Need a good subaru repair shop for headgasket or used engine install

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by speed_ga, Jan 8, 2009.

1. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

Ok I own a subaru legacy 1999 SUS model. I'm pretty sure I have a head gasket failure and it's a 2.5liter....which means that my engine has to be taken out of the engine bay to replace the head gasket. Basically I have about 135,000 miles on the car.

I am debating whether to put a different engine in that's been rebuilt or just get my head gaskets replaced.

For head gasket replacement....I have heard anywhere from 1000.00 to 2200.00 dollar for the repair.

I just got laid off and don't have too much money...so i'm looking for the cheapest fix for this problem.

If I do get a different engine put in...it would definatly be a 2.2 because I heard they are better in terms of reliability.

Anyways can anyone refer me to a reasonable priced repair center around atlanta that could either drop a engine in or replace my head gaskets for a reasonable price.

And how much do you think it would cost me to drop a engine in my car?

I'm just going through a rough time right now with my car problem and being laid off from my job at Barnes Distribution.

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this long post and thanks to anyone that can provide me with some helpful advice.

Sincerely,
    Doug P.

2. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

if you got an engine im sure someone on hear would be able to help you out with install... as for the times i feel your pain!

3. WJM

WJM Banned

Sent you a PM.

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

Surely someone here can do it or atleast help out. I sent you a pm as well.

5. undrgrndrdr15

we are all good people... welcome to the site btw...

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

INDEED too bad it is under these circumstances.

7. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

yeah I really appreciate the help guys. I can't believe our warehouse got shut down like that today. We were accident free for a year and half...and on top of that...our productivity rates were the highest out of all the other Barnes Distribution warehouses. But we are the smallest warehouse out of the bunch and therefore were the cheapest...to shut down and lay off all the employees.

I'm just trying to finish school and move on. This economy is so bad. I definatley feel for anyone else who was laid off because it's a life-changing feeling that I will not want to experieance again....nor won't forget.

8. undrgrndrdr15

best of luck to you and keep us up to date on the subie...

9. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

thanks and I will definatley keep everyone up to date.

10. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

pm sent from me.

11. FACE

FACE Active Member

welcome and let us know if we can help!

:wavey:

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I'll give you a call later this morning.

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

Subaru of roswell saves the day again! :keke:

14. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

ok thanks

15. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

ok here is a update. I am probley going to go ahead and swap ricks 2.2 into my subaru legacy that currently has a 2.5. I went on ultimatesubaru.org and "grossgary" said this about the swap:
    With that said my cheapest solution to my problem would be the swap. I guess now I would just need to find a EJ22 exhaust manifold and the swap should go smoothly.

I have access to a trailer so I can tow the subaru up to north atlanta where most of yall live so that it will be easier for people to come out and help with the swap. I talked to rick and his location wouldn't be available. So if anyone has some suggestions...that would be great.

16. undrgrndrdr15

if im around i can be a body to help but i have no place, no worries someone will chime in

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Is your car a manual or automatic?

18. WJM

WJM Banned

grossgary's a good guy. I've met him and exchanged subaru parts before.

19. techlord

techlord Active Member

You can have the exh. manifold from the engine as well its gonna cost you tho...like an extra 50 cents. ;)
    Engine should be out Sunday.

20. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

my car is a automatic. And techlord...I have that 50 cents up and ready for ya:)

21. techlord

techlord Active Member

auto :eek4: new territory for me. I guess it is all the same, guess we will find out soon enough.

22. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Auto isn't any harder. I was just curious.

23. WJM

WJM Banned

Its easy. Just 4 more bolts to take out and one thing to make sure stays in the transmission during removal and install.

24. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

sounds good. Now if we can only find a good location:)

25. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

just wanted to add that all the good hospitality from this board is just amazing. Yesterday I felt like the world was going to end. I am just so glad that people are willing to help me through this difficult time. Even though I have never met any of you in person yet. This means the world to me. Having transportation I feel will help me in finding another job and finishing my schooling. I love this car and wouldn't want anything else. Thanks everyone so much and I look forward to meeting everyone that has been so gracious enough to put there own time fourth and help me figure the best possible solution to this problem of mine.

26. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

just doing our jobs :wiggle:

27. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

We pulled the engine form Rick's car today and will be doing the swap at my place next week. Anyone that wants to help is welcome to swing by and lend a hand. I have not decided yet on which day. That will depend on which day more people can show up.

28. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I'll be there. :wavey:

29. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Gotta love these boards. I will try and stop by and turn some wrenches. Rick, be sure to send me a pm as I am not a member anymore and can't read you top secret update thread. I know I promised I would help!

30. FACE

FACE Active Member

Sorry I did not make it over this AM fellas...I should be able to come by next weekend though :naughty:

31. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah I wanted to be there bad guys but didn't get out of work till after 4pm. I will make sure I can be there for the swap guys.

32. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Mike, let us know what day you are putting the motor in. I will try to come by and lend a hand if I can.

33. techlord

techlord Active Member

Bumping this up.
    Sunday is best for me, although I can do Saturday as well but will have to be gone by 1pm.

Lets have a good turnout to help Speed_ga get back on the road.

Anyone have a truck and can swing by to transport the 2.2 from my house to Mike's?

34. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

We have a "community" truck at work...I'll see if anyone is using it this weekend.
    Rick, when would you want to move it?

35. undrgrndrdr15

someone gives me directions and a time i should be able to make it out

36. techlord

techlord Active Member

well since I am just a few miles from Mike's we can do it the day of the install once that has been decided.

37. undrgrndrdr15

that works... or just an address and i can mapquest it... which day we shooting for

38. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Saturday will be best for me. It leaves an extra day should things not work as planned. I would like to start around 9. If things go perfect we should be done by 1:00. It is going to be cold as hell so we are going to need another kerosene heater for the garage if anyone has one.

Doug,

If you could drain the oil and coolant from the car before you bring it here that would be great. I just dropped of 20 (yes 20) gallons of oil at a local Advance on Sunday.

39. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

I will get on that tomorrow so that's not a problem at all. Saturday is great! Rick already told me to get new oil, a oil filter, and new coolant...so I will bring that with me saturday. This is really going to be new for me and I can't wait to see how the swap works.

Just to recap, we are gonna use the exhaust manifold from ricks 2.2 and we have to use my flexplate from my 2.5

If there is anything else I would need to bring let me know.

40. undrgrndrdr15

i dont know anything bout the motor your getting but has it had a tune up done at all... plugs wires... that might be something to think about

41. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Rick, I can drive my wife's yukon and we can use it to bring the motor over to Mike's.
    PM me if you can't find a truck and want me to bring it.

42. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

My address is

4238 Loch Highland Pkwy Roswell Ga 30075.

Please don't drive like an ass-hat in my neighborhood. We already have enough of those that live here.

43. undrgrndrdr15

dont know if the engine would fit in my wagon but that is an option too if need be...

44. techlord

techlord Active Member

That will work, I don't have access to a truck.

45. speed_ga

speed_ga New Member

I can't wait till saturday guys! Can't wait to meet all of you and see how a swap is done.

46. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Sorry guys, I will be in Syracuse, NY this weekend freezing my ass off. Good luck on the swap.

47. undrgrndrdr15

anyone want donuts since it will be early?

48. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

yup... that would be nice.

What time is this thing kicking off??

49. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I would like to get started at 9:00.

If anyone has an extra kerosene heater please bring it. I have one so it should take the chill off but two would make it nice and toasty.

50. Jake

Jake Active Member

I think I'm gonna drop by and give a hand. I will see you guys at 9am. Nothing else going on tomorrow.