New business idea?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by beav, Feb 19, 2009.

1. beav

beav Member

I was in Park City, Utah this past week and saw an unbelievable amount of Subarus - mostly Foresters and Outbacks but quite a few WRXs. In fact, during a 3 mile trek from our condo to a tubing park we counted 28 of them! Literally every 6th or 7th car seems to be a Subaru. Apparently they're quite the item in the higher elevations. I'm sure this is true for Colorado, Wyoming, and other states out west.

Anyway - I thought owning a Subaru dealership, or more realistically, a tuner/repair shop out there might not be a bad idea. Work with cars, play in the snow in the winter, ride mountain bikes in the summer, and slurp on some of the best microbrews in the country year 'round - what more could you ask for! ;-)

2. Galimore

Galimore Member

Yea I was out around Denver, Fort Collins, and Breckenridge in January for a week. Saw tons of Subie's, probably only a dozen WRX's and three STi's. However, I got a good look at the majority of the WRX's and all of them looked to be running bone stock besides one. Not sure why they wouldn't all be mod-junkies like us, maybe they're really into the 'green' stuff and don't want to take cats off their car, heh.

Oh and +1 for snow, mountains, and beer. Great place to live.

3. beav

beav Member

Yeah, out of thousands of Subarus I only saw 2 STis. I hear ya, I didn't notice very many modded rides....Another spoke in the "global warming" wheel I suppose.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

5. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I was in Salt Lake a few weeks ago, and we ventured up to Park City and toured the lakes and ranges around the area. There were TONS of Subarus and Audi's in the area, from sedans to wagons/avants.

The Subaru dealer in Salt Lake had 4 STi's on the lot, lol. I wanted to buy one and drive it back, but i remembered I can't. Cobb owns that area though! Maybe a business that catered to off-roading the AWD cars would work.

The hotel we were in had 4-5 boxer rumbles go through a night. Now I'm in Dallas and all I see are extended cabs, lol.

6. beav

beav Member

Shoot, gotta love some good competition! Seriously, I'm too entrenched in what I do to start anew but I know some people are looking for career ideas these days - as far-fetched as this one may be. I forgot Cobb was out there. I'll have to pay them a visit next time I'm there.

7. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

There are TONS of subies up here in Seattle (including a decent number of WRX/STis). Too bad there is not local site like this... only the NW Chapter of NASIOC. bleh.

8. beav

beav Member

Glad to hear you guys are sporting them up there in one of my favorite cities to visit and home of my favorite band... Ryche-n-roll!

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Dont' forget RallySport is also in SLC.. there are actually alot of suby shops all within 5-8hrs of there.

10. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

We did some research when we were out in Colorado for Christmas vacation. You are on to something with this idea. The problem is that most people are not going to mod their cars out there. They are interested in the all wheel drive system and not making changes to the car. We talked to a bunch of people and thats the idea we got from them.

11. beav

beav Member

That's what I gathered as well...Apparently a good settling place for the big guys like RallySport, Cobb, etc. though. In about 5-10 years, I'm sure the market for Subaru repairs will be in higher demand though. Oh wait, these things last forever, right!?