Seafoam okay?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I want to make darn sure my engine is clean and that I have no leaks in it before I get tuned shortly. I was told a good way to check for exhaust/boost leaks other than a pressure test is to Seafoam the car. I'm due for new plugs and oil change right now so why not? If you have a leak you will see the smoke at the leak (unless it's only a high boost leak) instead of out the tailpipe.

I've used this before on my DSM and you only use a small portion of the stuff. Anyone see anything bad happening except for fouled plugs and dirty oil which is being changed right after I'm done?

2. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

i use it once a year 100 miles before oil change

personallyt it works

but i wont use it on an old cars because the stuff it removes may clog up your cat if it gets past
    or may stay in chamber in a larger glob.
    i only use about 1/3 can in gas tank and 1/3 can inhaled into the intake TMIC outlet (i have a meth port from previous owner) - that way it gets to clean the flapper on the TB. Let it sit for about 5-10 min and try to time it so its dark when you restart your car because your neighbor may call the fire dept

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have no cats on the car period so that's a non-issue. I also live in bumblefuck SC so the neighbors aren't an issue either :keke:

Yeah you mention the throttlebody plate but don't forget the TGV plates as well!

Does this stuff collect in the intercooler at all?

4. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

just make sure you control the inhalation of seafoam because too much can stall the engine and cause CEL.
    It does evaporate

Just make sure your car is warmed up a bit before you do this.

5. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I love that stuff. Once a year. Heat up the engine, then I use the power steering vacume hose to suck it into the intake. Just a little bit at a time to keep it from stalling. Once it's in I shut it down and let it drain through the engine per the instructions. Then restart idle for a while and then take a nice slow drive around the sub division. Great way to piss off the neigbors! For about twenty minutes your blowing more smoke than a sky writer. I also change the oil afterwards.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Where is the power steering vaccum? On the turbo inlet itself? How about the BPV vac hose?

Oh just tell the neighbor's that it is your once a year mosquito fogger!

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

He probably meant the vaccum line to the brake booster.

8. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yup I stand corrected, which is why you're the one installing my turbo Hah :rofl:!

9. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

be prepared to change the oil within 50 miles of use is the general consensus i read.

10. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

yes you get some in the crankcase which if you arent racing the car its ok to have a tad in there because its recommended to add into the crankcase as well.
    The stuff does evaporate so it will eventually vaporizes

11. dpbgst13

dpbgst13 Member

What is seaFoam? Never heard of it.

12. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

seafoam is the shit. I put it in the gas tank and in the oil.

I'm not about to try to put it directly in the motor.

oh, and it's safe for cats now.

13. caseyfoster

caseyfoster Member

WTF?

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

cats....catalytic converters ;) :)