Ticket question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dontcallitarex, Apr 17, 2008.

1. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

So I was just pulled over for an expired tag. It's apparently less than 10 days expired, too. :squint: Anyway, my car is registered in my Dad's name, and according to the officer you have to have the tags renewed on or before the person's birthday, which was april 7th. I told my dad about this (called him...he was awake) and he was under the impression we had until the end of the month. So he said he'd have the new registration for he and i in the next few days, if not tomorrow.

My question is, I need to drive. If I carry the citation with me can I show it to an officer in the event I get pulled again and have him not cite me? This would be until monday at the latest, I would imagine. Dad said he was planning on taking care of it tomorrow or the next day. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea as long as you keep your cool, you should be fine. I'm sure when you go to court, if you bring your dad and explain what happened and that you got it renewed they will drop your ticket. Either that or impound your car...

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

There is no guarantee that carrying the citation around will get you out of another one while you wait on your dad to renew your tag. It would all be dependent on the officer that pulls you over. As YungDZ said, if you get pulled over, be nice, and explain the situation. Hopefully he will be cool, and not cite you again.

4. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

From my understanding, you can get a new ticket every day that you have the expired tag on. Having the citation with you will only keep you from getting another ticket on the same day.

5. ^^^Correct..... a lot of officers will give warnings for the first 30 days after it expires, but that's not set in stone, it's just the officer's discretion.....

6. dontcallitarex

Thank you guys. Hopefully I can get it from him today. His tags are obviously expired too. I'll just have to remind him in his birthday card or something next year. :dunno

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

what he said ^^^

most officers, such as BLS, will give a warning ;)

Russell, what were you doing to cause him to run your tag? The actual expired day is not on the tag.

8. dontcallitarex

I was driving home through decatur at 2am. I wasn't speeding, I wasn't swerving, I wasn't doing anything suspicious. I think I was just the only car on the road and the officer was bored. It made me kind of mad because, while I know my tags are either expired or not, they were a whopping 9 days into the red when he pulled me over. A warning would have sufficed, I think.

And Matt, call me Russ. :) I only get called Russell by my 75 year old aunt and uncle, and my father when he's really pissed at me. lol

The good news is that it, of course, is not a moving violation and hopefully the fine will be waived or reduced or something since it was even less than 30 days expired when I was cited, and I'll obviously have the valid registration with me in court. So, I guess we'll see.

9. Don't need an excuse to run tags, when I was on the road I ran tags all day long..... never know what you're gonna find :)

The day of expiration isn't on the decal, but the month is..... he probably saw an April 08 decal and ran it just to see.....

10. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

OK Russell...try to not get any more tickets driving around in your rex:wavey:

11. dontcallitarex

Thanks for the answers blueline, yungdz, everybody. My Dad, in his awesomeness, has my tag waiting for me whenever I can get it. Which will be tonight.

Good advice, Brett. However, 2 things I must say:

1.) Don't call it a "Rex"

2.) Eat a dick. :fawk:

12. WJM

WJM Banned

Where's tha rex?

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:rofl:

I think Russell is about to get banned...that's a nice REX. :D

btw RUSS, was it a dekalb county officer?

I know about it, BLS. I've had one or 2 expired tag tickets :(

14. dontcallitarex

15. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

^^^rofl...that cat is about to claw someones face off