Big diff. between AP V.1 and V.2??

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by UpSideDownDesi, May 9, 2008.

1. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

So tell me what is the big difference other than V.2 has some cool displays, and flashes the ECU quicker.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

some more tables in v2 if i remember right.. you can almost measure more stuff with it..

3. UpSideDownDesi

so another words more precise tune? Is it really worth buying it if i am just gonna buy it to get the car tuned, upload Econ Map and Valet map to it, then back in box till i need a new tune. I think AP v.1 should be as good as v.2 tune wise? Vendors...this is where y'all come in lol.

4. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

V2 can measure many more things - including dynamic advance(I think that is what it is called) to measure gas quality. It can also measure quarter mile times and for drive by wire cars it has launch control. As far as maps go, they are the same.

5. UpSideDownDesi

how much will the dynamic advance matter? Plust i don't really care much about the 1/4 mile time and 0-60 stuff.

V.1 still winning.

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

SS has said the v2 more tables were added.

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

There is no benefit for V1 guys... sorry dude...

Siegel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nsvwrx
    Hey, if you remember you tuned me in 2006 ( august)

i have a v1 ap, shall i send you my maps and you can convert them to the new maps?

would this even work for apv1?

would ther be any benefit

8. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

The V2 is much better. It allows all maps to be reflash maps instead of having to run base and real maps. It also has many other features... I would suggest checking Cobb's website for a full feature list.

Siegel

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

If you just want a tune and a reflash, buy my V1 lol.

I upgraded to the V2 more so to change maps on the fly and monitor what's going on. Plus is looks cool.

But if you have the right guages you wont be missing much

10. YOMANDO

YOMANDO Member

Im Using The V2 Now And I Must Say That I Love It. 0-60 Times, Quarter Mile
    Times. Check Engine Light Clearing. Launch Control Mode To Use At The Track.
    And Much More.

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

If all you're going to use your AP for is to get tuned and check CELs, the AP1 works great. If you want all the extra doohickeys then obviously you're going to want to pony up and go for the AP2.

Unless you're running some mind boggling setup, I seriously doubt you'll need the extra tables, as the AP1 has proven itself time and time again. My $.02

PS, I've got some Vagasil for you if you feel like you need launch control (runs and hides :eek:hnoes:)

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  12. xcritic

xcritic Member

Since I wasn't planing on using for more than a couple flashes and nothing else so I bought a v1 cheap.

13. WJM

WJM Banned

Dude, its just better. Get the V2.

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

He's coming from a utec so either a v1 or v2 will be a world better.

15. WJM

WJM Banned

^we all know...;)

16. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Cobb has a trade in deal - trade in a v1 and get $200 off a v2!

17. xcritic

xcritic Member

It all comes down to if you want the features and to pay $500-600 for the v2

18. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Correction.... $500-$700 for a v2.

Either way, with his set up he's gonna have to get tuned. There isn't an ots map for his set up. If there is give me alink because I'll need it soon.

19. UpSideDownDesi

i am not running no crazy setup (it's decent)...yea all the features are cool and would be really nice to have, but i just need one for it's intended purpose......good strong reliable tune. Gonna go with AP1.

20. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Actually, it all comes down to whether you want to pay $500-600 for super easy map switching and the backing of a reputable company.

That being said, if you have a laptop, you can spend $150 on ECUedit to be able to switch maps on your own. Enginuity and ECUflash are free and also offer ECU reflashing. Only downside to this is that anytime you want to switch maps you have to reflash the ECU and any time you do so you risk frying the ECU. Granted the ECU should be able to be reflashed infinitely many times, they do crap out after a couple hundred reflashes. You can just have your tuner email you maps that you can reflash at your own whim, I'm not guaranteeing that any tuner will necessarily provide you with this but its an option. I believe that maps can be considered intellectual property so not all tuners are willing to share their maps to customers. Of course, using freeware and reflashing on your own, you lose any sort of support during an instance of hardware failure.

Google any of the EMs I listed above and check their forums, somebody probably has that setup and might offer up their map. It wont be precise but will give you a starting point if you choose to tune yourself. If you take to any of the tuners on here, chances are that they've tuned something similar before. OTS maps blow, sell the AP and get a custom-map IMO.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  21. Deke

Deke Active Member

I imagine that you'll be more than happy :)

22. The V2 looks too much like a gameboy lol. And I stopped playing with toys along time ago. The V1 looks much better much better imo. :rofl: I hope people catch my sarcasm

23. Seriously though.

Im happy with my V1. Launch control is nice, but who really cares about building boost off the line unless you have an STi. And attend track events every two days. The other "add ons" are cute, but does anyone use them on a daily bases? Like, seriously.

Sunny, I would go with whatever is cheaper. The V2 is just alittle bit more advance than the V1, for what you're looking for you wouldn't be disappointed with the Version 1. But thats just me, some other people might tell you to go with the V2 cause of it's looks, I mean cmon, those are the kind of people that have calvin klein posters all over their rooms.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

dude, chill,

v2 = better diag

more tables, easier to tune.

worth the extra cash

25. Chill? Im not burning up over here.

Im just saying, for what "he" is looking for, the version 1 should be fine. He's not going to sleep 10x better at night if he goes with the version2.

26. Deke

Deke Active Member

Exactly.

27. UpSideDownDesi

how much $$$ will it save me on dyno time? If $250+ then yea it's worth buying if $50 then..i'll still be saving money going V.1...price diff will make it up.

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

it is true, then again i am a cheap ass and i still have my v1 ....=)

29. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Just go with openecu EM for free. Selling your UTEC will pay for the tune. Tactrix cable is $80 and then you can swap maps to your hearts desire.

30. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Or V1 with Street tuner...V2 has not come out with that yet. And I would imagine I will have to buy a V2 at $400 with trade in and then pay another XXX for a new copy of street tuner advanced. V2 is good and all, but if you plan to do any tuning yourself I still think V1 is a better option...sorry for the late response on this, just saw it today while browsing :)