Poor experience with Subaru of Gwinnett Alignments

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by crashtke, Apr 1, 2008.

1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Well, to start with let me say my car has Eibach springs. It was lowered when I got the car at 70k miles. I am sure that on a bone stock Subaru they would be fine, but on a modified car, forget it. I don't know if it is the specs they are using or what, but I have now gone through 3 sets of tires, ALL 4 of them having the inside edge eaten away about 15,000-20,000 miles before the rest of the tire was due to be replaced. I was showing steel and threads on the inside edge and still had like 8/32nds of tread on the rest of the tire. I could understand if it was a different problem each time or on different wheels each time, but it is the EXACT same thing on 3 sets of tires. And they are wearing on all 4 wheels at the same time, not just the front or back.

I called SOG and Jill was very understanding and could see my issue, but upon talking to the service manager (forgot his name in my irritation), he was willing to do nothing and explained it all away as just the car going out of alignment every time in the EXACT same manner on ALL 4 wheels in a little over 20,000 miles on 3 sets of tires. He just said that he was sure it was the same problem that kept happening and it must be from all the potholes in the road...yeah RIGHT!!

I paid a premium at SOG for these alignments. I could have gone to Pep Boys or Tires Plus and got the same alignment for half the price. And I am not necessarily blaming the tech, because he showed me the print out after he was done, and it was within Subaru's specs, but I guess on a lowered car, those specs are just not right. Regardless the service manager was not willing to come off of the fact that it was the exact same issue 3 times in a row, even after paying $129.xx or something like that for an alignment 2 times in a row.

At this point I am going to take the car to Gran Turismo and hopefully they can get it sorted out. I can't afford to keep going through tires at this rate. But I will not be going back to Subaru of Gwinnett and paying $129 for an alignment that does not seem to do any good for the issue I am having.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

search WJM's recent threads...he recently posted up one saying that he feels SoG's alignment rack is out of alignment

3. crashtke

Could be...I know he did my last alignment at SOG and did it almost EXACTLY to the specs on their machine.

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

5. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

6. crashtke

hmmm had not seen that before, but if they are not planning on doing anything about it, there is no sense in be paying MORE money for another bad alignment from that shop. Not only that, but the Service manager was not understanding or in the least bit concerned.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Damn Mike that really sucks. I noticed my tires were wearing from TOE due to the last alignment I got from SoG. I went to GTE last time and it was the best experience ever. I highly recommend them!

8. crashtke

I don't think I have heard a negative thing about GTE other than their location relative to mine, lol. Glad to hear another positive recommendation!

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

+1 for GTE, been there 3 times and they allways treat you right....

10. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

dean at Americas Best is amazing!!

11. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

get the before alignment and after alignment specs maybe with data you can get something back from SOG or at least something factual

12. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

and i have $10 off coupons bringing the total to 59.99 :) he aligns high end cars

13. crashtke

Where is the America's best. I have not had time to get my car lined up yet, work has been crazy...what can I say, when the weather warms up, the beer industry starts booming!

14. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

you won't be disappointed with GTE. With so many problems with the SOG alignments, i'd go there and get it taken care of rather than trying something cheap :)

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Another +1 for GTE. When it comes to alignment nobody but them will ever touch my car.

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

someone say beer? I need to buy you one. :)

Who do you work for?

17. crashtke

Miller, but it would probably be much cheaper for me to get it :) I get a nice discount.