Night-time Auto-x at AMS, 8-9-08

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Scotty B, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

anyone attending this? i missed the last night-time auto-x due to a schedule conflict and i was really bummed, so i'm signed up for this one. looks like registration is open until friday.

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

possible, have a site that gives more information? I've yet to track my car and would like the chance to get out and do it, but I don't know what I need to sign up / participate.

3. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

thinking about it

4. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

www.soloatlanta.com

just come out

we have a novice class where we show you the ropes as well

5. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

It's not on the track... it's in the parking lot. But it's a good idea to know how to recover your car sliding at 50MPH before you do get on a track and try it at 100.

6. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Member

Yeah, usually doesn't work out so well.:pssh:

7. 07Ltd#767

**NOVICES**

We have found that night events are not well suited for our Novice Orientation Program. As a result, we are opting to suspend the program until Day event resume, August 31. Novice drivers who have run an event before or who will have the assistance of a current Atlanta Region member are encouraged to enter the event and run with their normal class. If you would rather have a more formal introduction to autocross we hope to see you on the 31st.

Thank you,

Tim Smith
    Novice Chief

So should I still come out? Btw, I have absolutely no track experience, except for the 2 years I did the Mazda speed event at Turner...however, I'm not even sure that qualifies

Also, I checked all over that site for a price, but couldn't find one. I don't want to register to find out I just signed away $600 for something I've never done before

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  8. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

^registration is only $40 if I remember right. Just come out and have fun, the worst that can happen is you spin out and hit a few cones.

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

it's only $40, but it doesn't seem like they're wanting first timers to register. Now that I think about it that makes sense... It's much more confusing and complicated to race in the dark. I have a hard time finding the next gate myself. But you can definitely come and hang out for free.

10. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I'll be there, hopefully this time I will get to run my V710s. The night events are a blast. I suggest coming out, and if anyone wants they are free to get a ride with me.

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

will see you guys out there!

As for the Novice program, it will return at the next event after this weekend's night event. It works better for regular events, vs night events.

12. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Unfortunately the night events are a lot of work for Team Solo in a short period of time. The lights themselves are a huge PITA to move and requires about 3 or 4 to position them. So we decided to give it a break for this event especially since we are getting close to nationals as well. Please feel free to come out to points 9 at the event of the month for our novice orientation.

ALSO REGISTRATION IS CLOSED ON THURSDAY AT 8PM NOT FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Also please make sure that you are directing your questions to soloatlanta (at) gmail.com or www.soloatlanta.com/forum/. Patrick, Brian and I may not be around to give you the answers on this forum that frequently.

14. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

I will definitely be there. AMS has a nice huge lot, and the courses there are usually quite fast (fun).

The only advantage of going as a "novice" is you get to have a guided course walk and and instructor assigned to you for your runs. The novice program is great, but since you posted up here, we'll be looking out for you and give you all the help you need.

See you there!

15. 07Ltd#767

So, I'm still confused...I'm most likely going to show up, rather I decide (or am allowed) to run or not. I'm getting the vibe they don't want first timers at this event, and I don't want to ruin other peoples fun due to my ignorance. I will probably just show up and hit up all of you guys offering to give free rides, I figure I'll learn more from that, anyway :D

16. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

cool! IIRC you and i paddocked next to each other at the '07 subaru challenge. glad to see you're out to tear it up again!

you're more than welcome to a ride...look for the silver 05 RS

17. SubiNoobi

First timers are always welcome! They aren't doing the novice program because of other considerations. Just so you know, Atlanta Region is a BIG scca region and they have many more people/cars/classes to accommodate than you might think and its a lot of work (all volunteer work no less).

In other regions they don't even do a novice program, you just show up and say, "hey its my first time." You get someone experienced to walk the course with you and maybe ride with you. Like I said before, we can help you first timers out without you registering specifically as a novice. I did this with my GF down in Valdosta two weeks ago. Two weeks before that she didn't even drive a manual.

If you are going to be there anyway, just register in stock class (STi=A stock I think) and have fun, we'll be there to help you out. You'll be glad you did.

18. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

^+1 for that, it could be a little intimidating, but just look for someone in a Subie to ask questions, we would be happy to help you out, and for that I have only met one person who was a dick at an Autocross, but for the most part everyone is great.

19. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

so there are no lighting of any sort on the course for this time?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  20. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

The first time I read that I thought this too, but I think what she was saying is that there isn't a novice school this time.

No lights wouldn't work well at all...

21. 07Ltd#767

done...I'm signing up. Even if I don't get to run or get booted for sucking, for $40, I'll still get to hop in the car with some of you guys.

What time is everyone planning on meeting there? Any particular spot in general?

22. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you paid the $40 you will get to run; to come out and watch or ride with someone it is free. I usually get there about 2:30, but you should be fine getting there around 3:00 to 3:30. It's pretty straight forward as to where every one meets.

23. 07Ltd#767

Um...so what's my class? There are about a thousand

AM, AML, AS, ASL, ASP, ASPL, BM, BML, BP, BPL, BS, BSL, BSP, BSPL, CM, CML, CP, CPL, CS, CSL, CSP, DM, DML, DP, DPL, DS, DSL, DSP, DSPL, EM, EML, EP, EPL, ES, ESL, ESP, ESPL, F125, F125L, FJA, FJB, FM, FML, FP, FPL, FS, FSL, FSP, FSPL, GP, GPL, GS, GSL, HS, HSL, SM, SM2, SM2L, SML, SS, SSL, STS, STS2, STS2L, STSL, STU, STUL, STX, STXL, XP, XPL

Also, is there anything else I should bring, other than myself and my car?

24. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Guys again any questions regarding the event really really really should be directed at WWW.SOLOATLANTA.COM/FORUM/...

As for novices is not suggested for this event as we will have no orientation and there will no guarentee that any novice signed up in a class will run in the heats with day light. There will be no formal novice orientation for course working either. Unfortunately this is not the type of event for person to come out to their first autox. I would highly suggest you wait until our Points 9 event later in the month.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  25. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Taken from SolaAtlanta.com
    **NOVICES**

We have found that night events are not well suited for our Novice Orientation Program. As a result, we are opting to suspend the program until Day event resume, August 31. Novice drivers who have run an event before or who will have the assistance of a current Atlanta Region member are encouraged to enter the event and run with their normal class. If you would rather have a more formal introduction to autocross we hope to see you on the 31st.

Thank you,

Tim Smith
    Novice Chief

You would be A Stock, I would suggest bringing a chair, and a cooler with bottled water. Also if you have it a tire pump or air tank, and a helmet.

26. Meredith

Meredith Banned

That's more if you have autox before and are still new, as the event chair and operations steward of the event, I do not recommend for a true novice to come to this event. I am very wary of somebody who has never autoxed before running or working course in the dark. Last year we did not allow any novices at night events.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  27. 07Ltd#767

woa woa, didn't mean to stir the fire. I'll just spectate this one, and let the next one fall in to place as it may. I'll try and get there around 4 o'clock or so and look for the crowd of subies.

28. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Member

Yeah, I can understand where Mere is coming from. Working as corner captain with a bunch of novices is very stressful, worrying about cone calls and having to make sure the novices don't get themselves run over. I can imagine the stress only doubles at night. The night events, albeit cool, are not really geared toward novices. Heck, this is my 4th season, and I did my first night event at the last one, and I had a hard time finding the track.

29. a1rocketpilot

a1rocketpilot New Member

I'll be there, albeit I'm cheating on my Legacy for this one.

30. penelope

penelope Member

I wish I could have made it down for this one. I was at the last one, but I brought my Camaro while my WRX was being run by my codriver at a DC event. I love running in the dark! It's just... different. :)

31. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

had a great time, i wish i could have been able to run at night but working at night is almost as good (weather was perfect).

it was great talking with and meeting people and the course was very fun. thanks Interstate for making burgers and thanks Atlanta Region for putting on an awesome event. i won't be missing night races like this again if i can help it.

32. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Well I had an interesting night.

I broke second gear on my buddy's Turbo Miata. I had no way to get me and the car home.

So my friend John Swain let me drive his supercharged Miata home with the broken car on his trailer.

It worked out pretty well since John and Jerry (the broken car's owner) live near eeach other. We did have to switch out wheels and tires so I could drive the running miata on the street.

33. penelope

penelope Member

Isn't that usually a Subie problem? ;)

Serious, that is a sick feeling. I'm glad John was able to help you out. I remember how so many people pitched together to help me get my broken Camaro down to the dealer where Steve Waters works. It's a great group of people, to be sure.

34. 07Ltd#767

Yeah,

Even though I didn't drive, I had a blast. Thanks go out Joey (Captain Slow), Mike (mmmmtasty), Robert (axeljohnson) and Ming (blindfold). You guys were awesome, thanks for letting me ride. It was especially great riding in the back seat of the forester for a lap:D

I'll be signing up for the event at the end of August, hope all of you guys can make it, I could use the advice :bowdown:

Great meeting you guys, hopefully we can do this again soon

35. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

The weather was perfect and I was having a blast until my car died on the 3rd run. I was going through the back section when my car just lost all power and died on me. Team Solo did a great job of pushing my car about a 1/4 mile off the course. After about an hour of worrying and trying to find a tow truck, a member of Team Solo noticed my tube was disconnected from my intake box, I hooked it back up and she cranked right up, drove home with no problems.

36. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

anyone know when results might be up? just curious (trying to be patient :sx:)

37. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

38. SubiNoobi

SoloAtlanta.com gets results up very quickly, usually within 1-2 days after the event, sometimes even the same night. The results from the dixie region event I attended weren't up until 3 weeks later.

39. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

thanks guys. i was looking in the wrong spots (soloatlanta main page, dlbracing) so now i know for next time!

and as they say, knowing is half the battle....

40. 07Ltd#767

anyone know when registration for next weekend's event opens?

41. Meredith

Meredith Banned

should be open sometime today.... no later than tommorow.