Orton Performance Meet&Greet, AWD Dyno Day (Payment update)

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by UpSideDownDesi, Sep 16, 2008.

1. '05limited

'05limited Member

How exact does the info have to be? I recently had my motor built, I know the displacement from the piston size/stroke, but I'm not sure of the C/R, since I had headwork done and custom pistons put in... could I just say somewhere between 8.5-9:1?

2. '05limited

'05limited Member

And I'm assuming weight is total vehicle weight?

3. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

2008 WRX Specs:

1, Engine cc = 2.5 L or (2457 CC)
    2, Bore Size = 99.5 mm
    3, Stroke = 79 mm
    4, Compression ratio = 8.4 +/- .2
    5, Weight = 3,142 lbs

Alain

4. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

2003 WRX manual numbers:

Curb weight: 3085 lbs.

Displacement: 1,994cc

Compression ratio: 8.0:1

Bore: 92.0mm

Stroke: 75.0mm

5. crashtke

2005 Legacy GT Limited:

2,457 cc

99.5 mm bore

79 mm stroke

8.2 compression ratio

3435 lbs.

6. crashtke

I spoke to a friend of mine today who has been building race engines and drag cars for quite some time now and he stated that the Land and Sea dyno is one of the best and most accurate dynos out there. He said that they are generally accurate to within 1 hp when he compares them to his drag times.

7. neil@orton

neil@orton Member

Does'nt have to be exact,main one are the wieght including driver/bore/cc's

8. pankopp

pankopp Member

2004 Volkswagen R32

Displacement: 3,189cc
    Compression ratio: 11.3:1
    Bore: 84.0mm
    Stroke: 95.9mm
    Curb weight: 3409 lbs.

9. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Anyone leaving from Gwinnett? I want to follow someone if possible.

10. esagurl

esagurl Member

i am

11. totsubo

totsubo Member

Meeting at 12:15 PM in the Best Buy parking lot by Perimeter Mall. I will be in my slow black car and there will be a silver car too....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  12. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Myself and BC2003uga are meeting at Northpoint Mall to grab food.

PM Me if you want to meet up!

13. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I thought about going up there just to hang out, but that is way too far of a drive

Maybe some other time...

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

not as big a turnout as I thought...was exciting at times an EVO and trail Blazer almost went off the dyno.
    The brittish dude that works there is one ballzy mofo.

15. wrxin8or

Umm...details?

16. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

wondering if it is still worth attending

17. techlord

techlord Active Member

well seems that 4 straps is not enough for the Trail Blazer especially with 600ft lbs and the evo could have been strapped a bit tighter and the dude did not have his hands on the wheel.

Now the Brit, who is a really cool dude stood right next to the evo as it was swaying 2.5 ft back and forth and held that puppy straight while grabbing the steering wheel. I wish I had it on video scared me and I was 50ft away.

18. wrxin8or

Ok, so I guess that cements the fact that my car won't go up there...

19. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Which evo was it? Ryan's?

20. raj100

raj100 New Member

Crap I forgot about this until just now... should I still go?? It is like 1 mile from my house.

21. crashtke

Well, they told the owner of the car to hold on to the wheel and keep it straight...he had his hands off the steering wheel the whole time. The shop owner jumped in and (at risk to himself) grabbed the wheel and kept it straight and safe. I do not believe that it was any fault of the shops.

My car was just fine as was Deborah's LGT. They actually let the owners of the cars do the runs. If you are going down the highway at 100 mph with your hands off the wheel it is going to not be a fun ride either!! All the Subaru's were just fine. The Evo's had an issue where, due to the rear suspension, there was no good place to grab on to the frame and they had to hook up somewhat narrow. The owner, Neal, is getting several more locations sank down in the concrete for straps installed this week.

The dyno read lower than Battleground. How much lower I am not sure. I am sure it varied from car to car and was a percentage thing, but one that had been put on the dyno recently at Battleground at 350 hp rang in around 315 on this dyno. Another car that did 370 something at Topspeed was around 330 at Orton. A 08 WRX that was stage 1 measured 185 or around there. A stage 1 Sti did 240 hp. Some of the evo guys were a little disappointed that their cars read lower when compared to the numbers from Topspeed and Battleground.

All in all it was a fun day with some really nice people. The owner and his wife were great as were the other people from Orton. Some really nice cars showed up including 2 new GTR's, a Lotus elise, a Lambo, couple vets and of course there were several Porches there.

It was a good time! Thanks Neal and everyone from Orton for a great meet!!

22. techlord

techlord Active Member

I agree no fault of Orton although I am not too sure I would have had the cars owner running it on the dyno.
    a few more straps wouldnt hurt at all.

23. crashtke

After you left, they added more straps to the Evo's since they were having issues.

24. 98SILVERSTANG

98SILVERSTANG Member

I had a great time guys. It was nice meeting the group. Sorry didnt stay longer my kids were ready to roll they were cold and hungry lol. THe dyno was humbling to say the least. Car dyno'd 189hp 248tq. I was expecting 210-215 or so. Next time I'll take the mustang :)

Alain

25. OZrally

OZrally Member

Some pix from Orton Performance!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. OZrally

OZrally Member

27. techlord

techlord Active Member

nice pics

28. pankopp

pankopp Member

I had a great time... it was nice to put some faces to the names after all this time..

I was pleased with my numbers. I ended up making 197 hp and 204 ft-lb. I'm not sure if the numbers were based per the information entered with each car, or just by the dyno...
    I wish I had my camera, so no pics here. those pictures had to be taken when i was on the dyno... I cant find my car anywhere.

Neil and all the other guys that worked at Orton were great, and they had some crazy stories about all their track cars and past experience.

29. Biggis

Biggis Member

Had a fantastic time guys, cool to meet some of you guys finally.

I made what I wanted to power wise, (what I expected to rather). I'll post a scan of the pulls after I get back from work tomorrow.

Again, great time, and THANK YOU for organizing this!

:ddirty:

30. OZrally

OZrally Member

MORE

Here you Andrew, some pix of your car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

nice pics.

32. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

very nice..wish i could have made it..maybe next time.

33. Jake

Jake Active Member

yay!! my car made the pics!!

i put different wheels on after the meet tho.

it was a better turnout than i expected. lots of nice cars.

34. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Did you get the Audi??:sx:

35. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

that was an GREAT Event. Thanks to everyone who came out and had a good time :goodjob:. There will be monthly meet at Orton starting next month, thread coming up soon. Everyone who was taking pix, and videos. Can you please forward me those to RisqueEvents@Gmail.com :cheers: .

36. UpSideDownDesi

Yup, that wasn't Ortons fault. Yup more straps going in.

If one does something idiotic don't blame other, plus who in the world would stand next to a car/SUV that is at full woot in 3rd gear? That's well beyond customer service, cements the fact i'll be going there. As Mike said, after the extra straps...none of the Evo's moved an inch. All subaru's were fine. Great day, good turn out for first time. They went well and beyond.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  37. Jake

Jake Active Member

last time i talked to him after the meet, he was looking at another audi. he drove the Z06 at the meet and decided that the 3.0 non-turbo would be too boring

38. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Stuff like this drives me crazy, the dudes stripe is on the wrong side.

[​IMG]

39. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Great turnout! Good job Sunny! Nice meeting everyone, new and old.

Currently I am driving and 02 A4 3.0L Quattro 6spd. Overall, I do like the car, and for the price you can't beat it. Fully loaded to hell and back. Power wise it makes 220hp/221tq. Handling = its an Audi Quattro, nuff said.

Yeah, after riding in the Z06 a few times I knew it was a nice car, but driving it.....freaking monster:naughty: I am shopping for the S4 V6 Bi-turbo or a newer S4 V8. We shall see, but the closest ones for a price that I like are in Texas and Chicago :keke:

40. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Pics!?!:eek:hnoes:

41. '05limited

'05limited Member

Is there any way we could make a list of people including what #'s they put down, maybe with a short list of mods?
    Something like this:
    9:00-9:20- Trailblazer SS
    9:20-9:40 Hope666- Alex (Evo IX)
    9:40-10:00 - Ryan (Blue EVO VIII)
    10:00-10:20 - Crashtke- Mike (03 WRX)
    10:20-10:40- 98SILVERSTANG (08 WRX)
    10:40-11:00- BlueEvoVIII (Evo VIII)
    11:00-11:20 - GTlimer (Red Evo VII)
    11:20-11:40- Ryan GG (EVO IX MR)
    11:40-12:00 Jeb- Jason (02 WRX)
    12:00-12:20 Pankopp- Andrew (VW R32)
    12:20-12:40- ShunderWunder- Andy (EvoIX)
    12:40-1:00 bcmurphy87- Chris (Mazda speed 6)

1:00-2:00- DYNO BREAK! food food

2:00-2:20 robb86- Cecil (Evo X)
    2:20-2:40- Allirae- Allison (2.5rs)
    2:40-3:00- Billys06sti (07 STi)
    3:00-3:20 OzRally- Kelsey
    3:20-3:40 - 05limited (Legacy GT Spec B) 318whp/343wtq 20g+
    3:40-4:00 bomjoon EVO IX
    4:00-4:20 Biggis- Mac(08 STI)
    4:20-4:40 05Limited's Friend- Blake (08 IS350) 235whp/221wtq catback+intake (automatic)
    4:40-5:00 Peter Flanagan (92 Glant VR4)

42. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Here are a couple......

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  43. wrxin8or

Its amazing what a $10 difference is...

44. techlord

techlord Active Member

Ouch harsh, I would not say these guys were inexperienced at all. Simply better dyno's out there IMO, heck SS just got back from Tampa using the same dyno with smaller rollers.

45. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I will say this from my time being there and watching the process. There were only 2 guys strapping the cars down, the other on the laptop. 3 Orton guys doing a dyno day for tons of cars. They were not making $$ off this event. I talked with one of the guys and something of that size was uncommon to them. They honestly didn't expect those cars to make that much power on the dyno either.

They are awesome people and I am willing to bet that if you took about 10 cars there and repeated the process, the results would be completely different. That dyno has tons more capability, but due to the amount of cars in realtion to the time frame, I think they were slightly rushed.

Just my $.02

46. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Awesome!

47. UpSideDownDesi

I can get all the number for everyone, but some people might not want them up?

on the monthly meets, they will be strapping a car down hooking up all the sensors, and feeding all the info in software for the car (about 2hr process) then the dyno will show it's true colors.

Thanks man, it was nice meeting you too, get yourself a S4. :D

48. STI LOVER

STI LOVER Member

it was a good turnout. lots of nice cars.

49. '05limited

'05limited Member

I can't imagine why...it's just a number (actually, if you could get graphs too, that would be awesome!)

50. Brian

Brian Active Member

FYI, I was there and got to see the EVO drama. Sooo wish I had caught that on video. FWIW, they didn't have the straps crossed and so had almost no side to side stability. They didn't cross them for subsequent pulls either, just tightened them harder (and made sure drivers held the steering wheel?)

And those GT-R's were nice. :)