skydiving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nicad, Apr 25, 2008.

1. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Anyone on here skydive? I've been thinking about going next week @ the farm in rockmart. Been reading and they have the best reviews.

if I like it I may go through the AFF program and get licensed.

I wanted to do the AFF program so I could just by "myself", but I think I've decided on tandem jumping just so I can sit back and let the dude do everything and just enjoy the ride

2. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

Sweet get some pics if you can

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

like I said before dude....why the fuck would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

maybe I just want to leave my mark on the world OK STOP HARASSING ME

also, you're a huge vagina who doesn't want to jump with me

5. bsigari62

bsigari62 Member

i have been wanting to do it for so long! how much is it?

6. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

something i've been wanting to do for a while now. my grandmother told me a few years ago that I should bungie jump instead cause its:dunno safer??

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

$150 for tandem jump, $250 for AFF class (jump by yourself more or less)

I'm going next friday, 5/2 if anyone wants to join me and weather permitting

8. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

I would rather skydive than bungie jump

9. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I have bungee jumped and skydived. Bungee jumping was fun as hell, but I will never skydive again unless the Plane is F*@!ed up. Its not that I didn't like skydiving but I did not equalize the pressure in my ears on the way down, (they didn't tell me too), and I had a splitting head ache for 3 days. No BS. Also the harness was too tight around my legs and as a result once the shoot popped the harness tightened even more and put a severe pain on my legs as we sailed to the ground; as a result I could not enjoy the experience. But the rush and exhilaration is irreplaceable. Thinking more about it, I don't think I am cut out for that sort of thing as a result of sinus problems. I am Dive certified and don't go because I have a tough time equalizing the pressure in my ears and end up w/ headaches and can't enjoy the experience. You should probably be Ok if you don't have sinus problems.

Have fun when you go man! Make sure you equalize the pressure in your ears as you fall!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  10. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I went a few years ago. I think it was that same place in Rockmart. I had an absolute blast. It was terrifying, but really cool.

The plane ride up was the scariest part. It was like being in a diesel cargo van with wings. It was loud as hell where you really couldn't talk to the person next to you and the fumes were awful. They told us that was the last day they were using that plane, which was comforting. The plane ride lasted around 25 minutes.

IIRC, you have to have 5 tandem jumps before you can get cert. to jump solo.

11. bsigari62

bsigari62 Member

dang i really want to do it

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you have to do 7 accelerated free fall classes/jumps before you jump "solo"

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm going skydiving in 2 weeks or so. It will all be videotaped as well.

14. SUBY_RUE

SUBY_RUE Member

I 2nd the whole jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...lol. I'm skeeeerd of hights.

15. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Im a skydiver. I jump at The Farm regularly. I am just shy of 1000 skydives, and this June makes 7 years in the sport.
    The Farm a good place with good instructors and new, top-notch equipment. Fridays are kinda slow up there as most of us work through the week, but there's almost always something happening there.

A few responses to some of the posts I read:

There is no such thing as a perfect airplane. Its a mechanical object, things break. I'll take my chances with me under my own control. Oh, and I've got about 50 hours small aircraft pilot hours too. Even new planes have issues.:)

I refuse to bungee jump. The saftey of that sport is not nearly as controlled as with skydiving. Since skydiving is out of airplanes it falls under the jurisdiction of the FAA, in fact, Part 104 of the AIM (Airmans Instruction Manual) deals with skydiving. The USPA (United States Parachute Assn.) is an organization that works with the FAA to assign rules, regulations, and preferred practices. Plus, when I jump out of an airplane, I have two chances my main parachute and reserve (yes, ive used it) :bowdown:

I too am afraid of heights, but I like to fly. There is just something different about it. Seriously I get nervous when i climb a ladder, when I have a rig on, its ok. I dont know why.

Getting the pressure to equalize in your ears is rarely a problem unless you have a pre-exsisting condition with your sinuses or you have a cold/allergies. I've chanced it before and blow my sinuses out (very painful), but thats what I get for not paying attention to my body. If you cant breathe through your nose, you might not aughtta be skydiving. I've also dealt with fluid in my ears, barotrauma, headaches, etc. Again, know your physical condition and you'll be fine.

You dont HAVE to do a tandem. I've never done one. There are 7 levels to the AFF (Advanced FreeFall) course. You must pass every course to jump "solo". You must then go on to perform other skills which must be signed of by a S&TA (Safety and Training Advisor) or similar Instructor. How long it takes to finish those skills is up to the individual. I finished AFF in two weeks, and had my 'A' license in a month. It took me about 32 jumps to get it all done. An 'A' license is usually minimum for most dropzones if you just walk on as a sport jumper. Some boogies (Skydiving event) require higher licenses.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I'll either respond here or via PM.
    Another good resouce for info is http://www.dropzone.com

16. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

thankz for the info.

17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Looks like a blast!

19. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Nope I wasn't up there, but I know who your Tandem Master was. Clay is a good friend and instructor.
    Glad you had a good time. Careful though, skydiving can eat up all of your extra $$$!

Blue Skies!

20. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

my girlfriends grandma want skydiving on her 70th bday.

21. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

So... thinkin bout takin the plunge in July! DZ or skydive atl.?

22. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

There is a big event at Skydive The Farm the weekend of the 4th. $159 tandems (video/stills are extra and I suggest them)

If anyone has any questions I can help. Peace

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn I wanna go!

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

There is nothing that is more exhilarating and fun than this. I highly recommend anyone that gets the chance to go. Here's a pic from my first jump.

[​IMG]