Ga Tech MBA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gte123v, Aug 21, 2007.

1. gte123v

gte123v Member

Is anyone currently in the tech MBA program? I'm thinking about doing the evening program but I want to hear what everyone thinks about it. Thanks!

2. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

I've taken a couple mba level courses and they are always enjoyable :)
    I'm not in the mba program though

3. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

isn't the MBA program at Georgia State better?

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

holy shit i just smacked my laptop screen....damn your sig lol

5. gte123v

gte123v Member

I think so, but I rather not go there on the grounds that there's no parking and all the ghetto stuff. My gf goes there, she told me all about it.

6. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

:rofl:

7. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

All my Adv. Accounting classes are Grad levels, and I enjoy those environments. All the professors are knowledgeable and classes are not that hard level (maybe too easy for MBA level??).

Steve, you graduated from Tech with EE degree, but why not just come back here again??? Tech's MBA ranking and reputation have been always gone up each year.

8. gte123v

gte123v Member

Thanks Andy, that's what I was thinking too. I don't even have to apply again, I just need to take the GMAT, a couple of cheesy essays and rec. letters from my work. I can't believe that I actually want to go back to school again.

9. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

you sir, are one brave soul, I simply want to get of there

10. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

BTW, why do you want to come back to school?? your job doesn't pay you well?? or just craving for more school?? or more college parties??? haha but seriously, why?? (as a soon to be graduating student, it puts me in worrying position)

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

prob bored or wants more out of his career ;)

GSU is weak, GT is strong :sx:

12. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

13. gte123v

gte123v Member

haha, sorry to worry you Andy. Basically I just want more out of my career. My work is putting me in the leadership program as a succession plan for the company, so I figure I might as well get a MBA (the evening program) for free. Sorry to disappoint you, no college parties for me.

14. gte123v

gte123v Member

That's right! GT FOR LIFE!

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

woot! woot! When I was putting my daughter on the school bus this morning my neighbor was teasing us since she's a bulldog fan. My daughter then said "I want a Ga Tech b-day party and get everyone's face painted with Buzz". Almost shed a tear...

Of course I'd love to have pics of my neighbor's kids w/ Buzz painted on their faces!!! Muwahahaha!!

16. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

well that's a good thing, actually I go to Tech now, writing this one on campus :fawk:

17. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

ha ha my bad.

18. socrates42

socrates42 Member

Steve, do you really need ANOTHER degree from tech? you already have two!

19. gte123v

gte123v Member

The more the better? especially if it's free.:naughty:

20. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Yeah, I did it! Wanna fight about it?

:eek3:Back from the dead......:eek3:

Do you think its possible to take evening classes for your MBA with a commute?

I am thinking of moving back closer to the city to start my MBA next fall. GA State or GT; haven't decided.

My office is moving up one exit to Suwannee! I can leave work at 3:00pm for class twice a week and make it downtown. I do travel, but I can set my travel dates and times accordingly.

Is anyone currently doing this, or attemped it?

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

If you do part time, gsu is #5 or something.

22. gte123v

gte123v Member

haha, i guess you looked up my thread from a while ago. That's how the classes are designed at tech so they don't start until at night for twice a week. UGA actually has a campus in gwinnette and it's only once a week plus some online stuff. Just make sure you are ready for it as it's going to be at least a 3 year commitment and that's a lot of driving if you choose tech.

23. techlord

techlord Active Member

I know several guys who are doing this. get home at almost midnight have to be at work at 6am, drive from Jasper to cobb.

not me btw, I gots no edumakayshun.
    certifications FTMFW!

24. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Dug it up with a JDM titanium shovel:rofl:

I am committed to it. I have set my MBA goals for Information Systems degree. 3 years is what I planned for. My employer does 100% tuition reimbursement, FTW! I need to find a reasonably priced apartment near the 285 ring, maybe Perimeter or Mercer areas. My lease here is up in June 08, so I have time to shop around.

GMAT study sessions are in effect!

So, about the commute from Suwanne, sound good?

P.S. UGA can blow me, lol.

25. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

How are they taking it? Do they bitch about it, making due, or love it?

I am going to PM you about your certs. I need some info on what, where, how much, and etc.

26. gte123v

gte123v Member

study hard, those math questions are pretty tricky.

27. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I have a book, but I may shelll out the $500 for the prep classes. I am not the best at standardized testing. Theory and hands on is my forte.

Did you start your MBA?

28. techlord

techlord Active Member

well the example I just gave you is the worst case, no bitching at all he is in it for 3yrs. Even makes it to the gym by 6am everyday.
    I think the hardest part is making that decision that you are gonna do it if you are not 100% sure then I would not do it till you are ready. You are young so you have plenty time.

not sure on the certs cost and what not work pays for them.

29. gte123v

gte123v Member

nope, I just took the test like a year ago so I can see how good of a school I can get into, that and the test score is good for like 5 years so I have some time to decide when I really want to start it.

30. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Hey hey, I turn 25 in 7 days, lol.

I am definately commited, esp if the funds are not coming out of my pocket. My career path, at least the one i'm on now, will benefit from that degree AND keep me afloat in the tech age if I dedcide to leave my posistion (not likely). Oh, and more $$. I'm a greedy little man, lol.

31. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

I'm in Tech's evening program, I just started this fall. It's not hard, per se, but it's a lot of work. I've basically written off idle time, I'm now either in class, studying, running, or working in the basement. There really isn't any time to just sit down and relax.

I'm very surprised that you get 100% re-imbursement. I'd look a little more closely and check to see if there's a cap on the dollar amount. Both my and some of my friend's reimbursement policies are such that their employer will pay 100% up to X dollars (typically $5250, or about 1 semester's worth of tuition and fees). Pay attention to detail in the tuition and fees webpages on Tech's website. The daytime vs. night comparison isn't 1:1.

As for the commute, it's not bad from Suwanee. I occasionally have to work from our office there (Old Peachtree Road). If I leave at 5:00, I'm easily parked and into class by 6:00.

32. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I believe that is standard tech protocol, does not matter what program you are in :ddirty:

33. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Thats awesome, exactly the feedback I was wanting to hear.

As far as our re-imbursement policy, there is not a cap per se. Each division has a budget set, and all classes must be approved by the VP of said division. I am by far the youngest in my division hands down, so I hope to get as much of the budget as possible since no one else needs schooling, lol. An A or B will get you the 100% back, C is 80%, all else is 0%. Also, it covers app, lab, grad, and student fees!

34. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

I have far less free time now than as an undergrad. It's not even close. Of course, I'm working full time now (as opposed to part time as an undergrad) but with all things considered, I think I have less free time now.