Custom painted GR tail lights 08 STi

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by FACE, Apr 6, 2009.

1. FACE

FACE Active Member

So while searching for exhaust I noticed these tail lights......Please click Photos for larger picture.
    [​IMG]

I decided I had to have them.

I had No luck when searching for some aftermarket tails but did see several people tinting or painting them... Clicky here if you would like to read more >>> GR Painted tails

The paint choices people went with were; Testors Red; Duplicolor anodized red; and some tried stain glass paint. I think it really depends on what your going for. Some like the more opaque look (IMO how the Testors paint turns out) and some liked the clear red look (IMO like the Duplicolor paint turns out). Some folks like the much darker look I.E.

[​IMG]
    These were done with the Testors. [​IMG]

My choice of paint
    [​IMG]

I started by removing the trim inside the hatch. You want to start by removing the trim at the top of the window, then the pillar trim and last the main cover. These are all pop on/off so be careful not to brake the clips. Next you will need to remove the bulbs and then using an 8MM socket and Phillips Head to remove the screws and nuts holding the lights.

The corner lamps have 2 Screws (with socket heads as well) on the inside and a clip on the outside.
    [​IMG]

The hatch lights have 2 nuts on the outer side and one nut you remove from inside the hatch through a small access hole.
    [​IMG]

After removal I cleaned them with Isopropyl Alcohol and a clean micro fiber towel.

Next I used masking tape to cover the turn signal and reverse lights....then onto painting.

I did NOT sand prior to painting because I was worried that it would make them hazy looking instead of clear. The first 2 coats I did a VERY light mist with just enough passed to cover the light and WAITED 20 min. between the first 2 coats. I then did 3 more coats that were thicker and WAITED 1 hr. between these coats as well as giving them a little heat.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Once they had dried awhile I removed the tape to start the clear coat. [​IMG]

After 4 coats of clear and drying the install began. [​IMG]

Big Thanks to 420 for Helping out and for giving a brutally honest opinion!
    I love how they turned out and can't believe I never thought of this with my 06!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

So hot. This is the way the taillights should have came off the factory lot.

We also painted the third brake light that is mounted to the rear hatch spoiler. We cut the wires and then crimped back together. We couldn't find any plug to undo, and it was only 2 wires, so we did the quick and easy route. It really tied in the look not having that clear light.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. FACE

FACE Active Member

Badge removal and third brake light was takin care of by 420 :bowdown:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wiggle:

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Very nice man!

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

MUCH BETTER! i like that a lot

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Looks 100X better!

7. Trey

Trey Active Member

Ever since day one I've though the testors red was the way to go on the 08's. Very well done!

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

looks good homie!!

9. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

SEXY!!! Way to go..

10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

until I see it up close, awesome job...now thank my useful post.

11. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

before pic added for reference.

[​IMG]

12. pankopp

pankopp Member

much better, it looks great!

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

Thanks Cohen I forgot to add one to the first thread...no need to fix it now! :wiggle:

14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I have seen it. Other than the -_ it does look damn good.

15. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Looks much better. :bigthumb:

16. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

killer! nice work

17. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

what is the -_?

18. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

when you see them in person...you will understand.

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Alex you need to call me for projects like this

20. Dragan

Dragan New Member

I wish Subaru thought of this change... sharp looking and neatly done.

21. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I assume you are referring to the driver's side tail light? :)

Looks cool, glad you found the DIY I was suggesting.

22. FACE

FACE Active Member

Alex I appreciate your advice more than you know! I spent quite awhile reading through and deciding how I wanted to take it on!

The _- that Cohen is referring to is where the corner light and the hatch come together. On the driver side the top lines are slightly off but the bottom is perfect.... the _- .........

I am surprised that he (and I'm calling myself out here) did not notice the other pass. side the top is perfect but the bottom us off ;)

23. integroid

Face, was that you I saw on I75N today around 4:30?

24. FACE

FACE Active Member

yes sir! how could you tell? the tail lights?

:wavey:

25. integroid

LOL...yeah, the tail lights and the half ghey wave you gave me:)

26. ohmypearls

ohmypearls Banned

thank god; it looks so much better dude nice job!

27. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  28. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it came clear....5 years too late. no one wants that shit anymore.

29. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am too lame, lazy and cowardly to do this to my car. I would love to have red tails. You have no idea how bad clear tails look on a silver car.

30. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

you just don't realize how bad they look on these until you see pictures of them with red tails.

and no i'd definately not want clear lol. i've had more than a few cars, admired many cars, and never thought to myself "that would look sweet with clear taillights"

31. longfury

longfury Active Member

I was hoping Subaru would give us factory red tails in the 2011 refresh. They didn't.