KingWrex and My Lady

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FACE, Apr 27, 2008.

1. FACE

FACE Active Member

So as many of you know I fell victum to a broken sump tube around 36k.

Here:
    [​IMG]

Coasting off the exit ramp one night to go meet RoMe and Danielle for dinner I notice the oil light come on...and then go out just as King looks over to see...humm. So we pull into the gas station to check the oil and there is plenty. Start the car back up and hear the horrid sound of a knock :wtc:

We limp her over to the dealership as she awaited her fate...
    [​IMG]

Big thanks to Subaru of America for standing behind thier name and having things done right to fix the problem. King had the joy of replacing a long block and turbo into Elanor. I dont thing her enjoyed her company as much as I have but I know he had some fun having his way with her...:naughty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With 600 miles on her new heart Elanor is running better than when I first bought her! She is a bit stronger as well putting 289hp/295tq at the wheels :jerk:

[​IMG]

So for those of you who do not know Steven King does Excellent work and is one of the most respectable guys I know. :bowdown:

Thanks King!!!

[​IMG]

2. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

King is the man :)

glad you got everything bak in better-than-new shape

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

x2

Also, it always amazes me how physically small the STi block is. For such a powerful motor it looks like a lawnmower mill. lol

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

King for President!

5. FACE

FACE Active Member

I'll second that LOL

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

HAIL the KING!

7. WJM

WJM Banned

exact same break as all the others I've seen.

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea, what's fucked up is it happened right when you made that thread about it

9. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yay for King, I'm scared shitless about mine now...
    < has no warranty

10. Is there another piece holding the pickup tube in place? I cannot be sure from the photo..

11. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Hooray King, you da man.

12. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Does this happen to all wrx and sti models? Or just sti model? What causes it? Can we do something to lessen the chances?

And +666 for steven! He got me my new wheels for a good price!

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

STi problem..

14. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

You and me both!

+eventtybillonz for the King! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

15. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

LOL, I have the new Moroso Pans with improved pickups in stock....Only $700.00

16. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

only $700 I would if I had it!

You can give me one and I will rep Batlground for the rest of my life :sx::naughty::p

17. FACE

FACE Active Member

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Hail to the king baby ~ Army of Darkness

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  19. WJM

WJM Banned

The failure has also been noted on all other EJ255/EJ257 models.

The sump tube has a support, but the support is not the issue, its the metal fatigue from the brazing/welding process.

20. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

New tubes from Subaru are like $32 i think

21. WJM

WJM Banned

Well, if I had any 2.5 turbo engine, I would be getting the Moroso. The tube WILL FAIL at some point in time. If its out of warranty, well...thats $10k out of pocket.

I would spend the $700 now instead of $10K later.

Or stick an EJ205 plate/pan/tube on it. They fit and work the same.

22. FACE

FACE Active Member

Since I have a 100k warranty I am just going to have faith

23. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

i was told by subaru the last time i was in school which was only a month ago that once the sump tube issue began they pulled all of the old tubes off the shelf and started from scratch. i was told that the jig that held the flange for welding the tube on was shifted slightly the wrong direction witch put more stress on the tube when welded to the flange. the jig was fixed and the new tubes from subaru should not break anymore. the part numbers for the tubes havnt changed because its still the same part its just revised.

if you dont have the money for the moroso set-up i would recommend getting a new tube from subaru.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Patiently waiting for the new 2008 model turbo 2.5L's to start breaking....

I'm getting the Moroso while my EJ257 is out. Saw it in person at Topspeed and all I can say is that thing isn't gonna break unless you slam that oil pan down onto something rally style!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  25. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Cool...so I should get you to ask Subaru to replace mine under good faith for being a good 04 owner?

26. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

So when was this part revised? Are there any 06s that came with the revised part? Also, if I get the moroso pan, what's the labor to put it in? Thanks steve.

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

28. WJM

WJM Banned

Revised eh? That usually comes with a part number change...

None of my phone calls to SOA about it net'd any real info or results.

29. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

from what i was told it was not revised, its still the same part. the jig it was made on was just in a slightly wrong position. whith that being said its really the same part so no reason to change the part # i guess.

some of the info was given to me at suby school and some was given to me by Ed Luksic. i was talking with ED about swapping for a wrx oil pan,baffle plate and tube to fix the problem because i didnt want to put another tube on and it break also. he got back to me and told me about the jig problem issue and told me that all new tubes from subaru should not break.

30. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Atleast I got a solid oil delivery system in my EJ205:naughty:

31. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

:wavey: seconded!!

Good thread btw.
    That Moroso pan is badass. Matt teased us with it at the Dyno Day.