Holy TQ shelf on the E92 M3!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, May 2, 2008.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

so what is that...about 260wtq peak?

IIRC JL889's E46 M3 put down around 240 or 250wtq...I expected more out of the 8cylinders...

3. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

That torque curve looks like it came out of a diesel tractor engine. :rofl:

Seriously, thats actually one othe the things we talk about: flat torque curves.
    IDK how it would work out in an auto, but for tractors its a big deal. the fact that theres almost no curve at all makes me wonder...
    What would a bit of tweaking to the timing and fuel maps do... :eek:hnoes:

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well the older ones didn't hold it like that though. Look at the hp it was still climbing at redline and the engine is good for 9K rpms if you can disable the limiter.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah the guys is fixing to do some intake/pulley/header mods. This chart is purely 100% in STOCK form.

6. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Out of an automotive motor, a gas V8 especially, I would have expected a larger amount of tq at lower RPMs.
    I know the Ms are sport/power oriented, but they're still born of luxury. I wonder if some of that isn't related to BMW not wanting the car to have tire burning launches pound potential customers into the seat. Rather a refined constantly growing suggestion to sit back and ejoy the seat?

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very possible but this is an M3 though.....

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

exactly what im saying. we just got one ,and let me tell you. it isnt as fast as i thought it would be.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm not raving about the power....hell my 4 cyl is better than that. I'm raving about how dang flat that tq shelf is....

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah, thats prob the reason why it doenst FEEL fast.

Its something like.2 secs faster to 60 than the e46. and i can vouge for that.. both the cars feel pretty much the same.

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Looks like a K20 dyno except with twice the torque and power. That looks like it would be incredibly fun since you'd have power in any gear. I'm with the guy in that thread who wonders what kinda power that motor would pull at 9K if it revved out that high. I still go 335i over the M3 just for modability and price.

Thats a motor that needs a fat turbo; nice torque off boost so you could throw on a laggy turbo for when you want another 150HP.

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

yes a small turbo kit is liike 15grand. kinda why we keep the m3 as a drive once in and a while and not mod car.

13. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

250hp from a V-8 at $35k+.....hmmmmm, Luxury or not that is lame! If I pay that kind of money my tires better be spinning.

14. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

more like 60k.. sorry I will take the new C63AMG over the m3 any day.

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

its special when you drive an m3 vs an AMG....

ive test drove both and trust me .... you dont go for an amg after the m3.

16. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I agree

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the c63 feels like a c class on steriods.

for all its 400 hp it feels a BUNCH slower than the m3.