Disturbing Magazine Finds

Discussion in 'General Community' started by seanwrxwagon, May 14, 2008.

1. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

I received my monthly copy of Sport Compact Car (SCC) and promptly read it cover to cover. There were several items that struck me. First mitsubishi is bring a turbo lancer wagon to the United States that is damn sexy looking. Secondly it was implied that Road Atlanta will be soon closed due to noise complaints from the tracks neighbors. Several raceways, including laguna Seca, have had to battle to stay open. Road Atlanta closing before I have lapped it at speed would be devistating to me personally. Comments?

2. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

you best be joking

3. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

From Pg. 69 of the July issue, "Even our most historic racetracks are in jeopardy, with Laguna Seca subject to strict decibel restrictions and Road Atlanta rumored to be on the chopping block." It starts by saying Arizona Motorsports Park was refurbished and reopened only to be "silenced by local residents a few months later."

4. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

The lancer wagon is true as well but I assume you were reacting to the Road Atlanta news.

5. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

If you moved in after the race track was built you can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. You knew damn well what you were getting in for.

6. Galimore

Galimore Member

Did a few quick google searches, all I could find was this blurb on a corvette forum. Hopefully this means the magazine was reporting out of it's own ass :)

7. Oz10

Oz10 Member

can't be true. At least I hope not!

8. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I've heard the rumor too. I really hope it doesn't happen.

9. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

My dad used to auto cross in the paddock/parking area at Road Atlanta about 15 years ago and they could not start until a specified time on Sunday because of the noise. Arizona Motorsports park was closed because of noise. I saw something about the Arizona thing on SPEED, the cheif complainer was a man whom purchased the adjacent property during the renovation and was outraged once the track reopened. It is something we need to keep an eye on for sure.

10. JWX

JWX Member

Its been in trouble for awhile from what I have heard. It wouldn't be the first time, and sadly, won't be the last time a track closes.

11. Guess we need to fire up a petition, if there turns out to be any merit to the rumors..... screw the people that live next to the track, sell your house to me!

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

+1

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

this is RIDICULOUS! You don't like the noise? MOVE! Tracks like Road Atlanta bring soooo much Revenue to Braselton. If anything, they should close Lanier Motor Speedway. I could hear them racing when we were at R.A. on saturday OVER all the goings on that night.

What's that online petition site? :mad:

14. JWX

JWX Member

I can hear both where i live right now. Its awesome. :)

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

Like Matt said there is so much money brought in at RA closing is would be sofa king we Todd did! If they try to close RA I will start a potision to keep it open!!!

16. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

wow, sounds like bs to me!!

17. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

sounds more like some one needed something to complain about. that would be like closing the ren faire because of too many drunks or turner field because they are too loud at ball games, not gonna happen. Last weekend was my first time at road Atlanta and it seems that all the events are during the day time and we were outta there before 10pm so i dont see what people's issues are.

18. longfury

longfury Active Member

I don't see how they could close a facility that brings in countless millions of dollars to the area.

19. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

One word: lawyers.

20. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

it will depend on the law makers in the area honestly.

21. longfury

longfury Active Member

Well, if they want to put countless people out of work up there then more power to them. I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of people would be affected. Hotel closings, track personnel, race teams relocating(Panos and Panos driving experience), anything else that might be related to the track or benefit from it being open. It would just be stupid.

22. DaveH

DaveH Member

Legislators paid by lobbyists paid by Bill France, Inc? Wouldn't that be unusual?

23. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

I'm thinking a huge gathering of blaring loud ass cars show up for the last track day, just to piss them off.

24. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I heard the RA is closing rumor years ago.

It's just a rumor!

25. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Road Atlanta has a half mile buffer of trees and its nothing but commercial land around RA. panoz owns all the land around there including the Hummer track behind RA and there is some thick vegitaion back there, I live 14 miles from road atlanta. I think its all the Rednecks who think nascar is the only race car sport that there should ever be
    NASCAR= Non Athletic Soprt Centered Around Rednecks
    So any car sport that makes nascar look like kids play they have to complain about it.

26. WJM

WJM Banned

Rumor. Every racetrack faces this. Basically they have their lawyer get on board and tell everyone else to fuck off.

Story time:

Place called Charlotte Motor Speedway. Its a good 25 miles (20 by the way the crow flies) from the house where I grew up in. The track itself is in a somewhat built up area, mixed with residential and commercial shopping areas.

On a calm clear day/night....you can hear the NASCAR/Busch/Truck race going.

There's also the Concord Motor Speedway thats much closer, ~12 miles, you can hear it as well.

Both places are in operation every fucking weekend, sometimes more.

27. JWX

JWX Member

Fixed that for you buddy.

It might just be a rumor, but agian, it wouldn't be the first time a track closed from noise complants.

28. WJM

WJM Banned

I will MURDER you in your sleep ass hole!!

its CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY.

29. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

agreed on the CMS part....lowe's FTL

sorry Jake! :p

30. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, Its Charlotte, not Lowe's. Just like Languna Seca is not Mazda Raceway.

I can't stand all of these "sponsored" sporting venues. Give the damn places a name that reflects the places that they are built. Not a corporation that was willing to spend the most money for their name to be on it.

31. WJM

WJM Banned

Exactly.

You get a HUGE Thank you boat while JWX gets a HUGE fail PLANET.

[​IMG]

32. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Just don't google it because this is the link unfortunately:
    Lowe's Motor Speedway Formerly Charlotte Motor Speedway. Tickets, event schedules and information on pit passes. Features Nascar Nextel Cup, Busch series, ARCA and Go-Kart ...
    www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/ - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

Out of respect for WJM I am going With Charlotte Motor Speedway. Same thing happened to Kominsky Park home of the Chicago White Sox they call it US Cellular Park WTF, whatever, always be Kominsky Park to me. The US is officially for sale we are loosing our identity:eek3:

Case and point http://www.econstrat.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=321&Itemid=59
    People better wake up or get ready to start practicing Sharia Law and brush up on their Mandarin Chinese!

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  33. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

When deep space exploration ramps up, it will be the corporations that name everything: the IBM stellar-sphere, the Microsoft galley, the planet Starbucks.

34. WJM

WJM Banned

buying the rights for a planets name is likely going to be expensive...

35. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

Wal-Mars

36. fight club

fight club Member

hehe fight club.

37. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

Fight Club FTW.