MMTasty's Forester Sport

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by mmtasty, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'm really digging this Forester!

June '08 I bought this: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f93/fs-2007-fsxt-5-speed-sti-replica-florida-35462/

The PO had some nice parts on it...
    • IHI VF39
    • STI TMIC
    • Brembo STI Front Big Brake Kit with Brembo slotted rotors
    • Prodrive 18” Gold PFF-7’s
    • Swift Springs
    • APS Turbo Back
    • HID Conversion
    • STI Rear tail lamp swap
    • STI WRB Hood Scoop
    • Rear factory wing

because I knew I wanted a Sport. There weren't may around so I didn't have much choice. I wish I could have found a WHITE one... those are so incredible. All I knew is that I didn't want blue on gold. :unamused: But the blue is growing on me.

[​IMG]
    Here it is as I bought it. A few parts I liked, and a few things I knew I'd have to change. I autoXed it like this ONCE and only once. Wow... it was like driving a motorhome. The brakes were terrible, the power wasn't smooth, it rolled all over, tires wouldn't hold at all...

I'm not a fan of putting STi stickers on something that isn't, so those came off. I also didn't like having BIG glittery gold calipers, and small silver rears, so I painted them black. While I was in there I also added an H6 kit, SS lines, and a STi master cylinder. Mucho big improvement!!! I also pulled off the 5% window tint because it's illegal and I couldn't see past sunset.
    [​IMG]

Now that the brakes were adequate, I ripped out the super crappy Delta system and went with an AP V2. I also bumped up the front sway to a 27-29, added some rear subframe lockout bolts, the WL rear control arm/swaybar helper thingys, and WL rear spherical endlinks.

Still looking for more stealthyness, I painted the headlights with black ceramic paint. It was a PITA to do, but worth it.
    I also bought the original Forester Sport grill badge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WORK EMOTIONS!!! Finally ditched the blue and gold look I never liked.
    [​IMG]

And that following weekend, JPMCoachworks | Automotive Redesign Studio finished my wheel! It's black suede with pink stitching. It's incredible...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Last week I went camping near Ellijay and played with the camera. A few turned out pretty cool, but these are some of the only car shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

This is why a 4 door sedan that didn't have fold down rear seats wasn't working for me.
    [​IMG]

And one more for the road...
    [​IMG]

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

those wheels are perfect!

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

Looks great! It remind me a lot of the Forrester STI I saw running around in Dublin.

[​IMG]

6. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

F-ing right. im diggin that thing..

7. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

hell yeah this thing is so nice man.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man you are not helping me in my current situation ;)

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Or maybe he is ;)

10. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

SLAMMED it today!!!

And by SLAMMED I mean I can't tell a difference. I swapped in some '07 TR WRX struts, springs, tophats, and 3/8" rear paranoid spacers. Before was stock struts with Swift Forester springs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It does seem to ride a little firmer and have less lift/sag at a WOT start. Overall I guess it's a good thing to do with minimal money and an hour.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Looks great. The front does look a tad lower ;)

12. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I was thinking the rear looked lower... hmm...

13. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

looks bad A either way!

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It does look a tad lower but very minimal. I approve as I don't like totally slammed Forester's. That would be my ideal stance if I had one.

15. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I gave my Forester some Christmas love. I'll snap some shots after the install.

235/45 Direzza Star Specs
    Eibach Pro Kit for WRX (should be a good drop for a Forester)
    Whiteline Camber Plates
    Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
    '04 STi Steering rack (deal still pending)

And a full detail and wax. :)

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

i love the way the steering wheel came out. wish i could afford to have alex and the gang do the same to my spare '06 steering wheel

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Journal looks great!

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Looks clean keep it up.

Wanna sell that stearing wheel?

19. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

You really want me to start off the year hatin don't ya dammit man lookin good!!:ddirty:

20. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

It's crazy isn't it?! No way. Alex really went out of his way to get it perfect for me and it's staying. But I'm sure he'll make you a custom one of your own though.

21. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

Looks good. Waiting for the next updates.

22. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Good news and bad news everyone...

[​IMG]

Good news
    is that SS tuned up the Forester like a wet dream! It's still just a vf-39, 3" catted TBE, and STi TMIC. Everything else is stock Forester XT.

Bad news is that he had to stop at 19 pounds of boost because my fuel pump was maxed out, and at 354 foot-pounds because the clutch wouldn't hold. (On the bottom graph you can see the slipping start at 3500)

So, my next decision is to get a better clutch and see how long the 5 speed lasts, or go for the 6 speed swap.

23. undrgrndrdr15

killer numbers...
    that is one nasty ride...

24. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Based on the bad, those are good numbers with room to go! If you have the cash I wouldn't think twice about a 6sp swap.

25. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Very cool. Congrats on a unique ride. I think the 6 speed would just be sick. Would definitely be reminiscent of the JDM Sti Forester concept!

26. techlord

techlord Active Member

That is one bad grocery getter!

I say save up for the 6mt and sell that 5mt with the low miles.

27. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Your FXT Sport is looking mighty BA!!!.

Mark

28. longfury

longfury Active Member

I think I saw that FXT one day in front of where I work!

After driving both the Subaru 5MT and 6MT, I would say do the swap and be done with it. The 6MT is far superior.

29. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

WRX Eibach springs, WL camber plates, alignment, STi steering rack, and 235/45 Star Specs now on! Saving my monies for the 6 speed... :naughty:

[​IMG]

30. Biggis

Biggis Member

damn. just ...damn.

:bowdown:

31. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

gah, i love these things!

32. FACE

FACE Active Member

:drool:

33. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Bling!

[​IMG]

'04 WRX seats (black STi seats). They're 10x's more supportive and probably 2" lower. I'm happy! Swapping the airbag stuff over and seat heaters was a PITA, but it's worth it.

34. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Dude....that thing is SICK...I'm starting to feel the need to buy something else.

35. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

i've got my eye on a blue one and a black, hopefully will be owner to 1 of them within a month.

GREAT JOB!

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Nice. Just don't wear pants with velcro pockets.

37. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

I didn't think the '04 sti seats and '04 wrx seats were the same just different cloths

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They aren't. The Sti back buckets are wider.

39. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Damn they even bigger? May as well be a loveseat

40. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I should amend my statement.... They fit like '05-'06 STi seats. Someone has said the '04 STi seats are narrower, but I've never sat in them to confirm. They seem to be like '05-'06 STi seats. Either way, they fit GREAT and aren't blue. You wouldn't know the fabric doesn't match the rear bench perfectly unless I pointed it out to you. Plus, the golf ball texture matches the textured dash. So IMHO, '04 WRX seats are a perfect match to the '06-'08 Forester.

I was trying to compile a seat info thread on SF.org, but all of the information seems to contradict.

41. undrgrndrdr15

seats look great

42. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Now that the new springs have settled, here's the new stance. I needed to roll the rear fenders just a little, but I went ahead and rolled them flat then pulled them too. hahaha...

[​IMG]

43. undrgrndrdr15

damn that is sexy as hell

44. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

45. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

already voted...i'm in the process of buying one too!!!

46. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Nice! You won't regret it. My secret evil plan is to get everyone to sell their Imprezas and buy one.

Thanks, but you can't actually vote yet because the official poll isn't posted yet.

47. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

I put my 2 cents in

48. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Probably going to put the wifes BMW up for sale shortly and pick up a Forester...and it is totally 100% your fault.

49. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Can't wait to start work on ours!!!

50. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Damn that looks awesome! Sometimes I wish I had gone that route.

As for the seats. 04 STI's did feel a bit narrower than mine, however the most noticeable difference is WRX seats are softer. The STI's are much harder.