Ford adapts parental controls on new cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GTscoob, Oct 6, 2008.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

2. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Werd!

I had a 1984 VW Jetta. I didnt even get a radio with it.

3. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I think this is a great idea, but the speed limit should be user definable as opposed to the standard speed of 80 mph. When I first started driving, my parents did not want me driving on the highway. With something like this, they could have limited the car to 50 mph, which would be appropriate for any non-highway roads max speed. All non-highways were limited to 45 where I grew up.

Come on Bobby, you grew up in the Atlanta area didn't you? My first time visiting here, my sister was working for like the JCC, so we went out an met a bunch of the kids my sister was supervising. These were 16 year old kids, just got their drivers license and driving around in brand new BMWs and Merecedes. Do you really expect the parents around here to embarrass their children by making them start driving in an old beat up POS?

My first car was an 88 Nissan Sentra that didn't have a radio, and couldn't exceed 80 mph going down a mountain with a strong tailwind. Things have changed greatly since my childhood.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Hell yea my first car was an 88 toyota pickup with rust acne all over it and faded paint.

I got pulled over on the highway doing 80 in a 55 but let off. My mom just laughed at the fact I was able to get it to go that fast.

Nowadays you see so many kids driving new cars. My friend is hoping to get a brand new mustang, but will have to pay the note and insurance on it while in school and I am trying to get him to settle with a beater until he's done because no way in hell will he be able to afford the damn thing.

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Hay that's how I learned all my limited wrenching skills=Young Broke Ford Owner. Every damn Ford I had broke down, no exception.

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Oh trust me, especially growing up in Peachtree City there were too many kids driving brand new BMWs and IS300s when I was in high school. Half were wrecked before graduation and the other half had ricer wings, euro lights, neons, and APC mufflers. Not to mention the kids driving Integra Type Rs and Civic Sis modded with parents' money.

I had my F-150 growing up which was always really nice and quick enough for my needs. I still think the best learner car is a single cab automatic 4 cyl Ranger. It'll get good mileage, be slow as balls, and keep the kid from carrying around all of his friends. Kids should learn to drive on autos first, IMO, that way they concentrate on steering and not on shifting.

9. WJM

WJM Banned

WRONG!!!!!!! Those subarus are quite quick. :keke: The RX pegged the speedo quite often and quickly once desired.

HA! 80 is fast enough for you until you're about 26, I can tell already.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. You'll be dead before you're 20 unless your parents limit your speed to 60 or under until you're 22, then limit it to 75 until you're 27.

What would REALLY help things...teach them how the HANDLE a vehicle PROPERLY and really inject the rules of the road into them. BRAINWASH them Marine style.

I support the idea. However, the 80mph limiter would have still landed me every single speeding ticket and off road expedition I ever got myself into. Thus it needs to be user definable from 30mph and up.