2009 265 hp impreza

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsvwrx, Oct 2, 2008.

1. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

"Subaru Introduces New 265-hp 2009 Impreza WRX

The Subaru Impreza WRX delivers bold performance for 2009 thanks to a 265-horsepower intercooled, turbocharged SUBARU BOXER engine, retuned suspension and wider, lower-profile summer performance tires. Its redesigned grille, integrated front spoiler/body-side moldings and gunmetal gray alloy wheels move it closer to the WRX STI in spirit and styling.

The 2009 Impreza WRX is equipped exclusively with a 5-speed manual transmission and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. The Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system, standard on all Impreza models for 2009, helps to enhance road handling safety.

The new WRX also gains a rally-inspired interior with performance-design front seats. The WRX Premium offers a power moonroof and includes the 10-speaker audio upgrade with auxiliary input jack, projector-beam fog lights, dual-mode heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and a windshield wiper de-icer. A navigation system with video jack inputs is also available. "

Press rel:
    http://www.subaru.com/common/news/a...08.xml&date=20080731-02&cid=em_200810_insider

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Standard 17 x 7-inch alloy wheels wear 225/45R17 summer performance tires, compared to 205/50R17 all-season tires on the 2008 WRX.

Best update ftw.

3. WJM

WJM Banned

Hello more customer pay broken gears!!! WAHOO!

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Maybe itll be stronger?

5. WJM

WJM Banned

Rumor from SOA has that...but unless they did significant widening of the gears, i doubt it.

Here's what would have to happen to keep the same case sets and have a stronger 5MT:

redesign ALL of the sleeve/hub assemblies to be narrower. Now you have more room for gears. But at this point you are losing surface area for the sleeve to transfer the power from the gear to the shaft via the hub and the hub might break. CAREFUL design/engineering to get the gear width/hub-sleeve width ratio correct.

Thats about it. Everything else would be the same. Shift forks would stay the same (making the arms on the forks narrower would allow them to break unless they were made from hardened steel which would increase weight and probably cost due to material changes)

Most bearings would be the same, except the gear rollers, they would need to change width due to gear width changes.

Ring and pinion no changes.

Center diff no changes.

So...I have three theories about the 09 WRX trans:

1. Unchanged from 2008.
    2. Widened gears as described above.
    3. Different gear ratios and MUCH shorter final drive to take stress off the gear set.

if none of those, #4 would be a completely new 5MT or a 6MT minus the 6th gear.

6. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Dumb question....Will it look the same?

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeap... itll change in 2010 if the trend stays the same

8. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Well that kills that option. I really do not like the body designs at all. The hatchback is still growing on me, but the WRX sedan is a Corolla to me.

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Can anyone give me the name of a car company that changes/redesigns their cars more than Subaru?! This is insane! Who would buy a new one? Just wait a few months and get a totally redesigned model!

Fortunately for me, Foresters have gotten SUPER UGLY and in no way sporty, so it looks like I got the last of the good ones...

10. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

In the interest of research, maybe you could convince your dealer to let you tear one apart on a slow afternoon. We would all love to know!

11. WJM

WJM Banned

Ummm...no.

1. They wouldn't let me for no good reason and thats not a good reason.
    2. I would not get paid for it.
    3. I'll be seeing broken ones soon enough.

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, Classic just got one in last night. As soon as its ready i will be going over for a test drive.

Will, SOA said they strengthened parts of the gearbox but did not say what specifically. Also, the ratios and final drive are the same as the 08.

This is sorta old news. These changes were announced over 2 months ago. The full specs are now on Subaru's main website but have been downloadable from the media/press site for a month.

I will probably either get the premium package hatch that Classic got last night or wait for a silver hatch without the premium package. Only time and the offer the dealer gives me will tell.

13. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

there is good chance that Classic will sell the 09 WRX at invoice. (Recent Classic customer)

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

$500 over actually. If the car was not a premium package car I would have bought it tonight. I think I am going to place an order for one the way I want on Monday. The 09 WRX makes you wonder if its even related to the 08 WRX.

In short, its good...VERY good. Every complaint I had with the 08 was addressed. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

15. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

What do you have against the premium package? 10speakers! Butt warmers! What more can you ask for?

16. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

oh what did you get?

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Ride: 08 STI // z4

i am assuming

18. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the 09 also gets a few minor tweaks looks wise. IIRC, the rear bumper fascia is different as is the front. not much else has changed.

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

The sunroof and the cost. For a sunroof I don't want, heated seats I don't care about, upgrades stereo I will end up replacing and fog lights I actually want, I don't feel the package is worth the $2500.

20. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

a turbo-diesel engine :)