I think I wanting a scooter/moped

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Superdude, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I think I am wanting a scooter/moped

I have about a 10 miles commute to work everyday. I drive up Dekalb Ind. which turns into like 3 other roads, but it's all one road for the most part. i start in Decatur and end at Marietta St. and Northside Dr. so, since i drive thru GA State and downtown, i never get over 35mph anyway.
    Who here has one and how do you like it? What are good brands, I'm finding a bunch of cheap-o ones online? What advice do you all have besides, I'm going to get killed on the roads of the ATL? Oh, and I understand anything less than 50cc and i can just jump on it and ride without a motorcycle license, is this a true fact?
    Thanks folks!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Please, Be REALLY careful downtown. I know a few students who have had mopeds downtown and have been...well... almost run over.

3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

totally understand! and thanks, that IS my main concern. i'll get a helmet with a huge green mohawk, then. how's that sound?

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

better plan on getting one of those orange vests with reflector material in it to.

We don't want to be -1 Superdude.

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

hahahhaha, yes, yes yes.... you guys are sounding like my wife now :pssh:
    and i agree, -1 Superdude does sound like a bad idea.
    ok, so i should think more toward an Enduro bike, then? that way i can jump on the sidewalk if need be :)

6. FACE

FACE Active Member

To be honest I have thought about this as well due to the gas prices and all.

And as stated before...Be Carefull ;)

7. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

Do not hop on the sidewalk with an enduro bike. Contrary to popular belief, bicycles are supposed to be on the road at all times which means anything with a motor definitely has to stay on the road as well.

and scooters/mopeds are super gay

8. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Go to Twist-and-Scoot off Piedmont. Wayne will get you what you need. They do all financing and repairs in house.

Tell him "some guy from Bavarian Soundwerks sent me"

9. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

umm, the sidewalk comment was a joke... having worked at outback bike for 3 years.
    and yes, i'm confident i'll get shit for it, but i'm a pretty heterosexual kind of guy, i really could give a shit what other people think. :fawk:

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I say go for it.

saving 250 bucks a month is great.

11. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

when i was driving to Marietta everyday, i got great gas milage. i was getting easily over 320 miles a tank. now that i'm ALL in-town i get shit for mpg. maybe 250 a tank. time to re-think how i can keep on track for that early retirement, damn it.
    So, Twist-and-Scoot. anyone know a person that's dealt with ATLscooters?

12. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

like the others be safe ppl will hate cause u can roll up on a sidewalk every once in a while. while they stuck in traffic:) they are fun a friend in my anime club has one and he gets around great hes been ridin b4 the gas hike and got it from somewhere in buckhead. I think its something like a vespa high end thing. My lil brother told me he would beat me up if i brought a scooter instead of a motorcycle lol!

13. SUBY_RUE

SUBY_RUE Member

Lol,The only thing I cant get out of my head is that..... when I see someone riding a vespa...lol It looks like they are sitting on a toilet, and riding down the street :rofl: :ddirty:

14. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

15. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

A Yamaha Zuma is the the BEST scooter you can get. They look pretty cool, very reliable, and there are endless mods you can do. The engine and tranny used on them is shared with several others so there is a ton of stuff made for them. I really regret selling mine, but I needed the money. At first my friends laughed, but every one of them that tried it out came back freaking out over how much fun it is. Of the 6 people that rode it, 4 of them bought one.

16. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Seriously Mike. You have owned more vehicles than I can ever fathom.

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

the goal is to get a small one. 50cc or less and i can just buy and drive, no classes, no tests, nada, nuttin'.
    i did see that listing for the 250 ninja, very tempting. very. IF i did a motorcycle, i'd want something like this:
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/729993038.html

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Go for what Mike said

19. SUBY_RUE

SUBY_RUE Member

This must be vespa's prototype.....:eek3::rofl:

[​IMG]

20. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

21. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Zumas are a blast! Stock the top out at about 35, but with a $69 variator you'll be in the 40s. Not bad for 49cc's getting 70MPG!

I don't even know how many anymore... 30? :wtc: too many...

22. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I like the Honda Rucus. I've been thinking of getting one but have not looked into the pricing or where to find. I saw a wright up about them in Honda Tuning and apparently out west they are all the rage with the tuners. They look tuff for a scooter with a tube style frame: they are the Harley Vrods of scooters. I would def. check em out.

23. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Oh, please don't use Ruckus in the sentence as a V-Rod... :hsnono:

:p

24. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

well... i got shot down. the wifey needs a new SUV. so, on to finding a replacement to the ford escape she drives now. it's at 96,000+ miles. other than having ford place the torque converter at 70,000 it's been a great car. they paid for everything but $300 in labor. keep all you paper work folks. and yes i said it, the ford's been a great car to own. but, it's time to run from a good thing before it turns into a pumpkin or some shit. i think we'll end up getting the Tiguana. but i'm pulling for a used RDX/MDX.
    Thanks for the good info. i think the Zuma is the way i'll go closer to the end of summer.
    any thoughts a smaller SUVs for a chick? and NO Forester or B9-whatever. she thinks subies have too much testosterone for girls :)

25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

RDX, h3, xc90, crv, rx330...

26. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  27. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Dude, does buger still come by there or is he in jail again?

28. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

29. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

omg those things are cool and you can do burnouts on em'

30. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

zumas were cool i didnt know they were still around.

31. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

32. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I haven't seen him in a long while. after he got screwed by APB he kind of hit the bottom. he was a little 5 token for a little bit, but it's been at least 2-3 years since i've seen him. i hope he's doing well. when his front went down, he really was a nice guy.
    the last time i stop in, nate was running the show in the shop area. did you ever get to know stephen? the guy with the best beard EVER! i miss working in that shop. after susan, the old owner, opened the right side up for a bar, we all kind of went our own ways.

33. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Good to see there's some other interest in this. Me and a couple of the guys at work have been throwing around ideas with converting our mountain bikes/road bikes into mopeds. There are some cheapass $80 chinese made 70cc motor kits (motor has no prints/badging on it so cops wont know that its more than 50cc) that bolt right up to most bike frames and come with the required hand clutch and throttle levers. Pedal to start from a stop and then let the clutch out to start the motor, should go up to 35mph and get 150mpg.

Most of the kits cost ~$200, I think if I drive one for a month it'll pay for itself in gas saved.

Going to start off with something similar to this:
    [​IMG]

And once I get the kinks worked out, transfer the motor onto a frame like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  34. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Dude, that is hilarious! that's it, i'm so making a lowrider bicycle.