Student Loan Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 5spdfrk, Aug 7, 2008.

1. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Well, I've got two semesters left of school, and it appears that I'll be having to pay out of pocket. I've received an unsubsidized loan through the school, but I'd prefer not paying the 6.8% interest for the Stafford Loan. So I'm hoping someone will know of another option that may have a lower interest rate or deferrable principle and interest until after graduation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.:sx:

2. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I wish you have mentioned this a few years ago. I have a huge comprehensive list of non-traditional scholarships, grants and loans. It usually takes a full academic year to establish one of these. It will also take a good amount of research, providing letters of intent and transcripts etc. The other options that I am aware of through federal funding are typically need based: Subsidized Stafford loan, Perkins loan, Institutional funding through your school, work study, Pell Grant, Hope scholarship. Other non-traditional funding is: Home loan, cashing in stock, bonds, T bills or any investment you may hold. Last and most undesirable if you flat out own your Suby sell it and by a newer one at a low interest rate 0-5% you still take the big hit for depreciation if it is a 08-09.

If you PM me your personal e-mail I will send you the list. It is a rather large PDF so clear out some space in your e-mail :)

If any one else is interested in the list I can e-mail it to you. It applies to undergrad and grad resources.

3. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

4. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

PM sent! Good looking out.

5. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Anyone else!

6. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Man, you're right. That would've been extremely helpful several years ago.

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

There's always grad school!

8. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now! lol

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Heh I wish there was a way I can get my wife's loans at a better interest rate. She has $50K to pay off.

10. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Did she consolidate already and if yes what rate did they negotiate at?

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yes she did. Lowest she could get was 8.2%. I think that is high.

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

wow! that is high.. mine was at 4.9

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah but I also know it jumped up a lot since I graduated. When did you get yours in?

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

2 years ago...

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Grrrrr anyone knows of any good programs that will renegotiate?

16. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Ouch.....yea I am in the same boat. Based on my research if she does a new loan she can re-consolidate the loans. I am doing this. Went back for my Ma and it is essentially free but I made a minimal loan. Once I finish and the loan goes into repayment I will re-consolidate. If Sallie Mae won't do it I will get another servicer to. They should re-negotiate the interest rate when they combine the loans. I am hoping the rate keeps dropping. They usually renegotiate mid-way between the current and the rate you're at.

Otherwise there is always the multiple life time repayment plan:rofl:

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

LOL yeah for my 10 k loan ill be done in 2018. wtf?

18. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

After I complete my MA I am going back for my doctoral and time the classes so that I graduate when I'm 85. Once my loans go into repayment I will either be dead or too senile to realize how broke I am..................yeeeha!