WANTED: Police Officers, Lawyers, or GA born and raised

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FRCFED4, Apr 29, 2008.

1. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

heres the situation. i put on 8000k HID bulbs in the STi about 1.5 months ago. Never had a problem with any police officer at any time, drive the speed limit, seatbelt, and dont get on it unless im getting on the highway or such.

*i was very polite during this whole thing, yes sir, no sir type of stuff*

Cop pulls up next to me at a light and asks to roll down my window. Asks me what color my lights are and i told him they are not colored, they are measured in degrees. He then asks what color they appear to be and i told him blue-ish. Keep in mind they look almost the same as the BMW's and high dollar cars i see drive around all the time and my car came stock with HID's.

Now for the problem, he told me it's a $1000 fine for having blue lights on the front of the car, which they aren't just blue they are head lights. No one would mistake them for cop lights at all.

so please give your input so i know what to do, i really dont want to waste the money i spent on the bulbs because of some guy having a bad day.

also, after this was done he pulled over an esclade on probably 26'' wheels. :squint::squint:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

it IS after all illegal to have really blusish lights on a car.

8k is WAYoff from what BMW and stuff use(4k)

3. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

the stock ones are 4300 i believe and they were just too bright, i would get flashed all the time so i tried to dim them up

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

WOWa yeah those are really blue.

5. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

yea i guess ur right after looking at them some more, maybe ill throw the other ones in until everyone calms down.

btw. i did check with the MP's on base and they said i would be fine and if i got a ticket i could fight it and have a pretty good chance. the law says something like "cant be covered, or give off a police color of blue"

just got back from there about 2 minutes ago

but i would still like to see if anyone else has ever had problems with this and how they fixed it

6. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

honestly, the 8k lights are just a waste. the stock, and stock degreeish lights put out a much better light, and save on eye fatigue.

PM 10th st jdm...he is the resident retrofit/hid guru

7. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

got ya, thanks wrxin8or

8. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

I had a friend get that ticket around christmas time. He had strung christmas lights on his work van. The bulbs were multicolored, however, like every 5th bulb was blue. These were not your daddy's christmas lights, just the newer small size bulbs.

9. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

ya i understand the blue thing but these arent xmas lights, they are the actual bulb

10. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

I was just commenting on the sometimes comical way in which some tickets are passed out. 8K is about the temp of southern light on a sunny day, as in really blue. I agree that you should switch back to the stockers at least until you contest the ticket. It would suck to come across the same officer and get duplicate tickets.

11. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

i didnt get a ticket he just gave me a verbal warning. pretty sure thats what ill end up doing. this is stupid, i used to like savannah cops.

12. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

They do look obscenely bright and blue to be fair mate.

13. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

i guess that settles it, ill change em back to stock and sell those bulbs on ebay. ha

thanks guys

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

The sun burns 6500k that hasn't changed since man has been on the earth if anyone tells you otherwise they are full of shit. And that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Your hid's look purple if anything! The guy was just looking to give out a ticket

15. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

I better not ever run into that cop. My glass is blue on my truck, plus the bulbs I have in them...

[​IMG]

16. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

you should've left your stock bulbs in and adjusted the headlight toward the ground, problem solved.

17. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, those are pretty blue-ish. Maybe I'm a minority here, but on many occasions I've seen HIDs around that color and actually did think for half a second that it was a cop. Especially if I'm seeing the lights pass by through foliage or a guardrail (something that makes it look like they are flashing).

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

As have i

19. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

6000k is where its at...

20. From the pictures you posted, they look alot bluer than the ones that come on bimmers lol. I would personally get some 4-6k. Blue lights are cool, but they are kinda annoying when they're behind you.

21. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

Source Color temperature
    in kelvin
    Skylight (blue sky) 12,000 - 20,000
    Average summer shade 8000
    Light summer shade 7100
    Typical summer light (sun + sky) 6500
    Daylight fluorescent (caution!) 6300
    Xenon short-arc 6400
    Overcast sky 6000
    Clear mercury lamp 5900
    Sunlight (noon, summer, mid-latitudes) 5400
    Design white fluorescent 5200
    Special fluorescents used for color evaluation 5000
    Daylight photoflood 4800 - 5000
    Sunlight (early morning and late afternoon) 4300
    Brite White Deluxe Mercury lamp 4000
    Sunlight (1 hour after dawn) 3500
    Cool white fluorescent (caution!) 3400
    Photoflood 3400
    Professional tungsten photographic lights 3200
    100-watt tungsten halogen 3000
    Deluxe Warm White fluorescent 2950
    100-watt incandescent 2870
    40-watt incandescent 2500
    High-pressure sodium light 2100
    Sunlight (sunrise or sunset) 2000
    Candle flame 1850 - 1900
    Match flame 1700

22. Deke

Deke Active Member

I don't get it :confused:

23. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

It is not worth the ticket or is it worth trying to fight it in court. Youw ould probably loose since the cops are always right in a court.

24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

it has t odo with wavelength of light thats let through

if your confused as to why share is higher temp.

25. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

ya im changing them back today and ill just pick up some 6000k since those are pretty much just white with a small tint of blue

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

just get the 5k or lower and be done with it.

also do you have projector lenses, or just crap reflector housings? if you put blue HID shit lenses in a reflector housing, kill yourself. I hate being blinded by that shit

27. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:rofl:

the pics look like they are plain jane reflectors without projectors.

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

he had hids before.

29. Matt

HIDs that worked just fine at that. :)

30. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

The 6ks I had in my old teg were purple more than blue

31. Every company has different temps. for their hids.

Some say that a 6k is a light white with blueish beam. Others would say the same but would come up to be "blue." Just like this guys 8k. I have 10k on mine and they don't look as blue as this guys lol. I also have projectors so I don't know if that helped...

32. Matt

10K??

jeebus. that's obnoxious. actually, I think I saw your car one night at BP on Pleasant Hill. I was across the street at Chipotle and saw a Scooby with wickedly bright HIDs

33. lol they're actually not that bright or blue. Well, not as bad as the op's hids.

Here is a picture, its not the best, but should give a decent description of what im talking about.

Also I haven't been to bp with my car in MONTHS lol.

[​IMG]

34. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I just bought a set of JDM projectors (bugeye) to get modded with TL hardware.

my EDM and HID setup will be up for sale shortly. :)

35. Matt

yeah, this was back in October :)

36. My car has been down since oct. :rofl: man its soo good to have it back!

37. FRCFED4

FRCFED4 Member

i took em out and put the other ones back in. no more trouble. ill just wait and pick up some 6k and see how i like those. after i changed back to the stock ones i realized how much of a difference it made.

38. Trey

Trey Active Member

That's your mistake, you should have told him, "...what do you mean sir, they came with the car". ;)

You played right into his hands.