The making of : Midnight Rider

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by midnight_rider, Mar 25, 2007.

1. So with the first mod that Ive done to my car I figure its time to start a journal.

I bought my Subie in November '06...(my trucks driveshaft ripped out of the truck and would take months to fix). It was sitting in a small used car lot and it was the right price and of course I had to get it.

The mods that are were already on the car include a Greddy BOV, Intake ( not sure what brand), 18 " Technomagnesio Sao Paulo wheels (gold) and a muffler which I also dont know the brand

Mods I want to do in the future : Turbo back exhaust, Retro fit headlights, TMIC, bigger turbo, Access Port and a protune...

Some pictures
    [​IMG]
    can't decide to stay gold or paint them black.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Headlight housings painted by 10th Street JDM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

**UPDATE** 5-26-07
    I just bought a new turbo for the car....it should be here in a week or so....Its a Slowboy Racing Gt-11 no pics of it yet but heres the link to the website
    **UPDATE** 6-25-07
    The turbo got here about two weeks ago...I can't wait to put it in. I need a Sti Intercooler...anyone have one for sale?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

Very nice

3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Not bad at tall.

4. looks good man....

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Looks good man! Nice meeting you earlier today. Alex said you had some wagon questions, feel free to PM me if you need help with anything.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

goodto see another bugeye. welcome!

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Not sure how I missed this, but I am excited to see what you're going to throw on next dude!

8. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

Nice wag dood.

9. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i'm diggin it! very clean dude. u gotta make it down to the A sometime this summer...ciao.

10. update LOTS OF PICS

**UPDATE 11-09-07**
    I've decided to do alittle interior modification.... Over the past couple of months I've been doing alittle painting here and there and have all the panels, the headliner, the dash trim, and the interior light housings all painted black. I also made a mesh grill out of the stock piece and put in a bigger top mount which I forgot to take pictures of. I messed up the visors so they are out of the car in the pictures....anyone have any for sale?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the fabric is black is just looks greyish in the picture for some reason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next up is the dash, door panels, carpet, and seats. Anyone have a black interior that they would like to sell? or have any experience in interior work? Id love some help with these items.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I hear 10th Street has some ideas :) They can probably fix your visors too.

Car looks good, nice work!

12. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

cool car man!

13. **Update** 1-28-08

I just put a set of prodrive drop springs on the wagon. check it out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just a shot of the grill I made and I like the picture.

14. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

very nice!!

15. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

haha, I saw your thread, and thought you were referring to the new knight rider movie for some strange reason :)

[​IMG]

interesting color scheme

16. Deke

Deke Active Member

Hmm, I'm liking the grill. How exactly did you do it? I've never liked the stock honeycomb style. I've wanted a black mesh for a while now.

17. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I was expecting the same thing. Oh well.

midnight_rider: If you ever want to sell your wheels, let me know. I wanted to get a set of those when I bought my 02 WRX, but couldn't find anyplace that had the in gold. I ordered them from some international place, but before shipping out, I called the place back to confirm they were the gold, but they weren't so I had them cancel the order, and gave up.

19. They're Technomagnesio Sao Paulo (just in case). Ive actually looked online to see if they were sold in gold and couldn't find anything. They were on the car when I bought it. I guess you could always paint them gold.

20. **update**

So I just got some HIDs in my foglights from Nitro and figured Id take some night pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my attempt at picture editing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here you can really see the color of HIDs
    [​IMG]
    with no flash
    [​IMG]

21. painted the fogs yellow
    [​IMG]

22. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

looking good dawg!!!:ddirty:

23. **update** 06-02-2008

My headliner started to sag so I had to rewrap it so while in the process I went ahead and did the roof rack delete. I got lucky and ran into someone that had the roof molding to replace the ones made for the roof rails. here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Did you lay fabric over your headliner or were you able to pull the fabric and padding off before you laid down the new stuff? I only ask because I am going to be helping a buddy basicly do the same thing to his, painting his panels and relining the head liner.

What kind of paint did you use? since you did the paint how well did it hold up?

25. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

those HID's 3K kelvins? I put 8K's in my headlights they look sweet! I didnt want them to be too blue so I went with 8k's 10K was way too blue for me.

26. the first time I just put the adhesive on the headliner fabric without pulling anything off and put the chosen fabric over it THUS it started to sag. This time I stripped it to the styrofoam (the factory fabric pulls off pretty easily) then wrapped it again and it looked alot better hopefully it will stick otherwise Im going to change the fabric I used. I used black vinyl paint for all the panels and plastic paint for the dash trim.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  27. Awesome, thanks for the input.

28. **update**

Got new wheels and tires so I figured Id post a couple of pictures. I put some 6k HIDs from Nitro in the headlights that you can see too. 18x8 Konig Runaways with BFG G-force 225x40xW18

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

let me know what you think

29. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

The wheels look GREAT. I'm liking the color scheme

30. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

nice! those wheels look sooo much better!

31. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

^^^ +1 The wheels look so much better. Very sexy I was thinking about putting those wheels on my car.

32. haha didnt know you guys hated the gold so much

33. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

welcome to the black on black club

34. UPDATE August 2009

Installed this Aluminum Koyo radiator a couple of weeks ago but decided to update my journal now. Wish I had taken some pictures so I could have done a write up for upgrading the radiator but I did the repair at work.
    Better cooling with a little bit of bling.
    [​IMG]