Another Topspeed tune

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Cool_____, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug retuned the 2004 WRX with the VF39 that got tuned with me last April. Only two changes since that tune....APS 3" hard pipe inlet and SMC meth injection.

Base line pull was 277hp and 253 tq I think. Doug pulled out a little fuel on the pump gas map and ended up with around 288hp and 269 tq I think. Then the fun began......meth tuning!

Jason was worried as he saw the number get stuck on the 290ish hp range. I told him take it easy grasshopper Doug is only playing with boost right now and hasn't touched the timing yet. Doug takes a break to let the car cool and soon he's back at it.......BAM 309 hp and 288 tq. Then BAM 312 hp and so on. The car just wouldn't climb past 290 tq so Doug wasn't happy. He played with timing and boost settings and then I saw that look on his face after the last pull......he had the biggest grin and looked at us and said "Now I'm happy!"

End result....323 hp and 301 tq on a VF39 on that puny 2.0L! Needless to say Jason is one happy guy now and the car feels great! Again Topspeed does it right!

I don't have the dyno sheet so Doug if you see this post it up!

Mods are few and simple.
    2.0L 2004 WRX (BelvinAWD's old car)
    VF39
    Ebay TMIC
    SMC meth injection
    Pink injectors
    Cobb AP v1
    ERZ uppipe and downpipe
    Coolrex's old Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust
    APS 3" hard turbo inlet

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

nice!

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

awesome!

4. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

:ddirty:sweet!

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Makes me really want to go the meth route.... Nice numbers!

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Its a night and day difference! Call Topspeed and let the Siegel or Doug tune it!

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

How much does the kit + meth cost? A little worried about reliability as well... Then getting another protune could will be costly... I see it running at least $1000 alltogether, ouch! I wonder how much would be gained on the STI vs. the WRX.. I'm sitting at 290whp/334tq now....

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I know on a stock VF39 both Scott and Doug have hit 350+ hp and 400+ TQ on pump 93 + meth.

How reliable? With a Topspeed tune....VERY reliable.

Tuning cost will be about 1.5 - 2 hrs so $350ish with the dyno fee for tuning. You can get used SMC meth kits for $250-300. If you have Subie Bucks you can get the SMC kit brand new for $350. That's a good bang for the buck upgrade.

Scott Sanders old STi tuned by Scott.
    Mods....This is with Intake, TXS TMIC, TBE, Ecutek, SMC Meth, tuned fairly conservatively for summer heat road-racing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Sounds good... is that 100% meth or 50/50? How does it kick in? Does he have it set to kick in at a certain boost level or what? Don't think I'd be comfortable with the install so I'd have to get it done professionally.. Not trying to be lazy, but can you link me to the SMC kit your referring to? Sorry for the nube questions as well... guess I could just bug SS...

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

100% meth and get the trunk kit. THe underhood kit is BAD and will boil. Install is SUPER easy. It uses your fuse box and tees into your boost line (line that the boost gauge uses).

No point bugging SS right now....he's off camping in some wild fires in Cali right now (Doug and Trey will get a kick out of this comment) :rofl:.

www.smcenterprises.com

You can get the kit from SOG with Subie bucks!

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Still curious as to how it comes on... certain boost levels? Thanks for the info!

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

There are two switches on the controller. One is where the pump starts to spray. The second is when it goes full blast/full pressure spray. So say it's set at 12/18. At 12 psi it starts to spray and then at 18 psi it's at full power. Sorta like a priming system before the full effect for a smoother transistion.

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Sounds good... So, driving conservately, it wouldn't ever hardly come on right? I'd only want it to kick on when I'm getting on it... How often does each tank last?

14. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Wow I have almost the same setup...hmmmmmmm meth?!?!?!! Nice #'s!

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You don't even have to drive conservatively. With my normal driving which is WOT maybe 2-3 times a day and not worried about the boost in town (meaning I don't drive grandma.....I pull out fast if needed), my 1 gallon tank will last me 7-10 gas tanks.

16. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

I'm glad you are happy with your tune. I'm sorry I couldn't stay any later to see the end result. Good seeing you again!

Take care

Tray M

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just to clarify guys this isn't my car....it's my buddy Jason. I just went along for the ride...well I drove there and back home haha.

18. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

:wtc: I miss my old STI! That was a great setup!

Get numbers bye the way for your friend's setup!

Good job Doug!