Thinking about business opportunities .

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsvwrx, Apr 10, 2008.

1. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

My Partner( no not gay partner just an investor) and i are wanting to buy a subway or a food franchise. Something to invest 40-60k in to... with a decent return and something we could buy more of (2 or 3). Anyone any a clue about this stuff?

Thanks!

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

usually, the best way to start with franchise-type investments, is contacting the company you want to franchise.

you can most likely find something on their specific website relating on what/who to contact regarding franchising.

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Well, i was wondering if someone had some experience dealing with franchises them selves.. like is it even a good deal?

I want to continue to work my job( as a software developer) and hire people ( just like there would be in subway or quiznos) and let them run it.

4. WJM

WJM Banned

Dude, if you buy a subway, make the FUCK sure its got fresh-soft-moist bread at all times. That will keep customers coming back and SUPER happy. There are only two subways I've found like that and I go WAY out of my way to go back to them.

5. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

what Will said..

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I wouldn't be running it at all. Just the owner.

What my goal here is:
    Buy a subway with 60k cash ( rest loan) year 1
    Buy a subway with 60k-80k cash ( rest loan) year 2

and continue from there. and of course as i said i wouldn't be running them and working my current job, simply because my time is wroth more than a subway managers salary.

7. WJM

WJM Banned

well you should make it clear to the ppl who operate the stores to have fresh fucking bread. ;)

It will net larger profits from the increased volume of ppl coming in.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I would personally look into a zaxby's over a subway. just my .02 :)

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Subways tend to have lower starting costs, my partner and i are both young... so anything over 60-70k would be pushing it..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  10. Matt

I understand that....lower starting costs equal lower quality IMO....Subway is the bottom of the barrel now a days as far as subs go....

11. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

quiznos perhaps? Its really hard getting started in a business and im not stuck on food service or anything.. Any other business suggestions?

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Jimmy Johns or Chipotle.

But then again, I would not make an investment into an area I knew very little about.

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

That is very true. This wouldnt be until this time next year. So until then i would be doing some massive research. I just need to figure out the general direction i am going in.
    Food service or something else..

14. heathbar

heathbar Member

If there was a zaxby's near midtown I would go A LOT!!!

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

that would mean id have to build it. ~500k not sure if 60-70k would cover the cost.. going to talk it over with my partner..

]

16. Matt

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

"Collective net worth of at least $650,000, with liquid assets greater than $300,000 (liquidity being defined as cash or any asset that could be converted to cash within ten business days)."

Zaxbys

Once again, 300,000 is not something id have now.. or even in the next few years =/

18. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

no matter what kind of business you get in to...you will need to have a lot of time on your hands. starting a business is a big risk....lost of $ involved...not something u wana jus sit someone down say..your resume looks good..your hired. subway is a good idea..because yes the costs are cheap compared to many others.....but almost any food place will be succesful.....hope you guys can figure out something...and best of luck to you both!

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

In understand exactly what your saying. I am in the beggning stages of looking for one and research. All things considered i can take the risk atm. Living with parents, making decent money...

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

so it takes roughly $300k to start a Zaxby's?

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

My parents looked into a pizza hut about 8 years ago and the minimum buy in price was a million dollars at the time. Not sure if it still is but it had something to do with Pepsi and their fees tacked onto pizza huts fees or something of the sort.

22. Matt

do eeet!!!

Zaxbys owners eat free! :D

23. WJM

WJM Banned

Well, if they've got FRESH fucking bread...its not at the bottom. ;)

24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

it atakes !650k to start a zaxbys, just 300k cash

25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah places that usually have HUGE sitting rooms, and arnt at a side of a building have costs that are fucking ridiculous

26. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i'd look into chipotle, 5guys, subway (i think they're overdone), quiznos, chick-fil-a (which is very easy to get as long as you join their christian cult), and einstien bros. research the 'health conscious' chains more because that's where quick-serve is going/has gone.

the above are consistently SLAMMED almost everyday in the mall of ga area.

stay away from coffee shops, SB is freezing store growth (and maby contracting) and the current CEO is having a hard time finding his sphincter with both hands, meanwhile SBC is expanding, but slowly. it's a stale market.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  27. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

5 guys or Jersey Mikes, subway sucks balls, even with fresh bread the pre sliced meat and wilted lettuce taste awful, and I not even sure what that mayonaise substitute is?

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

interesting. So food really is where to stay?

29. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Holy cheet I want a Brugers Bagels anywhere near altanta. I go every time I go back to NC. Einstein's does not hold a flame to Brugers. And their Jalapeño Cream Cheese is like spicy sex in your mouth.

30. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

who wants to donate to the cause...

the cause being making money..

31. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Im always down to make a solid Investment.

I noticed a few folks suggested Chipolte; which I agree are great but privately owned so no franchising available.

32. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Honestly, be very careful with any franchise you may decide to buy into. They have ways of screwing you on things that can completely kill your profit.

My parents bought into an Italian Ice franchise in PA. It cost a rediculous amount to get the business started, and then to buy the products to make the Italian Ice had to be bought thru the franchise. My dad found out that they were charging him 3 times what he could get the stuff for without having to go thru the franchise. They also screwed him over on the advertising, and several other things. He was luckily able to get out of the franchise, and kept the shop open independently, but I know of several other people who also have trouble with the parent company, and have no way to escape.

33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

thanks for the advice 420, interesting. i wonder what else can be done.

34. monk

yeah, it doesn't appear that they offer franchises, but they are publicly held.

35. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

They are???? Do you know there stock ticker symbol? Thats an Investment opportunity there! Chipolte is GREAT!

36. monk

cmg... but DO your homework, the rally on this one happened last year and right now the stock is expensive.

52 Week High 155.49
    52 Week Low 62.55
    Current 112.89

look into oil, agriculture, drybulk shipping... and if it were two weeks ago i would have said gold.

37. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Thanks man, I always do. One of the best Investment tips i've ever received: was to look at what you and your peers are buying and invest in those things or the company that makes them. ( I and my friends love chipolte; I didn't realize the price was that high. I'd say you are right about not to buy chipolte at this time)

To comment on the other info you mentioned I sold most of my Bank Stock before the Housing Slump and reinvested in Gold then when it was round 7-800 an ounce. I have a degree in marketing so I tend to use that general knowledge to make informed investment decissions. And If it were two-weeks ago I should have bought Bear Stearns when it was at $2 a share; after the smoke cleared it went to $10. I was thinking to act but didnot contact my Broker in time; could of made big bucks quick.

38. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

39. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I had a conversation with a lawyer that got into the Subway franchises.

He said the 1st one they opened, he ran and it was very successful. Then they opened a 2nd one and his wife ran it and it was successful. Then they opened the 3rd one and hired people to run it.

He said that all the money they made on the 1st two was just enough to cover all the money they lost on the 3rd. The employees were robbing them blind to the point he had to install cameras all along the back counter. Also, the people he hired weren't too concerned about customer service, so their sales dried up.

I would not open any business that you don't plan on babysitting the daily operations for a long time.

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

My partner will run it( be there all the time)

41. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

zaby's! the owners always eat free!

42. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

43. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

buy one with 2 investors 40%(me) 40%( friend) 20%(other guy)
    my friend and I would demand a certain amount every month and the other guy would run the place and anyother places we buy

Me and friend
    |
    other guy
    |
    |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | | |
    Food place Food place Food place
    | | |
    Employees Employees Employees

44. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i dunno if its been said yet, but you should not get into franchising cold.

that is to say, if you're wanting a subway franchise, you should probably work in a subway for at least 6 months.

Most experts, and even Clark Howard, tend to cite high failure rates of franchises being caused by a lack of willingness to become involved at every level of the company, or the expectation that the business will just run itself while management collect profits. People who fall into these categories are usually people who've not worked in what they're franchising before...

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/6/84/174/

however, Clark does go on to say that downturns in the economy are a good time to try this kind of thing:
    http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/1/286/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  45. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Intresting, but i plan on giving it for management.. so shouldnt the manager ( or the super manager i should say) be leaving all that ?

46. Matt

what's the franchise costs for a firehouse subs?

47. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

You may want to research this other than a Subaru board. Don't get me wrong, this board is phenomenal. But opening a franchise will involve tremendous market research: Demographics analysis, SWOT analysis: StrengthsWeaknessesOpportunitiesThreats and then putting together a business plan to present to a financial institution, especially if you have a lower capitol investment? You must also contact SUBWAY. It really boils down to, research and of course, location, location and like WJM said da fucking bread. PM me I will give you some tips!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  48. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

That is true.

Thanks all for the advice!

49. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Sonic is a great franchise to get into food cost there is very low (they serve a lot of drinks) So profit is high. I dont think now is a great time to get involved with a franchise with the economy crisis. Maybe you and your partner should find a chef and open a pizza place out here on Tybee Island for the upcoming season. If you start now you could be ready for the spring. Oh yeah Im a chef and I live close to Tybee!!! No seriously its an idea and if you need any help with your venture what ever route you go, I can give you a hand. I have been working in restaurants and hotels for over 10 years. My brother and uncle own like 17 sonics. So let me know. And forget what I said about your music and car that time:coolugh: