So I am co-driving in this years One-Lap of America...

Discussion in 'General Community' started by WRboXer, May 1, 2008.

1. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I will be co-driving my friends Scion Tc in the Economy class.

His blog... http://www.obike.net/blog/

Anyways, this is just my thread that i will update with mad tyte pics of the event and give continual updates. A new gtr will be there, TT vipers, and all kinds of fun cars. Topspeeds Brighton apparently isnt going to make it, which sucks...but oh well.

Anyways, its 12 hours until we depart, and i have two finals tomorrrow. Huge range of mixed emotions right now hahah. :)

Wish me luck and tune in for updates.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

saw your post on NASIOC....good luck dude, and keep us updated.

I guess you are the only WRXAtlanta entry this year

3. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah i think slowwrx dropped as well.

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

good luck

5. schneid

schneid Member

274 whp in a scion tc, i bet it moves..best of luck

6. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Good Luck and that is one sweet ass car!

7. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

f$cking sweet!!

8. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Good luck man, call the shop if you need any help... tracking down parts etc while you are on the road.

Don't eat fast food, its worth the time to stop for atleast a half way decent meal

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Good luck bro.... And have fun. That is a sweet TC.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Congrats!

11. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

...and we're off. Destination South Bend Indiana, eta 10-12hrs. Purpose:check in and tech inspection tomorrow am. Estimated arrival time 8 am tomorrow.

12. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Have you guys booked all your hotels already?

Matt

13. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yes. :)

14. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Smart man

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

Godspeed my friend!

16. WJM

WJM Banned

Like totally.

17. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

First day: lots of rain for registration, stickering up, and tech inspection. Hart honda team backed out.

18. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

That Hart car was fast last year....till it broke.

Go to walmart and buy a couple of folding cots and take those with you to sleep on while you are at the events....they also serve to keep your stuff off the ground when it is raining.

Matt

19. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Hmm, i may have to do that. Although there wasnt a Walmart up here, its a copy called freakin Meijers...whatever the hell that is.

Anyways, just killed a few irish car bombs and newcastles, and got to sit in the new GTR at the same time. Looking forward to some deep sleep. Killer time, cant waite for the skidpad and road america tomorrrow.

20. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Disconnect your sway bars for the wet skid pad.

Matt

21. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Update

Ben did the wet skid pad. A)he doesnt have skid pad experience b)he doesnt have any wet weather driving experience. We were hoping for the best but we ended up getting last in the wet skid pad

We made up for it at Road America though, i jumped in the driver seat and we ended up with a 1st in class and 45th overall.

Next up was Mid-America...awesome, fun, safe track. Ben was the driver, got 4th in class in the 1st event, spun in the 2nd event but was on track for a 2'nd place finish.

After that we made the long-haul down to Texas for Texas World Speedway. Long ass drive, made it in down by around 3AM, checked into our hotel room and got 4 hours of good sleep before heading to the track(totally worth it i must add).

Texas World Speedway was another track where two events where held. I was the driver Today. It rained ALL day, puddles and rivers on the track...extremely sketchy. I had the wheel yanked out of my handes on several occasions when accidentally cliping the puddles/lakes that had collected around various turns.
    -Anyways, i had 0 rain experience...so i had to wing everything. The first event didnt go well, atleast in my mind. Spun on the damn recon lap. Had a few very close calls with the tail getting happy mid corner. Ended up 4th in class and 41st overall, with the two cars ahead being 1-2secs faster. Lesson learned, no trail braking in wet conditions. Second event went MUCH better, stopped the trail braking, found a comfortable line, and was more smooth with the throttle. The Neon that beat us by 3 secs last session started in front of me. I ended up passing him by the end of the third lap...no results yet, but i am thinking atleast a 2'nd in class and mid 30's overall.

Recap, 140mph on the oval with heavy rains and standing water=fucking sketchy. But learned some very valuable lessons.

22. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Nice good job guys. To finish first....first you must finish

23. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

god....on one lap that is beyond true....

Hope yall keep it rolling. Are you in Econ class, or what?

24. xxtraloud

xxtraloud Member

I read all the posts! that's awesome! are you getting paid much? how did you get hook up into that?

25. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

reading pwns you Brett. :fawk:

26. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ok, so we put down some pretty sick times at Texas World Speedway #2. We were 3rd in class, but 28th overall. Remember it started as a 71 car field, with econo being bottom rung. Slow fwd cars are fast in the wet. We beat sevearl GT3's, a z06, both of the mongoose GTP's(kit car based on a vette chassis with an ls7 mounted mid engine), cts-v's, s4 quatro, 335i, srt 10 viper, new m5's and m3's....the list goes on, all of these wonderful cars oust'ed by the scion lol.:)

Wish our inclass placement was 2'nd, but oh well.

Sooo...we packed up from TWS and head out to No Problem Raceway, a nice tight track located near Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We get there in the AM, its a nice dry day unlike TWS. We go out for the first session, and Ben pits on his final lap and rolls to the parking lot with his flashers on. Clutch isnt fully releasing for some reason, basically wont go into gear or out of gear with the clutch depressed. We try several home remedies and get help from the Honda Odyssey boys, no dice...something internal in the clutch.
    So we call in a few favors, and have a clutch waiting for us 400miles away at home base, Auburn, Al. We get the car on the road by cranking it in 1st gear, and just synchronizing rev's needed for each gear and the speed going to shift...a few hideous grinds but the car is rolling. We get 200 miles for Auburn and need to stop for gas. When we go to turn it over in 1st, it turns over once and ALL electronics go dead. W T F. Tested all the fuses, even had Mr. Brock Yates himself go pick up some new main fuses and deliver them to us since he was heading our way....no dice. Dont have a fuckin clue what happend. We have 12volts at the battery, but not at the main fuse...?

After numerous attempts to breath life into the TC, it didnt want to live. So we had to gracefully bow out of the competition last night and wait till 4AM for a tow rig to show up. I have lots of pics of it all haha.

Thats racing.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  27. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

28. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Thats sucks guys I'm sorry to hear it

As you know by now...thats how One Lap works.

29. Dante

Dante Member

Wow, bummer about your short run, but congrats on doing so well for the short of it! Always next year, right?

How much of One Lap did you complete?

How many cars of the originaly 71 do they expect will finish? 50%?

30. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Well, they are down to 66 cars now. Turbo NSX had issues, challenger wrecked, beetle had turbo issues, crx never even started, and a few others have gone. Davia has had re-occuring issues, but so far has run every event.