Opinions on a semi-luxuary SUV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsvwrx, Dec 2, 2008.

1. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

something not too big fx-35 ish

My mom wants a new car, its gotta be under 30k ... USED preferred under 30k miles.

Any opinions on what I should be looking at?

Here is what we got.:

[​IMG]

2008, 1700 miles.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. WJM

WJM Banned

Used 06~07 Tribeca.

They have BRAND NEW 5 passenger 'base' 08 Tribeca for under $25,000 now.

3. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Acura MDX is my pick for your MOM

4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

We love our CX-7 and in grand touring trim it definitely qualifies as semi luxury....

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Any thoughts on the RDX, or the FX45/35?

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Im sure you could get a used Lexus RX300/330 for under 30k, my step mom has had 3 since they've been out and loves them...

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Nice! yes, looking in to that one too.

8. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

easy if she is looking for used, Touareg or Range Rover no question. Touareg is a great suv my buddy has one.

9. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I drove an FX35, and while nice, it seemed too much like a car to me (and rode about like my WRX). Although it doesn't fit the not too bigish requirement, my brother just picked up a brand new Yukon for 27k otd

10. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

2nd on Touareg if used

Toyota 4Runner if new, not sure about price

11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

<obligatory your mom joke>

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The RDX is a very nice small SUV. Plus it is turbocharged which makes it even more fun:) The CX-7 is also super nice but the resell value on all Mazda's are in the shitter. If this is a car she is going to keep for a few years and then sell, get an Acura, Lexus, Infiniti. If this is something she is going to keep till it blows, get the above with the Mazda and Subaru thrown in. I would stay away from the VW or Range Rovers. Although nice at first, they tend to stay in the shop longer than you drive them:) Especially after a few years old.

13. BelvnAWD

What are you basing the Mazda resale values off of? Mazda has a reputation for reliability and KBB seems to think Mazdas hold their value well vs other makes.That being said, the obligatory statement about looking at a car as an investment probably needs to go here (i.e never a good idea....)

The Mazda is also Turbo'd by the way...

14. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah my roomates pos 2002 B4000 truck with 100,000 miles is still KBB'd at 7200 bucks!?

Mazdas (even the rebadged fords) hold their values fairly well

16. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Touareg for sure, just avoid the 2004 models. I've driven several of them and they feel so solid and luxury. They are heavy though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  17. ohmypearls

ohmypearls Banned

we've got an 07' Black tribeca sittin on the used lot right now..

18. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Wasn't trying to offend anyone by that statement. I love the CX-7 and think the DI Turbo motor is awesome. I said it because of the frustration I have heard from RX-8 owners (longfury) and from the MPV we have in our driveway. The resell value on both of those cars are horrible. I tried to trade in my MPV for a CX-7 and they were only going to give me $12,000 for it two years after we bought it. I have never looked at a car as an investment but would never buy another car that you will be upside down on after years even with 20-30% down.

19. BelvnAWD

Ah...not offended, just wondering since I see still see protege's, miata's, Mazda 3 and 6's all commanding premiums. I think you stated it though. The RX8 is a sporty car with ass gas mileage, while not providing enough of the "sport" part of the equation. Honestly not sure what the issue is with the MPV though...

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Going to look at cars this weekend! Wish me luck. Acura first, Infiniti second, Buick third!

21. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Don't forget the VW

22. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

^^^2nd that get the v10 diesel, its a monster!!

23. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Toureg tdi thirded

24. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I've driven a V10. It will through you back so hard you'll hurt you neck

25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Bump for new car in the first post :)