So I have acquired an S2000

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by slowwrx, Sep 24, 2008.

1. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

So I have acquired an S2000

It is Red and Fun to drive....I really want to hate this car....but....I can't

Thoughts?

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I will have one someday

3. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

From what it sounds like there's nothing to hate about it.

I love hondas, but hate the assholes who ruin them.

I still think a thoughtfully modified eg hatch is one of the finer things in the world of modified cars. There's too damn many of them, but there's a reason for it; They're so easy to make into absolute fun machines. You're really just a set of sticky tires and coilovers from a mountain run toy that gets 30mpg. Even more so with the S2000...being rear drive and all.

Enjoy it, my friend.

4. '05limited

'05limited Member

5. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

AP1? I have yet to drive one, how is headroom with the top up

6. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

^^^ I would really like to see some pics with Matt in the car...just to compare, we need two; one with the top up and then one with the top down.

7. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I feel like that would be hilarious. Matt, you're not exactly a small guy. I mean I barely fit into an S2000.

8. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

LOLZ@U!

...seriously, it's a proper sports car. what's there to hate about it? congrats on the new ride...

9. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

sweet, i almost bought one when i sold my sti.

10. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I give it 3 months max. before you've got some sort of forced induction on it.

11. ^^^ What he said..... that's the only problem with them, short of forced induction there's not really much you can do for power.....

That being said, I love them, I almost traded my WRX for one at one point..... the AP1 is definitely more fun to drive than the AP2, with the higher redline and twitchy suspension, but the AP2 had more shoulder room for me.....

12. slowwrx

It is really twitchy, I actually fit in the car fine. I can't stand to have the top up and I've actually only driven it now with it up for about 5 minutes in the rain.

If I were going to keep it I would put a turbo kit on it for sure but this one is just to sell. I might end up buying another one at some point for the wife, since we got rid of her STI limited.

13. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

hmm.....I need to replace my WRX with something in the future. I thought about a S2K, but only if I had a second larger vehicle.

14. Meredith

Meredith Banned

matt... welcome to the darkside... we have oversteer and camber.

I'd be weary on FI on the s2k, of the local people I know that have done it few if any have gotten a reliable car afterwards.

I've driven the AP1 both penske's and koni yellows... I'd say invest in some nice shocks. The car goes from twitchy to extermely predictable oversteer wtih a good set of stocks. While the penskes are bit to pricey if I were to buy them (thanks former owner of my car), I would have definitely gone with a set of motons versus OTS konis as I can't stand the car on the konis.

Good luck!

15. techlord

techlord Active Member

^^what are said problems? I have a buddy with a SC one and he really beats the crap out of it. I am surprised it has lasted as long as it has.
    oh matt, you must look so cute in that thing. Siegel would fit like a charm. LOL

16. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

The only time I really drove an S2K was driving BrianGTs during a Novice Day at Turner Field. At the end of the day, we got a bunch of free runs. I got to drive Brians S2k and Mere's STi. The S2K was the smoothest car I have ever experienced thru the slalom. THe WRX and STi throw you violently from side to side. The S2K felt like butter. It was so smooth it was ridiculous. After that day, I have always planned to someday own one as a second car.

17. Meredith

Meredith Banned

LOL I don't quite know... all I see if that people turbo them... then they die and then there is a part out. I do remember one at an S2k track day, so I guess reliable ones are out there.

18. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

there also locals that run 35r with AEM with a different head gasket for as long as I can remember, obvisouly slapping on a turbo kit and praying for longivity isn't going to work.

19. dmp

dmp New Member

It's a fantastic car which will out-accelerate (laterally) most-every car you'd encounter, assuming you had good tires on it. I didn't care for the dash layout, nor the cramped conditions (felt tighter in a bad way, than did my 93 Miata). Otherwise, man - that car is a pure sports car. :)

20. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Matt fits just fine :)

21. Alex

IIRC, the rear diffs cannot take power above 300whp. I do not recall why the diff blew at the club wars track event.

22. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I suppose that's drifting? :wiggle:

23. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I have tuned a bunch of FI s2k's all are still running. I too actually like them, and FI would be my first mod since they are so damn slow.

But damn that Cwest s2k, no point of building a car thats allready out there. Nope if I buy another project car its going to be an NA 3rotor rx8.

24. slowwrx

It is really really slow. I'm probably not going to keep it that long anyway.

Matt

25. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I really don't like their digital speedo...maybe you can learn to hate that?

26. slowwrx

I don't really car for that myself. Something more along the lines of the STIs instrument cluster seems like it would be better.

27. :eek3:

Do it!

HOT!

28. dmp

dmp New Member

naw - it's lateral acceleration. The kind of acceleration too many guys with high-horsepower forget about in their quest for performance. :)

I've embarrassed C5s 6-8 years ago in my Miata under the right circumstances. My RX8 makes believers out of drivers of much "faster" cars, too :)

220whp in a 2500? lbs car? That's not slow...just drive it harder. :)

29. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Diffs blow on stock cars pretty easily... the axles and diffs are the weak point of the car.

Don't know where you got those numbers from but my AP1 weights a touch over 2700 lbs on the SCCA scales. The AP2 CR on the same scales weights about 2850ish...

Most dynos I've seen show about 200-205 whp for a stock s2k.

However I completely agree with you... the car is hard to drive fast

30. dmp

dmp New Member

I guessed as to the weight - hence the ?. Really surprises me they are that heavy, though. Puts them at only a couple hundred lbs less than a RX8. I put together an RX8 dyno a few years ago; one club member brought his S2k which made 219whp (measured). :)

I remember it distinctly because his car rated at 240hp made that, our cars rated at 238 made about 185whp. We all felt jipped.

31. slowwrx

No that is slow for sure. My STI is 2800lbs and makes 470whp on the old setup...thats pretty quick.

A 650hp C6 Z06 is fast....a S2000 is not.

32. dmp

dmp New Member

Oh. So....it's all about perspective. :) I suppose, though, on the right track, that s2k could still make your sti look silly-slow. :D

33. slowwrx

When you find that track....let me know

34. dmp

dmp New Member

(shrug). HP doesn't make a fast track car. Brakes, tires, and driver are as - or more - important.

:)

35. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

His old sti would DEVASTATE that s2000.

It'd be like an elephant stepping on an ant.

36. slowwrx

I've been to a couple of track days...what I mean by a couple is that in 2007 I had over 20,000 miles on track. I have big stoptechs and Hoosiers and HP does make you go faster on track.

37. slowwrx

The new setup is way better than the old setup. I think I'm probably two months out on having it done.

38. Alex

Can you sell me your s2k for testing purposes then :)

39. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

This would only be possible if he had a Matt Ball voodoo doll in the s2k, but not in the STi...that is the only way for the s2k to be faster....because a Matt Ball voodoo doll reduces lap times

:rofl:

40. dmp

dmp New Member

41. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

42. dmp

dmp New Member

I'm just saying it's silly to label a very capable car as 'slow' because in some instances, it's slowER than other cars. The S2k is VERY capable in the right hands...that's my point. :)

43. Alex

GG, Power to Weight Ratio :)

44. dmp

dmp New Member

don't hate me cuz I'm spec.Beautiful. :p

:D

:beers:

45. Alex

:rofl:

46. slowwrx

It might be fast to you I'm just telling you from my point of view its not fast.

47. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

i think its just that you are vTeC hater yo!

48. Alex

Probably :)

49. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

50. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

o shit daWG! you gotz dat mad tyte jDm VTEKKK scOOtr!