Law Question... For the COPS Here...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mmtasty, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

So, I have this motorcycle... it's not crazy fast or loud, but it's a blast to ride around, say, a school parking lot after hours when nobody is there. Or maybe a church parking lot. Not wheelies and stunts, just laps. I'll plot out a few medians and make a short race course out of them. I know it's probably not legal because it's too much fun, but at least I'm off the streets!

So, what am I looking at if a cop sees me doing laps in the bus lane?

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

I think you'd be better off on private property (not a public school).

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

one could also argue the school is his property, being a tax payer and all. I don't think they'd lock you up, probably just tell you to leave.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

just get the permission from the owner/manager of the land/parking lot that the church is on. assume any/all responsibility...cops can't touch you then. :)

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Lol. Back in Highschool me and my friends used to go to this huge church parking lot with cones and setup an autox course and drift. We usually did this in the rain but one night we couldn't resist and did it on the dry pavement making way too much noise.

After about 30 min both me and my friend got the instinct that it was time to go and sure enough on the way out 3 cop cars pulled in.

Both of my friends got tickets (I was riding shotgun) for laying drag and I think trespassing. They didn't get hit seriously just had to pay a fine.

I dunno what would happen if you were on a bike, they may get you for making too much noise at night.

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I just went back and re-read your post. I'm sure if you were doing it during the day You'd be fine just driving around.

7. jeb

jeb Member

Back in HS(2001) one of my friends had just received a new 328i for his 17th birthday and went set out to go drifting in it in Rome GA(highest police per ca pita in the US at the time) and sure enough we got caught about 20 seconds into it. We were doing this in the Riverbend mall parking lot and as soon as we got pulled over the guy sitting behind me, who was also in my hs class, jumps out to go talk to the cops. Turns out his dad owned Riverbend mall so we got off but I don't know how many times you can pull that one off. I would definitely go for a church or mall over a school though.

8. Keep a couple of things in mind:

1) You're on someone else's property.... how would you feel about somebody tear-assing around your parking lot without your permission?

2) If you do get permission (and you probably won't unless you're good friends with the owner or you're planning a sanctioned event), you'd better be able to prove it to the police

3) Regardless of whether or not you have permission, reckless driving is one of the few traffic charges that apply to private property.... not saying that you will be charged with it, just that it's a possibility

If you're out in the parking lot working on basic skills, 99% of the time that's not a problem; it's just like when you see some kid in an empty parking lot with his parents practicing parallel parking. If you're dragging knees around the medians however, I can guarantee you someone will complain on you and the police will come knocking. Play at your own risk....

What kind of bike is it btw?

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

It's a supermoto bike. I'm just getting used to cornering with my foot out rather than knee down. It's fun around 30-40MPH whereas a street bike at 70-80.

Is public school grounds after hours private property? And I'm not drifting and destroying things. What would probably happen is someone would call, I'd see the cop come flying into the lot, and I'd have plenty of time to slow it down so it looks like I'm just practicing some basic skills, which is what I'm doing. Some basic supermoto skills. I just didn't know if there were some laws that said if you set foot on public school grounds you'd instantly be guilty of ______ and will be locked up for 6 months.

10. Even better, schools are government property ;)

11. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Rent the lot and pay sanctioning/insurance fees like the rest of us do :p

12. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

What does it cost to rent Turner's Green Lot for a day?

13. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

an arm and a leg for one vehicle during the game..so an arm and leg * one vehicle - the game = x....i have no clue....

I think if you're in a church parking lot or something of the sort you'd be fine....just no crazy stuff...

14. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Alot... don't forget you need to have insurance

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  15. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

it costs a lot to rent a lot... hahaa...

16. Matt

you're fired.....

17. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

You're just jealous that I'm so cool.

18. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

My buddies and I were renting the track down in Barnesville for Supermoto last year. Super fun day of riding on a real track for only about $100ea.

19. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Probably will look into a group of SM guys to head to little tally. We could probably get in with some sport bike guys and just so a SM session...

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

I used to do something very similar. It was a YSR I would race around a school running track. The track connected to the street and a school parking lot, so it wasn't blocked to traffic and was empty on evenings/weekends. The cops would drive by, check me out, and move on. Never had a problem doing that for almost a year.

21. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I certainly wouldn't go on the running track... I could see them flipping out.

Now that I think about it, I used to have an 8' long 4' diameter steel tube that I lined with wood and carpet that we would haul over to the middle school and ride down the hills inside of. Cops would pull in and look, then drive off shaking their heads.

22. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

You did WHAT?

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

24. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I had a gigantic tube and two to six of us would get in it and roll down a hill. You could brace yourself in by laying on your back and pushing off with your hands and feet.

You didn't do this when you were younger? I painted it orange with an 01 on the side. Called it the Boob Tube... It was intense. I was the only one that could do it without puking.

25. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Lol, me and my friends used to get a big ass box, climb inside of it, and roll eachother down a big hill.

Not as creative as ur carpet scheme but damn was it fun

26. Matt

this explains SOOOOO MUCH!