Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deke, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

So I ended up getting some cash from a couple of relatives this holiday, and I've been considering buying a blu-ray player. It bothers me every time I buy a DVD these days because I know there is something better out there :)

So anyways, I was wondering if any of you had much experience on the subject. I've been doing some research online, and they are a bit more expensive than I had assumed. Everything (with good reviews at least) seems to be $225 or more. I'm actually even considering a PS3 because I can get one for only 50-100 dollars more than most of the players I'm finding. However, I really don't want or need another gaming system. It would be almost exclusively for movie watching.

So yeah, any advice/opinions on the matter? (good units, PS3 vs. Stand-alone, good deals)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

PS3, its actually one of the best Blu-ray players. Google it :)

Plus you can use it for Streaming HD contents from your computers.

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

Well I had read that, but every source I found was a year or so old.

Edit: The main advantage I have seen about the PS3 is that it's "future proof." I guess it is a lot easier to update than other players.

It just seems ashame to buy a system that offers so much (and is kind of big), and to only use it to watch movies.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah, weirdly. its still WAY up there. If i were looking for a blu ray player; it would be the ps3.

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

hmm, guess I'll put some more serious thought into the PS3. Thanks for the input :)

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

:0 il get more info for you when i am not drunk

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

PS3 all the way. a few firmwares ago they added massive support for xvid and other codecs. it does almost everything xbmc would do on the xbox, except it has the horsepower to play any HD rips.

8. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

PS3 Media Server FTMFW.

Anybody know how to stream HD using the Media Servers? I finally got the Media Server up and running, so now I can stream everything from my PC.

9. Biggis

Biggis Member

the ps3 is the way to go.

There is not much to do up here in the mountains so we watch A LOT of movies and game it up. The ps3 is a fantastic machine. It is regularly abused by 4 hooligans and hasn't missed a beat.

Just drop the money on it, save up for an HD projector and get you a dark basement room. :eek3:

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

TVersity should do it. shouldn't need to transcode unless shit is in MKV containers

11. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah, i use TVersity also. It works great for xbox360 too.

12. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

This is what I bought instead of a Blue Ray, I personally feel the age of the disc is coming to an end. http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

My roommate setup a 4 terabyte server for it, and I plan on getting a blue ray drive for my pc; then I am going to rent blue rays from netflix to rip, but if your conscience doesn't bother you pirate bay has a great selection of High Def shows and movies.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

This is my plan with the PS3 and the Media Server. I have a Terrabyte and a half of storage on my PC. I have over 10,000 media files, be they mp3s, movies or TV shows. Now all of it is easily accessible thru the PS3. Once I figure out how to play a Blu-Ray stored on my PC thru the PS3, I will be good to go.

14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

TVersity is prob. gonna be your best bet.

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'd say BD drive for a HTPC...

16. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, after a little more reading and such, going the media server route seems a little more practical. I know very little about it though. I currently have a XBox 360 and a 42" 1080p flatscreen and I just want to get the most out of my movie watching experience :)

Ar there any options using the Xbox as a media server? It seems like it would be a lot easier (and cheaper) just to buy a bigass external hardrive over other options. Is it possible to just load HD movies to an external, plug it in to the 360, and then enjoy HD movie bliss? Is there any program like Itunes where I can actually buy and download HD movies? (I'm not completely adverse to pirating, I just dont like the idea of that being my primary source of HD).

Hmm, I'm starting to think I'm going to hold off on this a little longer before I understand my options better.

17. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

it has been a while since I have messed with it...Nicad would be best for answers. The cheapest route might be to get a used XBOX(original) and flash it for XBOX Media Center(XBMC).

18. Deke

Deke Active Member

Well I actually do have one of those lying around and modded already (not with xbmc though, i think). The disc drive is pretty much shot on it though. Although I imagine that isn't that big of a deal if I'm using it as a media center.

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Use Tversity with xbox360. the end.

20. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Check out the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player. Its gathering alot of positive reviews on AVSForum and WD actually seems to be actively listening to consumer concerns desires. For $99, it seems like a steal, even if you have to buy a hard drive also....

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

It doesn't have a Ethernet conn as far as i know Belvn

22. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Wasn't the OP just looking for a way to play all his media?

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I thought he wanted to stream ... DOH !

24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

research is your friend here. all depends on how fancy you want to go. just remember, with a HTPC you'll need to have it close to the display device (DVI -> HDMI), wait on it to startup, and make sure it has enough ass behind it to decode HD content. most people want these small as well. you will get the most versatility out of it.

woldn't recommend big hard drives externally for most consoles. the consoles are getting a lot better in decoding stuff, but they don't decode everything and all it takes is one fucked up rip to piss you off.

best option IMO is to use your current computer as a media server. it can be kept out of the way, unobtrusive, large, lots of space, and most people keep them on all the time. it will decode anything you want and just shoot it over your network. software is free, and hard drives are cheap. I don't really like a lot of dedicated devices for this (popcorn, etc) because they aren't as future proof.

as far as HD movies. pirating is the only choice. you can thank studios for this, and it's one of the reasons why we have HDMI and HDCP. it's inconvenient as fuck (try using an HDMI matrix switcher and you'll see why) which is why a lot of people pirate things in the first place

if you have any more questions let me know. I'm building a 12TB rack mount media server for my theater. avsforum also has a HTPC section, av distribution, etc

25. Deke

Deke Active Member

Another somewhat related question, does my 360 upconvert standard DVDs?

26. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I believe it does...

27. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Depends. It does if you have HDMI if you use component only does 480p( its a regulation)

28. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, I have an xbox elite, so I have the HDMI cable somewhere...just have to find it.

I know when using component the xbox will only display at most in 1080i. I've read that HDMI needs t be used to get it to 1080p. I just wasn't sure if that also applied to DVD viewing.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  29. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Well, with DVDs its 480p ONLY with component. ( its a regulation you cant up convert` more than that unless you get a diff connector)

30. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

this is false. component will do 1080p just fine, but you start getting into issues with HDCP and media protection flags/bits. most (if not all) source devices will not output 1080p over anything but HDMI/DVI/VGA

PS3 and Xbox will only upconvert over HDMI, and most people agree that the PS3 does the best job at upscaling

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Looking up the regulation now ( that and its how its working on my TV)

32. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sorry let me rephrase, component can physically carry a 1080p signal, however most any source device will not allow this sort of upconversion for protected content to take place over it. some older model and off brand players will do it. this is for DVDs only, games are another matter

34. Deke

Deke Active Member

In summary, I definitely need to find that hdmi cable :)

35. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

if you can't, get them from monoprice. paying $$$$ for HDMI cables is dumber than dumb, unless you're going long distances

36. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, ive seen a 3 pack for 6 bucks on bensbargains. Keep it cheap!

37. Trey

Trey Active Member

I picked up two profile 2.0 Bluray players in Nov for $150 each. One was the highly acclaimed Panasonic BDP-35 and the other one is the Samsung BDP-1500. There are deals out there...you just need to look.

http://forums.slickdeals.net is a good place.