ITS ALIVE!!!!Twin Turbo EJ20R install in a USDM LHD 93 impreza!!now running!!

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Impreza_RSK, Jan 15, 2008.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

No way in hell that car stock will run an 11.7 when skylines of that era making way more flywheel HP were running mid 12s stock. I'm not hating, honestly I'm glad somebody else in this area is running a JDM 2.0, I just dont see that happening. I remember alex#2 ran some stupidly fast time in his old RS with 2.5T swap, something like a 12.2 with 330whp.

That rule of thumb of .1 sec for every 100lbs is not a linear scale at all, it might work for getting your car from a 14.1 into the 13s but much beyond that and you just need pure HP to reach higher trap speeds.

I'm trying to remember the quote from the Bugatti veyron top gear episode where they mention that the car needs only 300hp to reach 140mph but needs another 700hp to go 100mph faster.

And you're wrong about HP measurements, nobody has ever rated cars at WHP. Some cars are extremely underrated such as SRT-4s which were rated at 230hp but put down ~210-220whp stock. The old gentleman's agreement in japan was at 276HP but everyone else just rated their cars at that while making much more.

Answer this, if your EJ20R makes 280whp on the stock ECU tune, stock emissions equipment, stock IC, then why does my much more advanced ver8 207 make those same numbers with a custom tune, bigger IC, and catless dp? I've got no doubt that my car would make ~300whp with race gas or higher octane JDM gas but you wont make that power running US 93.

I like your build, its unique, just dont get yourself too confused trying to be a fanboy. Being unique costs money but in the end your car will be one of a kind.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

My motor is not out of a B4 it is out of a BG5C , but the EJ20R was unchanged for 10 years
    I just have to defend my motor because I like it and it has the longest run without change other than the ej18

3. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

the verome needs 300 hp to reach 140 the legacy reached 155.1 with all stock parts at 280 PS and set the record at the bonaville salt flats

4. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

who says im running 93 if I want quality gass just go to the local airport an tell them fillerup
    pure aviation gas buddy 115 octane but I dont want to blow up my engine so I will just stick with the 4 gallons of 108 octane and 8 gallons of 89 its as close to 100 as i can get

and to answer your question GTScoob The EJ20R is Capable of 370HP with mild modification and slightly over 400HP with major modification.

And some good Info on how to make your car go really fast can be found here http://www.thedodgegarage.com/, under my rides click on The Reliant.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  5. GTscoob

I feel the same way being one of the few guys with a 207 on here. Longest run without change isnt a good thing, technology improves power and reliability.

That was an estimate too, stock WRX will reach 144 with 227hp while weighing much more than that Legacy.

You think you're the only one who knows about aviation gas? That stuff is leaded and wont kill your motor but it will destroy your cats, 02 sensors, and likely foul your spark plugs. 2 gals of toluene (114octane) and 8 gals of 93 will do the same thing and probably be cheaper.

Octane Calculator

I'm not trying to start a flame war with you, you just seem to have some misconceptions. Welcome to reality, get the bugs worked out and get a tune on it and have fun. Whats the redline on that motor and do you have any stock dynos from similar setups?

6. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

when it revs up the factory rpm guage pegs out it only reads 8000 but again it pegs out :)so I really dont know thank for the octane calculator

7. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

9. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

no but i looked at it it is the ninja home page???

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yes. ninjas are totally sweet.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

12. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I think he's trying to say that TW1N TURB05=RE41 ULT1M4T3 POW4R!!!!!

Just saying.

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

the purpose of ninjas is to flip out and kill people and since they are mammals they can be mean OR be totally awesome.

Best site ever!

14. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

According to that dyno, the motor puts out 277bhp.

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering, and AC compressor. Thus the prefix "brake" refers to where the power is measured: at the engine's output shaft, as on an engine dynamometer. The actual horsepower delivered to the driving wheels is less. An engine would have to be retested to obtain a rating in another system. The term "brake" refers to the original use of a band brake to measure torque during the test (which is multiplied by the engine RPM and a scaling constant to give horsepower).

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

who the hell keeps luggage in their car at all times? No one but you goes by fully loaded weight. If anything, it's done by curb weight PLUS driver.

16. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Are you calling me fat?

17. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

so according to the Brake Horse Power principle how do you come up with Wheel HP? how do you now how much to subtract based on the drag on the engine and how much the gearbox is going to subtract? is it just a guess? cause I just don't understand if the wheels of a car roll on the drums of the dyno isn't it going to read the HP at the wheels? or is it magically reading it from the crank? now I can see if the engine is not in the vehicle and the dyno is directly connected to the crankshaft, that would be the logical explanation of how to get crank HP but why would you want to spend that time and energy to remove their engine just to get the crank HP? I guess I will have to ask a dyno expert.

18. GTscoob

This thread is getting way off topic but to answer your question:
    When people post whp this is with the wheels of the car sitting on dyno rollers. You start the car up and throw it in third or fourth gear. You do a pull and the computer attached to the dyno does calculations to figure how fast you accellerated the barrels. It then calculates torque and through the HP formula calculates HP. Dynapak dynos are hub dynoes where the wheels are removed and instead of barrels there are boxes that attach to each hub, the process is similar and it still calculates the power.

HP=(torque@rpm)*5250/rpm

Most engine builders have engine dynos where you actually strap a motor onto a dyno separate from the car and run the test. These are great for doing objective tests with heads/cams/manifolds since the motor is outside of a hot engine bay and the intake temp. A lot of crate motor wholesalers use this method so you can see what your motor produces before you buy it.

Engine dyno will read the highest since there is no drivetrain loss, followed by hub dyno since there is no inertial loss through rotating the wheel/tire assembly, then wheel horsepower. Different dyno manufacturers use different calculations, this is why Mustang Dynos read lower than Dynojets. Drivetrain loss is ~20% on AWD cars and is around ~15% on FWD and RWD cars. This is a loose approximation and can in no way be used to compare low-HP cars to high-HP cars.

19. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

thank you GTscoob that info improves the logic of my case on the HP of my engine the cars on the twin turbo legacy website I Emailed the owner of the site and he informed me in the email that he returned said that all the dyno sheets were on wheel dynos.

20. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

The $100 WRX exhaust I bought from SOG was just put on it sounds great ,its has a nice low rumble then the two turbo spool :naughty: but I still got to kill the bug that is making the idle surge up and down, but there are no problems with clearance it has a nice 3/4 of an inch to the steering rod and the exhaust has plenty of room by the brake booster. No body will see that comin from a standard lookin wagon.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  21. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

New video up on youtube finnaly got it running right the pcv valve was not in the intake causing the honda flu. just search youtube for twin turbo impreza it will be part 2. It Will Be at Drift Atlanta!!!!!! Nobody will see it comin it is the ultimate sleeper!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  22. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Damn that is bad asssssssssssssssssssss 8K RPM What a friggin sleeper, nice!

23. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Take'in it up to SOG today they all wanted to see it so I will be takin it up there.

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

post a picture of the car

25. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

There are some Pictures on page two of the journal

26. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Well I took the Twin Turbo Impreza to the Varsity on thursday and xanrules was there and some others sorry if I cant remember your names but especialy the guy who was jumpin up and down yelling and screaming in excitment that I had brought the twin turbo down to the meet I had a heack of a lot of people who dont know the subaru engine line kept asking me "Subaru made a twin turbo?" over and over and over. but I finished getting it running really good the past weekend. There were some crowds gathering around it at first, but it kinda faded after about an hour or so, but at least xanrules and the others that were there know now that it is possible to install a EJ20H or EJ20R in to a LHD USDM subaru.

27. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Xan actually brought me over to the car. It looked pretty unassuming sitting there, but I bet it's a beast. You weren't around, sadly, but it was so cool to finally see it in person!

28. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I will be at Drift Atlanta with the TT Impreza, but aint it a sleeper

29. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I freshened up the front and rear bumpers on the TT impreza I think they look preaty good I did the very bottom body line of both bumpers in a flat black to simulate a lip. I will get some pix up of the bumpers soon.The next part is to get some side skirt or just paint the body line that runs under the doors that follows the same line on the bumers in the same black, and get the body repainted in a bright white, but I want to leave the hood the same blueish grey cause
    it just sets the car off.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  30. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

31. Cory

Cory Member

Ha that was me. LOL

32. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

hey nicad the EJ20R was in the Specialty legacy only and it was Manual transmission only I dont know how many where made but they are said to be rare.

93GCsedan I am sorry about not remembering your name I have a really bad short term memory.

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I know. you can buy another one and make your car twin engine (AND QUAD TURBO) for the low, low price of $1,000

do it man.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ryZ46098QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    It ends it one day! hurry!!!!one111

34. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I dont have the money right now, but if I bought another one I would put it in another impreza or legacy,or posibly an XT, SVX, Brat, or insainly a Justy, but I dont want to put another one in my impreza I dont want to cut it up its fine the way it is 276HP 253ftlbs tourqe thats plenty for me.

35. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

LOL.... congrats on swapping a motor that no one bothers with.

But this thread is just funny.... 11.7's haha

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dude if you do a freaking 11.7 in the 1/4 on a legitimate track in it's STOCK form....I will GIVE you my car.

37. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

hey if a 265HP bugeye can do a 1/4 mile in the low 12's I can do somwhere in that range to about acorrding to the math and when I am at the track im not going to wimp out and let off the accelerator when the light turns green, every WRX and STI that I see at commerce dragway they wimp out and let off the accelerator I dont know if its accedental or what but every one I see up there do it, thats why they run 13's and 14's. It might also be that they are afraid they will get kicked off the track for running under 13 seconds:dunno

38. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I don't remember your name either :rofl:

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  39. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You don't understand. An extra 10 hp does not equal x gain in times. One tenth in the quarter is A LOT especially when you get in the low 12's high 11's territory. The further down the tree you get the harder it is to get that extra tenth.

Also there is no way that you will be holding power up top like the guys with the bigger turbo upgrades. Just because you make peak numbers doesn't mean anything when that poor turbo is running out of breath and falling on it's face. It's all about the power you make and hold across the power band and not the peak numbers.

Those WRX's and STi's are probably not letting off the accelerator when the light turns green....they are probably BOGGING the launch. Launching a turbo Subie perfectly isn't exactly that easy. Shoot it took me around 200+ drag passes to perfect mine and now I'm back at learning again with the 6 speed and DCCD and a front LSD.

41. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yes, I am. :)

42. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Thank you Xanrules nicad's critisizm is really starting to get anoying.

Coolrex from what I have felt in my car with the twin turbo setup it does not boggdown.
    and my reaction time is a .7 seconds. so I should have a darn good start from the light.

Man all this critisizm!!!

43. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I think the major criticism comes from your attitude about this swap is a bit on the "big-headed" side. Yes you have done a rare swap, but so have numerous people on this forum. Gtscoob has created an STI wagon that was only available our model years in Japan and you don't see him glorifying his JDMness.

Its cool to see a twin turbo wrx. But just because its twin turbo doesn't make it Godly. Take it to the dragstrip and produce some numbers that will back up everything you've read on the internet about this swap.

/$.02

44. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

who is making it sound like it is godly all i said was that it is one of a kind because it is the only left hand drive twin turbo impreza so what?

45. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Pushing the twin turbo setup will make around 260 Wheel HP, and thats not in stock form. Thats with the boost turned up, full exhaust, everything thrown at it and even then you better hope the turbo's don't eat themselves.

Only way to make alot of power is to swap it to a single turbo... so at that point the twin turbo uniqueness is lost. The stock twins make a bit more power than a wrx's stock TD05 and thats only by a bit

In theory I guess its cool to say you have a twin turbo motor but in just about every catagory the standard EJ205, EJ207, EJ257 suby motors WILL KILL IT.

The EJ20R just doesn't perform to todays standards. Which is why you don't see every suby owner swapping them, and can find the motors on ebay for around a grand.

At most I see that car running a low 13 quarter mile. I don't car what kind of moon gravity calculations you do it isn't going to run an 11 or even low 12 second pass.

Sorry not trying to hate.... just stating the facts.

Again good job on the swap... it may be rare but not for the reasons your stating.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  46. GTscoob

Pmed. Lets do lunch sometime next week, I want to see this car in person.

47. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

The most important part is to have fun with it, kids.

48. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Exactly, as Xanrules said.

But does the fact that it wont even bark the tires if I do a clutch dump from 6K rpms it just grips the road and takes off. 50/50 front/rear split. I will however get as close to an exact weight figure later today I am going to take it to the scale down the road. We will find out how much it weighs.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  49. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

heh. Heh. He said dump.

50. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

hehehehe dump

but seriously this is a journal I am just reporting what I have accomplished on my Impreza
    and someone comes along and starts telling me from what they have heard that the engine is crap or it dosn't have the hp rating that Subaru released it with
    which I find a little discuraging its not the HP rating that is neat its the fact that it is an all original EJ20R, with both factory turbos with no modification or repositioning of the turbos,in a USDM left hand drive impreza.

Last edited: May 22, 2008