iPhone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, Jul 15, 2008.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I updated the software on my 4gb 2.5G iPhone, and I have to say that it made the iPhone that much better.

I now have access to my exchange server, so I get my corporate email and my boss can stop bugging me about carrying around my blackberry.

I also downloaded some of the new applications for the iPhone. I downloaded only the free stuff from iTunes, but I got a Guitar Hero like game that could be pretty fun once they start adding in more songs, a maze game that you twist the entire phone to turn around corners, and AOL Radio or streaming radio. There are many other applications and games that I will be trying in the near future, but time was limited last night.

So far, the only negative I can give it is that I still can't use my own created ringtones for the SMS message tone, but I couldn't do that on the original software either, so it is not a loss, just a capability that they still have not allowed. Hopefully, some future software release will enable that functionality, but I can live without it, though it is hard.

I think that damn near everyone I know that has an iPhone uses the Electronic tone for SMS, so it is like back in the old days when you would hear the Nokia Tune, and not know whether it was your phone, or the 20 other people standing near you, but again, it is a minor inconvenience.

For those with the iPhone, I highly recommend updating to the newest software, however, I don't know if it has any kind of negative effect on a jailbroken iPhone, so if yours is not on AT&T, do some research first.

That is all

2. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

glad that is working out for ya! I've been debating on getting the new one...but the fact you can't copy and paste, send pics via text and record video...just seems odd...coming from a palm where it does all that no problem....but that GPS is looking pretty sweet! anyone else have a 3G iphone?

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the gps is STILL cellphone tower triangulation.

4. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

kind of. it uses all the available connection it can get and works the math from there. meaning, it uses wi-fi, blu-tooth and cell (when available) to get your exact location. no satellites, however. so it's a little faster, or a good bit faster depending on the reviewer.

and yes, EVERYONE is complaining about the lack of copy/pasting.
    http://tinyurl.com/5sydel

this is an interesting event that took place this friday. apple wants to be a big dog, no one can deny that. they have a stellar rep for holding off their products until they are certain it will work flawlessly. they had their unp-teen iTunes servers crash, "blocking" people's phones that were simply updating their "old" iPhones. i've NEVER work on a PC, i've worked on an apple since the 80's. i'll never buy a PC for myself. i think apple had a huge slap in the face this weekend. if you go large you can crash hard. and they did. but you know what? they still pulled it off. they, IMHO, hit it huge this weekend. they've made it to big dog status, they'll f-up again soon but it doesn't seem to knock them down.

now, think about toyota. they made it to the top this last year. what happened? they had more recalls then ever. is their trend in here? is apple or toyota going to go the way of Vista? let's hope these companies we think so highly of learn; it's a simple concept.

kudos to apple for pulling off a complete debacle. i was scared on friday night, though i'd see all the shitty reviews flying off the internet this monday. nope, just 10 million apps sold and 1 million phones. and everyone seems to love it.

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

One article I read called it A-GPS. It still uses the cell signal but its much more accurate than the way the first gen phones located you.

6. Eco Auto Clean

on the first release iphone yes, but the new iPhone uses the combination of all 3

"Find your location, get directions, and see traffic — all from your phone. Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location technology with the Multi-Touch interface to create the best mobile map application ever"

3G and GPS are two of the biggest selling points for The new 3G iPhone...still not waiting in line for one..thats for damn sure...haha

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

picking mine up today. :)

8. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I thought they were sold out for a bit ?

9. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I agree with Jason. I upgraded my firmware Sunday morning and finally this phone has some much needed progress. A few of the apps that have popped up give you an idea why the phone has been locked down prior to the new agreement between att and apple; VOIP. There is 1 app I found through iTunes on Sunday night that provided VOIP over wifi for "international calling". How long before we see these VOIP apps for all the common VOIP providers. As far as jailbreak is concerned all past updates erased the hacks and you had to reload. This upgrade was different in that it backs up all your phone data, upgrades, then restores the data to the phone. I don't see a need to upgrade to the 3g phone. I was trying to create ringtones and found recently that the clip needs to be less than 40sec, 35sec seems to be the size that works.

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

reading now

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If you want to create ringtones, you can use this software free. It also has some functionality that can be unlocked by donating, but I haven't found the need to do that yet.

http://www.iringer.net/

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

14. J_P

This appears to only be a Windows program. You just need a program that will allow you to alter audio clips. You convert an audio file in iTunes to AAC , make it shorter than 35sec, change file type to .m4r and load it up!
    Jason I thought you were about to make it easy for me :)

free program I've been using to edit audio files on Mac:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    also need mp3 plugin:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

you need to start with mp3 or an aiff file.
    you can convert from aac or whatever format to mp3 or aiff in iTunes,
    drag to the desktop,
    open and edit in audacity, no longer than 35 secs,
    export to desktop,
    import into iTunes,
    convert to AAC encoded,
    drag to desktop,
    change file extension to .m4r from .m4a,
    double-click and it opens up as a ringtone in iTunes.

15. Eco Auto Clean

16. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

after reading that I'm having second thoughts about the 3G iphone. I am using a Nokia n95 and the main reasons to switch over is the supposdly better "GPS" navigation system but it is somewhat of a disappointment. Maybe I should just man up and buy those Nokia maps after all...and N95 actually connects to several GPS satellites and works very similar to a standalone GPS system.

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

i bought a 3G iPhone on saturday and love it.

18. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

wow... still no video? i'm waiting until it at least has that and true gps functionality. maybe a year or two?

19. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

he pre-ordered....like a sheep!

baaaaaaaaaaa!

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

depends where you went. I don't think a couple of the apple stores ever sold out. that means they had thousands. cuz i went yesterday to two of them looking at protective cases and there were still lines of at LEAST 100 people waiting on them. when i went to buy mine saturday at the At&T store on Barrett they were sold out of the 16gb and when i got mine they had 4 of the 8gb left.

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I can't buy from an apple store due to my corporate discount, so it was ATT for me

22. Trey

Trey Active Member

Most of the cool stuff available on 2.0 was already available on a jailbroken iPhone. Someone told me today that 2.0 works with Jailbreak but I'm sitting on 1.1.4 for a lil while longer. I like my T-Mobile iPhone just fine. :D

The biggest app not there is VoIP/ SIP like dood said. I want it for corporate phone systems vs some vonage/ skype garbage. That would make the iPhone a must have corporate device IMO.

23. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

But you never quoted your source. I at least provided links, so boo to you:ddirty:

24. Eco Auto Clean

wheres the trust???? lol

oh and so i'm not thread jacking....First 3G iPhone 3G Battery results found on CNET.COM =)

Link Is Here!

25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Im waiting till my manager discount comes in from ATT =)

26. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

how much is that, maybe you can get more than 1 :sx:

27. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

its 20%

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

And usually normal corporate discounts dont work for stuff like the I phone...

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it does on the new one.

edit: tested gps, works like a champ.

30. Eco Auto Clean

anyone work at the headquarters off 400? Just curious..

31. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I work in the office just down the street.

32. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Do you work for AT&T?

From what I have seen, I can get a 20% discount on the iPhone, however, that is 20% from the full retail price of the device which is around $400.

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

there's ways you can screw with the upgrade eligibility. I wasn't eligible for a while, but I cheated em and got it early. :)

34. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Well this is a manager only discount.. from my father, both my brother and father are pretty high up in ATT, so they get these discounts... along with 50% off service..

35. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I can't find one anywhere, AT&T, or any Apple Stores, anyone know where to find one?

36. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

hrm well, wrxatl is broken for iphone. won't let me login really. login goes through and then it acts like I'm not logged in. <shrug>

also I can't make a new thread in the SITE BUGS AND PROBLEMS SUBFORUM. owned.

37. J_P

That's weird I've never had any problems with wrxatl on the iphone except I can't reply to PMs I have to start a new one. That might just be the mobile format though. Do you have cookies enabled?

38. J_P

Lindbergh City Center here. Lost my wireless concession when I first purchased the 1st gen iphone.

39. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah. every other form site works fine, meebo, gmail, gtalk, etc

40. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Also, for anyone who has ATT and has a corporate discount (FAN)
    go here:
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/AT&T/Feature_Codes

pick a code for this region (ones listed as CARE), call up customer service at 611, and tell them
    "hi, my IT department gave me these discount codes for my acct, the codes are XXXXX"

if it doesnt work, call back and get a different person. a good one is TMS4 - 1500 texts for $8.99.

41. Jake

Jake Active Member

that actually sounds like a bad deal compared to what the in store workers get. they don't get discounts on products (apple usually doesn't discount ANYTHING to ANYONE other than THEIR employees anyways) but my understanding is all they have to pay is the tax on their service. so say their monthly plan is 100 bucks, they only pay 7 dollars.

i could be wrong, but this is what a friend of mine whose b/f works at the store off barrett said.

42. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

that actually is wrong, they get anywhere from 20-30% off ...

43. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

and apple discounts to ATT managers. They actually made a big deal out of it... whole email thread, il post it up later but we have to wait around amonth will we can get discounts. And we get them at any att or apple store..

44. Jake

Jake Active Member

that's just what i was told by her. she could very well be misinformed. yeah i seem to remember apple doing something similar when i worked at best buy. our discounts NEVER applied to apple products EXCEPT every once in a while they would do like a one or two day "sale" where we could get all the recently released merch at a huge discount.

45. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah, anyone working in a store gets 30%, just called and found out...

46. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I picked up my 16gig Black 3g iPhone from the apple store at Lenox. North point was just about sold out. We got to Lenox and they threatened to close the doors at 6, but they said they had plenty of inventory and were not worried. Check the apple website for updates of inventory after 9pm. I had the old iphone and gave it to my wife. I wouldn't have upgraded if she didn't want mine so bad. She just upgraded in Jan. so she didn't qualify for the discount. Anyway, the phone is good, and the GPS works better than I thought. I wish it would output to video screen though so I could use it in my car. It's better than the factory nav. 3G is a bit faster if you use the internet.

47. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nicad, I think your log in problem is a safari related issue because it does the same thing when I log into wrxatl on my macbook pro and then I go through Firefox and it works like a champ.

48. J_P

I'm posting this through safari on my 1st gen iPhone. It sounds like a settings issue.
    When I login I do it on the main page (wrxatlanta.com) just under my avatar and I check "remember me". I also use firefox on my mac so I don't know how this website reacts there
    I hope this helps. If not I'd be happy to compare safari settings.

49. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I checked remember me and everything. acts like I don't log in <shrug>

50. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

if anyone has a hook up on these new iPhones for more than your own unit, please share, thanks :)

also can number be tranferred from T-mobile to AT&T

[​IMG]