TopSpeed or Batlground?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by WTFJayJay, Jan 1, 2009.

1. WTFJayJay

WTFJayJay Member

Just wanted to hear input from WRX owners alone and not just from IA..

Havent even looked into Topspeed yet, but ive herd good things about them. I had my turbo lancer tuned and clutch installed at batlground and had a good expericane with them. Dan and everyones cool and I was over all happy with the out come of my car. Well... now its totalled and gone and I just got an '04 WRX. After I do most of the basic bolt ons Im goin to need a good tune.

Soooo TopSpeed or Batlground? DONT need any flaming on either shop, just basic input from WRX owners.

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Both are good. I think you will be happy with the outcome of either shop.

3. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have never done business with either shop, but I would have Scott Segeil tune my subaru from all I have heard.

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

TopSpeed has always been good to me and Scott/Doug are awesome tuners.

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Scott is the best Suby tuner around. Why bother taking it anywhere else?

6. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

That's my thought too. Either would be fine... They both do good work.

7. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

scott ftw...

8. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

^^^ hahaha

10. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

TopSpeed.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Another vote for Topspeed.

12. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Been to both...TopSpeed.

13. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

Been to both. TopSpeed FTW!

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

Doug tuned my 04 WRX to perfection. If I ever mod again my car will be going to Topspeed.

Nothing against Batlground though. I have heard great stuff about them, but for Subarus I would go to Topspeed no matter what.

15. WTFJayJay

WTFJayJay Member

alright well top speed it is! thanks for the input guys.

oh and just a side note... who stops for squirrel in the road?........ i just totaled my old s15 beater cuz some 16 year old c*nt in her brand new lexus suv decided to slam her breaks on for a squirrel.. and her suv is fine... just some scratches on the spare tire cover...

anyyywayyyyy...

how much does topspeed typically run for a basic tune??

16. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I want to say about $120/hr? I have my invoice some where around here on the floor making its way to my filing cabinet. I had Scott tune my car and don't regret it one bit! Top Speed has done all my after market work on my car. Just make sure, in my experience at least, that you are not pressed for time. I can say nothing but great things about SS! I will be back to see them in beginning of spring or so =)

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

IIRC, TopSpeed (or at least SS) built the car for its previous owner :)

And for those that are curious, TopSpeed is community sponsor once again!

18. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Glad to know I missed out on what happened with all that and glad to see they are back!

19. gfred024

gfred024 Member

20. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

Scott and Doug have both tunned my car. i've never been to BG

21. Tracy

Tracy Member

Batlground has tuned the highest HP Subarus in GA (record breakers). I'm a little biased though. Wait, how can you be biased about a fact :D

P.S. They are a sponsor, too.

22. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Unfortunately, if we are talking about community sponsors -- TopSpeed is the only current speed shop. If you think this is a mistake, feel free to contact me.

23. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I don't mean to doubt you at all, but we've had a 615whp pull on a Subaru, have y'all had one higher? I just didn't know if you had?

Siegel

24. Jake

Jake Active Member

Scott and doug tuned my old wrx but I wouldn't hesitate to use dan at batlground either.

25. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

High HP doesnt always equal a safe and reliable tune. Not doubting Dan's abilities or anything...just saying.

26. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

The gauntlet has been thrown down. :ddirty:

27. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I'm not throwing a gauntlet. She said they had tuned the highest, and they might have and I don't know about it. I'm just wondering if they had one over 600whp, if so, I'd love to know what was on it.

Siegel

28. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Tracy is mistaken, to the best of my knowledge my Subaru is the highest hp Subaru that Dan has tuned at 550whp.

Both shops are more than capable, I've had cars tuned by Dan as well as Scott and have been happy with both. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to let either one of them tune my car.

29. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

So who has the highest torque at the lowest RPM ?????

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You have a WRX right? All that needs to be said is that Topspeed has tuned the world record holding Stock engine, stock tranny WRX which to my knowledge is still held today.

Horsepower numbers don't mean a thing......world proven results do.

Topspeed FTW.

31. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Has it ever been repeated with the same results? Not saying they did not do a good job tuning your car, just that we all know your car has some kind of jdm magic or something....forged pistons mistakenly put in there from the factory or SOMETHING, lol.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  32. slowwrx

The whole record thing is a moot point, he broke my record by .06 I think. Dan tuned my car and I set that record on the second pass it ever made, that was also the last pass it made on a 18G Setup. (I'm not trying to take anything away from Coolrexs record I'm just saying they can both accomplish the same thing.)

The bottom line is they both do a great job go to who ever you are comfortable with.

Edit, They both have two totally different styles of tuning, if you are looking for someone to tell you everything they are doing...Dan is not your guy. Scott will take a lot more time with you and explain things but you can't expect him to teach you how to tune a car.

33. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Are you saying that Coolrex "mistakenly" got a stock subaru wrx with a forged block...

Coolrex has run an incredible time, on a BONE STOCK block and transmission.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yes it's been repeated. My buddies car with a Evo316g with methanol and a Ebay TMIC hangs with my car until 5K rpms. I pull him a car and that's because my FMIC makes more power up top. He has an 02 so he doesn't want to bust the tranny. I bet with his permission and my driving he will net 11.7's too.

To prove a point driving skill has everything to do with it. There was a 20g STi at the strip one time that was running 12.4's all day. Guy was getting mad. Talked him into letting me drive it....bam 11.9 on the one pass I made. It had better times in it if I had time to learn the launch on his car.

35. WJM

WJM Banned

probably any given 06+ WRX, 04+ Forester XT, 04+ Baja Turbo with the stock turbo and supporting mods thats been properly tuned.

36. crashtke

It was a joke man, a JOKE, lol.

His times blow away just about anyone with the same set up, no matter who tuned it, lol. I guess Slowwrx came pretty darn close! Driving can often times make a huge difference! I know I could not jump in his car and produce the same times. I am just not practiced on drag racing.

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm sure you were joking but quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of everyone claiming my car is a freak with 'special' parts.

That is exactly why when I go bigger I'm just simply keeping the results to myself and only letting Scott know the results. Matter of fact my times have been beaten by myself since Scott's last tune and I even have the slips and a vid but again thanks to people that make comments like yours I'm not posting them up to have them ridiculed. Slowwrx is pretty much the only person (other than those that have seen me do this in person) that 100% without a doubt belived me only because he was so darn close himself.

I'm done trying to prove anything to other people....I could care less....I'm out to only put a smile on 'MY' face and frankly that is what's happening!

38. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

woah, this went bitter fast. I was always pretty envious reading threads on you and your car and how it has uberbionic parts, I never took any of it as negative or doubtful on your part. I'm not sure how other people feel, but I like reading other people's journals and accomplishments...I vote keep em' coming.

No ridicule here, wish I could strip-drive like many other people can. Hell, I still haven't mastered the AWD slip-launch...but I'm damn good at bogging off the start :D

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well to be honest I haven't met many of you guys so there. I guess you can thank Nasioc for how I feel but enough is enough. Maybe one day I'll feel like posting more. I've come to realize I need to swallow my pride and learn that it's just a car. Family and other things are way more important but as long as I can I will still drive :ddirty: I just don't have to brag about it.....I was darn proud of my car but again I see it now as a very fast machine and just that.....nothing 'special'.

I guess you can say that getting married has resulted in me maturing.:eek:

40. crashtke

WOW! This is one reason why I just hate forums some times. People get defensive about nothing. I wrote the above post with a smile on my face. Your times are not average for your everyday 18g 2.0 wrx, even one tuned by SS or Dan. You (and Matt for that matter) obviously know how to launch your cars and drive them at the strip. Simmer down a little bit and realize when people are just joking around. It is not personal..it's a joke, haha. And I did not mean to imply that you were lying or that your car was other than stock block and stock tranny when you broke the record. IT WAS A JOKE, lmao.

I am just envious I can't drive like you and Matt at the strip. I am just inconsistent in my launches. But then again, I am also trying REAL hard not to break something in my tranny. After reading all the horror stories about the WRX tranny, it just has me paranoid.

Edit: Btw there was no ridicule implied or intended in any of my posts in this thread.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  41. WJM

WJM Banned

All yallz stuff....is....something3d.

42. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

I don't believe you...:keke:

43. WJM

WJM Banned

I dont belive you either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!srtRAWR!!one!

44. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

:rofl::rofl:

45. Weapon

I own a Pentium 2 350 Built, Bored and Blueprinted OCed to a P78 5.55 GHz, 900 gigs of RAM, 38 inch diamond-studded monitor, Logitech cordless mouse overclocked to receive transmissions from 80 feet away, Abit motherboard with all the fixens, and a custom case I built out of titanium and iron ore

46. WJM

WJM Banned

DUDE! you cant OC a pent. Only AMD K6-2!

47. Weapon

Thats what I meant

48. slowwrx

Launching isn't hard, maybe we should have a clinic....who wants to break their tranny first...lol

49. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I think I've gotten my launch down. I dont dare let someone else do it but My tranny seems to be holding up pretty good. Although I have never been to the drag strip and probably nowhere near Matt's or Delette(sp? sorry), but it doesn't bog down on me.

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm sorry for blowing up yesterday. There were 6 threads....yes 6 threads yesterday on Nasioc that got bumped and people started blah blah blah blah blah blah......it pushed me over the edge.

I didn't mean to slam anyone if I did. I just got pushed a little too far :(