Circuit City bites it.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Only store left in Georgia will be in Rome.

Circuit City closes 170 stores nationwide.

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Has it already happened?

I need to go get another $30 DVD player that Circuit City sells. Maybe with the going out of business sales, I can get that DVD player for $20.

3. Mad Mallard

don't count on major price slashes.

CC is in trouble mostly because of credit problems, both its own and its customer's. CC is not likely to get any wiggle room from manufacturers like Sony or such, so they need as much cash as they can get.

4. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

there are no going out of business sales, they're just moving stock to the stores that make money in hopes of selling more for black friday. The stores are closing tomorrow (Wednesday the 5th)

5. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

The one here in Gwinnett is closing, lol.

6. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Best Buy FTW

7. Mad Mallard

Actually, as far as I know, they're ALL closed today and will open again tomorro and start clearing stores as they can.

They're basically retreating to any markets that have less than two of the following: Brandsmart, Bestbuy, HHgreg, Super Target, Super Walmart, or even Sears.

and yes, they will be liquidating, according to CC themselves.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

damn...that sucks....granted, they really werent that great anymore, but still.....what about all the Verizon Wireless kiosks in there?!

9. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, I thought the Cumberland store was staying open. I guess not now.

The Rome store is only about 30 mins from where I live.

10. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

ive always liked shopping at circuit city more than i have best buy...not sure if its cuz the black and red are easier on the eyes or what..lol...Hopefully they will pull through this struggle and bounce back...

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Fry's FTW! Did I mention I work there now?

12. Eco Auto Clean

Fry's is pretty sweet.. Especially their CD Books lol

13. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Mallard is right, an "Inventory Reduction Firm" is in all the Atlanta area CC's today, probably marking everything to stupid high prices to get the suckers to buy first. Then they will ship out anything worth anything to their other stores, then, in about a month, there will be some decent sales on really specific items, and you will have to check the store every day or happen to be there at just the right time, ala CompUSA when it went tits up...

14. Deke

Deke Active Member

Bummer. While I usually preferred Best Buy, Circuit City always had great deals on DVDs.

15. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

Joe got laid off. :( Perimeter has liquidators in there until Dec 31st. They are starting with 20% off most stuff.

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

according to our insiders at best buy, circuit city is closing 150 stores nationwide and only their Macon, Albany and savannah stores will remain opened in Georgia. All Atlanta, dallas and Philly area stores are closed. Those 150 stores will remain open until december 31st. But buyer beware!!! Anything you buy at a liquidating circuit city will not be covered by any warranties or extended service plans other than manufacturers warranties. Also everything will be sold AS IS! meaning no returns or exchanges at ANY circuit city even those staying open.

That's what best buy knows anyways

17. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

This would be 20% off the regular CC price? That would be surprising. I imagine its 20% of the new "liquidating" pricing, which is probably about 20% more than the regular CC pricing, in otherwords, no sale at all. Hope I am proven wrong! Sorry to hear about the job. There is a brand new BB opening in Snellville (loganville, really) in the next few weeks....

18. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear that Joe. :(

according to CC website, the only stores in GA are Rome and Columbus. that's as of right now. This could change in the very near future though....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  19. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

20. Mad Mallard

update, %20 off 12 volt.

Scuttlebutt is they're going to slash every week.

21. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

It is really sad to see this happen. I like Circuit City a lot.

Mark

22. 20 % off at one by my work.Near Galleria.They were pretty busy.I have not bought a lot from them but I always believe that competition is good for the consumer.

23. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

so did they officially close today?

24. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I believe they will be liquidating inventory thru the rest of the year, and then closing down stores after. The commercial I saw last night did not mention anything about closings, just sales thru the end of the year. Circuit City is picking the wrong time to start closing stores with the Xmas shopping season just around the corner. They would be better off to suck it up, pay 1 more month rent at all the locations, hope for a decent Xmas season sales wise and then go on from there.

25. Which one you work at? Im always over at the one in Alpharetta.

26. Brian

Brian Active Member

Doh! Just bought a new TV and stereo system from CC about 1 month ago. Hopefully nothing goes wrong where I would need to drive 3+ hours to get to the nearest one.

27. longfury

longfury Active Member

Rome isn't that far. Its about 1.5 hours from Marietta.

28. Jake

Jake Active Member

something else i forgot to mention. don't be an idiot and try to get Best Buy to price match Circuit City. Bottom line is we won't do it unless its reasonable. But generally our policy is never to price match ANY company liquidating inventory

29. Mad Mallard

Looks like now its bankruptcy.

30. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Too bad best buy sucks...

No offense to those that work there of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I would think this will happen to most electronics stores... I allready get everything online, much easier, cost efficient, and it comes right to your door. The only thing the chains had on that is warranty work, which I too bought a CC tv recently, hope it doesn't crap out!

32. Eco Auto Clean

part of letter from CEO..

"It is important for you to understand that this announcement does not mean that Circuit City is going out of business. Our 566 U.S. stores are operating normally, and we look forward to continuing to take
    care of your consumer electronics shopping needs."

The Rest Here

I hope they pull through, still not sure why..but I just liked their stores better than best buy...oh not that I have the money to buy from either right now..lol

33. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

Has anyone gone to any of the CC's now that are going out of business...any good deals?? especially on ps3 stuff and home audio recievers.

34. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My boss said the other day, the store by him in Midtown had everything 20% off. I looked online, and the 1 item I want, they raised the price from $39.99 to $59.99, so even with the 20%, it is still not worth it.