Blackout?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JL889, Sep 27, 2008.

1. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

ATHENS, Ga. -- Forget the blackout. This was an early knockout.

Backed by a dominant defense and John Parker Wilson's accurate passing, No. 8 Alabama raced to a stunning 31-point lead by halftime against self-destructing Georgia and held on to beat the third-ranked Bulldogs 41-30 Saturday night, establishing Nick Saban's team as a national championship contender in his second season.

Fast Facts

• This was the sixth time Alabama and Georgia have met when both were ranked teams. For the first time, the Crimson Tide came out the victors.

• Alabama has not trailed at any point this season.

• Georgia has played three games between Top 10 teams in the long history of Sanford Stadium. The Bulldogs have lost all three. Georgia has also lost five of its last six home games against Top 10 teams.

-- ESPN research

Georgia (4-1, 1-1 Southeastern Conference) became the third team in the top four to fall on a devastating week for ranked teams, joining No. 1 USC and No. 4 Florida in the loss column.

Alabama (5-0, 2-0) is poised to move up at least three or four spots when the new poll comes out Sunday, and the Tide certainly looked as impressive as anyone all year in winning decisively on the road against a team that started the season at the top of the heap.

Wilson went 13-of-16 passing for 205 yards and a touchdown, while Glenn Coffee ran for two scores in a game that wasn't nearly as close as the final score. Georgia scored two touchdowns in the waning minutes.

Not even the most optimistic Alabama fan could have expected Saban, who won a national championship at LSU, to turn the Tide so quickly. This again looks like a program more in keeping with the tradition of Bear Bryant, not Saban predecessor Mike Shula.

Looking for a motivational edge, Georgia came out wearing black jerseys, and most of its fans at 92,000-seat Sanford Stadium also took part in the "blackout." But the biggest cheers came from the white-clad Alabamians sprinkled throughout the massive stands.

Georgia showed some disturbing tendencies even while winning its first four games, and those sure came back to bite the Bulldogs. They were flagged twice in the opening half for roughing the passer, crucial but familiar mistakes for a team that already was the most penalized in the SEC. Also, an offensive line featuring two freshman and two sophomores was no match for Alabama's massive front led by 365-pound Terrence Cody.

Knowshon Moreno got only nine carries for 34 yards, and quarterback Matthew Stafford spent much of the game running for his life as Georgia's 11-game winning streak ended.

Royal Return
    Prince Miller's 92-yard punt return touchdown is now the second-longest in Georgia history.
    Year

Player

Yards
    1952 Jimmy Campagna 100
    2008 Prince Miller 92
    1968 Jake Scott 90
    1950 Zippy Morocco 90
    1949 Eli Maricich 88

The Bulldogs actually made Alabama a little nervous in the opening minute of the fourth quarter, closing to 31-17 on Prince Miller's 92-yard punt return. But the Tide calmly wrapped it up on the next possession, driving 51 yards in eight plays for Leigh Tiffin's second field goal.

The game was decided before halftime. Alabama took the opening kickoff and pushed 80 yards in 11 plays, benefiting from two Georgia penalties that helped keep the drive moving.

Miller was called for pass interference in the end zone, which wasn't a bad one to take since it looked as though he was beaten. But there was no excuse for Akeem Dent delivering a blow to Wilson's face, which negated a fumble that Georgia recovered after a completed pass. Two plays later, Mark Ingram scored on a 7-yard run.

The Tide was just getting started.

Georgia was called for two more crucial penalties on the visiting team's next possession -- a defensive holding on Miller and another roughing-the-passer penalty when Jarius Wynn delivered a blow on Wilson a full two steps after he let go of a pass. The Bulldogs stiffened near the goal line, forcing the Tide to settle for Tiffin's 23-yard field goal.

After Brian Mimbs shanked a 19-yard punt, Wilson hooked up with star freshman Julio Jones on a 31-yard pass and Coffee finished off the 48-yard drive with a 3-yard touchdown.

The Bulldogs couldn't do anything right. A.J. Green, the freshman receiver coming off a huge game at Arizona State, had the ball stripped away after a catch. Dont'a Hightower, Alabama's star freshman on defense, grabbed it out of the air and started another Tide possession on Georgia's side of the field, this time at the 33.

On third-and-goal at the 4, the Tide lined up in the shotgun and handed off to Roy Upchurch, who burst up the middle without being touched until he was in the end zone.

Wilson's 22-yard pass to Jones completed the onslaught and left Georgia with its worst deficit in Mark Richt's eight years as coach.

What happened Bulldogs! ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Crazy weekend football wise.... lots o' upsets... GO WOLVERINES!

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah if anyone thinks this means anything in the grand scheme of things you're crazy. it will still be an SEC team in the National championship, probably playing Oklahoma. All UGA has to do is beat FLA to play in the SEC championship. They will probably play Alabama or LSU twice, and the winner will go to the national championship. I am a die hard UGA fan and I said at the beginning of the season, I would be happy with 3 losses this season. With 2 losses they will still be able to play for a national title, esp. now that USC has also lost. Its gonna be OK v. SEC champ

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

I hate to say it, but USC isn't out of it yet. Despite losing to a crappy team, they did it early enough in the season where if no one is undefeated going into the championship game, they would definitely be a contender. It sucks, but when you lose (not how or to who you lose) can mean everything in the BCS. (obviously the same goes for UGA and Florida)

UGA is definitely not out of any kind of contention. This could be a repeat of last season where they turn into a beast of a team after a few uninspiring games. Luckily for them, this time the reality check loss came to an SEC team outside of their division so making it to the SEC championship is still entirely up to them.

Last notes:

-Julio has NFL written all over him.
    -Go Jackets.

6. jeb

jeb Member

I really doubt any two loss team has a chance. If there is a one loss SEC champion they're in for sure but if the SEC champion is somehow a two loss team there too many other possible teams to take the spot. If that happened I'd bet the big 12 champion(most likely Mizzou or Oklahoma) will be playing either one loss USC or gulp (please not again) Ohio State. I personally want to see the SEC champion play USC but unless Mizzou or Oklahoma lose two games then win the big 12 I don't think theres a way. The season is still early so anything can really happen at this point

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Didnt LSU do it lat year with 2 losses?

UGA has to beat more than just FL.

They have to beat Tn, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Fl, LSU, and then Ga Tech. They have a long road ahead of them. Yes, they are not completely out of the picture, but they are also not in the best position in the SEC either.

Sorry, I just hate to hear all of this crap from UGA fans about how they are still going to national champions after they got spanked by Alabama and I am NOT an Alabama fan.

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

LSU did go with 2 losses but last year was a unique year for college football.

Bama looked good but to jump that far in the polls this week IMO shows how flawed the whole system is anyways.

Playoffs please.... ;)

9. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I want to see a undefeated LSU vs a undefeated Alabama. That my friend would be a nice game.

10. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

:fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk::fawk:GO DOGS!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  11. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Go BUCKS!! crazy weekend of football!!

12. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Well spoke. Don't you people spell it 'dawgs'?

13. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

You people what you mean you people? :rofl::rofl: