HDTV Dilemma.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Thats going to depend entirely upon how good the downsampler is in that tv. Remember, like Trey said, your TV will only go 768 tall, which is fine for 720p.

But anything sent to the tv thats 1080 tall has to be resampled down to 720 tall before your TV can display it.

There's no really good way to measure this, however, except to send the TV both signals and see how it looks. a PS3 or an XBOX 360 is the best way because both of these machines can self-modify their output resolutions of the exact same images, and you can compare that way.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I can use my PS3, but don't see how I would switch back and forth... the switching I was talking about was for cable... My PS3 is hooked up thru HDMI and Dig. optical as well, but I don't know how to switch for it.. most probably thru the PS3 setup on the menu page when you boot up.. I'll have to experiment. I believe I have it on 1080(don't remember I or P).. and blu-ray and PS3 look excellent, better than HD cable. IDK...

3. Mad Mallard

oh, uh, well if you mean the cable, then I'm not sure i understand. The HDMI and the Red-green-blue connections will carry any current HD resolutions. the PS3 has a setting in the crossbar that sets rez.

or,do you mean you have too many devices and you have to switch between them on your tv?

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Now I'm confused...lol.. All I have hooked up is the HD receiver and my PS3. I can change between 1080i & 720p thru the cable box menu, and I just checked my PS3 and its set to 1080p. I could change it if thats what you meant about experimenting with the PS3 to see what looks best. As it sits now, both my gf and I thought HD cable looked better in 1080 than 720p..but it could be in our heads.. The PS3 is set to 1080p(which is upscaling or whatever you call it cuz the tv is 720p. But I can say that both games and blu-ray look awesome the way its set now... I'm wondering more about the cable setting.. if it comes down to the tv chipset, its a lower end tv... so I'm guessing the downsampler(whatever that is..lol) is not that great... like I said, confused :)

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Interesting, its set on 1080p but your tv cant take 1080p? i know my screen goes blank when i set my xbox to 1080p...

6. Mad Mallard

hmm, it may be treating it as interlaced...

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah i think PS3 is figuring out that, hey this isnt working let me step it down.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Most of the display settings are on "Auto" and I remember seeing a whole lot of 1080 something(could be 'I' I suppose)... PS3 is smart like that, it kinda adapts on its own. I'll do some more digging on it, there were just so many settings and I didn't feel like messing with it...

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

42" plasmas are kind of weird due to their size. 720p will look better on it because it is closer to its native resolution. I really wish they would move to the actual pixel count (like computer monitors) rather than this 720/1080p/i garbage

10. Mad Mallard

so long as we are still tied to physical film roots, combined with the AC power rates, things will be expressed more primarily in amplitudes/framerates than actual rez.

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

Huh? Most computer monitors are 4:3. My wide screen laptop is 1440x900 and has 1280x720 as an option. If I plug it into my LCD at work it will show 1366x768. If I plug it into my Sony at home I get 1920x1080.

These are all normal wide screen computer resolutions, but we are talking about TVs. ;)

Sonic, one reason your TV was cheaper is becasue it's only 1024x768 pixels and the others are 1920x1080 pixels = more real estate = more money.

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

not sure what you're getting at here. yes monitors are 4:3, but I would still rather see TV sets advertised with their native resolutions. it's largely a marketing thing at this point

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

More lines = more clarity? Like I said, I'm new to HD and I think it looks phenomenal... My eyes probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I compare it to knowledge of wine... Might as well give me the $10 bottle and save that $200 bottle for someone else :) I can't tell the difference. Like I said, now that the snags are taken care of.. my $699 special is hitting the spot!

14. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Thats awesome dude. Enjoy the tv. Now you need either a PS3 or Xbox 360.

I am getting ready to connect my computer to the TV. I got the adapter I need, now I just need an extra set of hands to get my TV off the wall mount so I can plug it in and that I am good to go. Still need to figure out a solution to the Audio when using my TV as the monitor for my computer. My motherboard/sound card has a digital coax out, but my receiver only has 1 digital coax in, and I am using that for either my DVD player or my Cable Box. I have 2 optical inputs, but they are being used for the cable box/dvd player and the playstation 3.

I am sure that my motherboard/sound card also has regular RCAs, but do I really want to use them? No. I was hoping to start getting HD format, and it would suck to have that beautiful picture with shitty sound.

Any suggestions or is it just time for me to buy a new receiver?

15. Trey

Trey Active Member

Every TV sold has their native resolution disclosed in their Technical specifications either on the manufacturers website or the stores website, they have to, and there are only two HDTV resolutions in the US, 1280x720p and 1920x1080i/p. Every HDTV sold in the US supports those two.

I've been shopping for a new LCD for my bedroom and have been looking at the native resolutions along with other technical specifications that make one TV better than the other....all from the comfort of my home PC.

16. Trey

Trey Active Member

This is over kill but will work,
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10112&cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sure, but they aren't marketed as such. and broadcast signal resolution does not always equal the panel's native resolution, hence the need for integrated scalers
    you'll also get native resolutions of 1366x768, 1280x720, 1024x768, etc. some 42" displays are 1366x768 which is what I was referring to in my earlier posts.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I got the PS3 first... it started this unstoppable chain of electronic purchases... PS3 led to Plasma led to Onkyo 7.1 surround led to HD Cable which is really making my crappy tube tv in the room look like shit. So, inevitably I'll need a flat panel for my room, which leeds to HD cable for the room... Damn it! I just wanted a PS3! :) As far as your LCD to PC dilemma, hopefully these other guys can help you out.. A/V retard remember! It does sound cool though, I'm sure I'll attempt it one day.. let me know when you figure it out!

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

20. Trey

Trey Active Member

I hear ya, we are on the same page. Looks like going forward most new TVs will be one or the other broadcast resolutions.