a blast to drive and I miss it. My next bike will likely be a R6 Yamaha.

19. silverscoob

silverscoob Member

Yeah, I think the CBR is gonna be enough...at least for a little while.

20. jjanari

jjanari Member

$2,800??? is that a typo? or is that price just for the fairings?:sx:

seriously, I would jump on it, flip it, and then take the cash to get one of the older bikes I mentioned, and have some $$$ left over to go towards the gear and insurance.

the 600rr is a lot of bike,but you'll be able to handle it if you don't act like an ass.

either way, good luck, you'll have a great time. but keep some $$ set aside for insurance and gear.

gear includes:
    1) a good quality helmet (don't buy used): $250-$450
    2) a motorcyle jacket that can be used for summer and winter (i.e. zip in liner, vented); quality varies widely, but look to spend at least $200 for a decent one.
    3) well fitting gloves, around $50+
    4) motorcycle boots; $150 or so

watch out for hand me downs because it's essential the above items are in good condition and fit perfectly.

if you have this stuff already, cool. if not, cyclegear (smyrna) or WOW in marietta are good local places to check out.

21. silverscoob

silverscoob Member

yeah it's $2,800 with a helmet and jacket. the guy is moving to the UK and needs to get rid of it because it's costing him money to store it. I'll deffinately have some money left over for insurance and other gear since my budget was $7,000.

22. jjanari

jjanari Member

damn, man, that's a steal. jump on it. but $2,800??? I would think he could get more than that even if he sold it to a dealer. but yeah, if it's a clean title, it's a no-brainer.

btw, I've got a silver '02 bugeye like yours, so we must have the same tastes in rides:)

-jimmy

23. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

suzuki gs500

[​IMG]