Sig Sauer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blindfold, Nov 25, 2008.

1. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

About 2 years ago I went up to Athens to visit few friends and headed for their gun range since they have a large collection of everything from tiny .22 P40s to AR15s for rent, all you need is to shell out money. I never tried Sigs but they carry a pretty good repution with their hefty price tag. Being the curious noob that I wasI shot a Sig 226, it was decent but the thing jams and misfires like no other. I was pretty new to guns but when a gun misfires it scares me quite a bit since I don't know what could happen, thank goodness for more experienced friends are present. So that was my first Sig encounter, can't say it was the perfect first impression.

Fast forward today, I thought I would give Sig one more try. P229 9mm is a gorgeous pistol. It was rented at Wild West Traders and I can tell the gun is well worn with no paint left on the barrel, regardless the guy tells me they just cleaned it too. Bought 50 round and the stupid thing misfires 6 times, I was shooting single action and every time the hammer would not strike all the way, seems to be stuck in the same position every time. Later they checked the firing pin and everything seems fine. I intended to pick up a 229 but now it seems both sigs I shot would either jam or misfire.

I do realize range guns are beat to hell and hardly cleaned but damn the same rugers and glocks I shot had no problems. On the up side, the gun is dead accurate from 20 feet to 30 feet to 35 feet or even at 45 feet in my friend's hands, everything under a 4.5-5inch circle, bascially the black part only on the G targets. It has quite a bit of more recoil than its equal in glock and ruger shooting the exact same ammo but man is it accurate. For some reason it was also very loud compared to every other pistol in the range or to anything I've ever shot.

In the end, if anyone has any decent experience with Sig Sauer, please share. The misfires really takes the confidence in the gun and also doesn't help me to pull the trigger on the purchase (pun in tended).

also any other nice ranges of recommendation would be appreciated for north atlanta area.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Let me know when you want to go shoot, I've got quite a few guns you can try. I highly recommend the Springfield XD series if its going to be a carry gun.

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Let me know when you want to go again...I will bring my H&K:)

Also....range guns (even if just cleaned) are generally not the best judge...

What all guns do you have slowwrx? PM if you want

4. slowwrx

Lots of 1911s, H&K USP 9mm, Springfield XD9, Smith and Wesson Airlite 44mag, a couple of other revolvers, some 22s and a bunch of other misc stuff.

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

cough...Glock. Seriously, Bullseye Marksman off exit 13(400) is where I am a member. Great range and guys...they purposely do not clean their rental Glocks; after more than 10,000 rounds, they still won't misfire. I am always ready to go.

6. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I have a Sig P229, I bought it new clean it every time and I love the gun. I choose between a H&K and Sig, and the Sig just feels more solid to me. Its a .40 cal, if you want to shoot it sometime just give me a holla.

7. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

thanks everyone for their offer, we might need to organize something so everyone can bring something from their arsenal

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I would definitely be up for that

9. slowwrx

I hate Glocks, they don't fit my hand. Thats why I got the springfield.

I also hate my H&K, if you like it maybe we can work something out.

10. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  11. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've got a little snub-nose .38 that I keep at my apartment that I've never shot (I've shot many guns, just never this one. It has been shot by my dad though). I wouldn't mind putting some rounds through it.

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

which 1911s specifically? I'm casually looking, but there's a load of options. leaning towards a factory model or a used Kimber

13. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I have shot some sig's and they always performed pretty well for me.

When you say misfire, do you mean you pulled the trigger, the hammer comes down but nothing happens?

I've had a few semi-auto's stove pipe on me, where the casing that is being ejected gets caught in the slide but I have never had a bullet misfire.

A lot of semi-autos are sensitive to ammo type. I have always heard and recommended that before anyone carries a semi-auto for protection that they fire at least 200 rounds of the ammo they want to keep loaded in it to make sure the gun operates correctly.

14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

How can they not fit in your hand? My little hands handle the Glock 22 w/ a Houge grip, quite well.

15. Deke

Deke Active Member

Maybe they're too small not too big :confused:

16. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

My best friend has an old Armory P226 from Germany and I have not seen that thing misfire over the couple hundred rounds I have shot through it. I have a Sig rifle myself and I am nothing short of impressed with the craftsmanship and engineering behind it. My next handgun will be a Sig (I have a Beretta at the moment).

I have shot an Springfield XD and I didn't like it - but that is more for personal tastes than anything wrong with the gun.

17. slowwrx

I've got a colt in 45 that I built with a bunch of Wilson stuff

A Rock River in .38 Super...I bought to really learn how to gunsmith on

A Sig GSR 1911 in 45...probably the nicest gun I have ever shot.

and a couple of other various 1911s

18. slowwrx

Its not really a size thing its more the angle of the handle.

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

so, any concrete recommendations? It's hard finding one to shoot before buying

20. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

:drool:

So you taught yourself gunsmithing? Did you take a class, get a book, or just do trial and error? I have been thinking about learning this skill myself...

21. slowwrx

You are welcome to shoot all of mine, I really really like my Sig

22. slowwrx

I read a book and I frequent a few websites.

23. '05limited

'05limited Member

Grip angle is a big difference between 1911's vs Glock, glock is more rakish, also glocks have finger grooves in the grip that may or may not fit your hand - guns are just something that you have to shoot to see if you like how they fit in your hand/ how they shoot for you... you can generally get good with any weapon with practice - but certain people shoot certain guns well.

I'd be down for a range day if anyone wants to set a date - I'll bring my glock, HK, sig, and s&w for you to try.

To the OP:

Another big consideration for gun purchases is what you'll be using it for... is this gun for carry, plinking at the range, a nightstand gun, etc? What in particular has attracted you to the sig?