Changing rear diff fluid

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by babygaines, Apr 9, 2009.

1. babygaines

babygaines New Member

anyone done this that feels like imparting wisdom? ive never changed diff fluid on any car... so any insight would be much appreciated. also what fluid do you recommend for the diff? for the trans as well? anything i can buy locally? i want to do it this weekend so i dont have time to order anything offline.

thanks m

2. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

The only fluid to use in a Subaru transmission is Subaru Extra-S. For your rear diff it depends on what car you have. If you have an STI, you need the Subaru LSD specific gear oil. If you have a WRX, you can use Extra-S for that as well.

We are currently stocking Extra-S, and you can check out the thread here:http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23878

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

w00t for 10th st;)

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

10th St JDM can also get pretty much any part you need;)

5. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

it is a bitch to get the diff fluid in from the bottle. They sell pumps but you might be able to do it if you are careful. Just have some kitty litter on hand, (ask me how I know)

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

make sure you can loosen both bolts (top and bottom) before you start draining ;)

7. I have actually been looking for the pumps, anyone have one or know where to get them? how much do they cost?

8. wrxin8or

9. Maybe i got a cheap one, but I bought a suction gun from Advance Auto Parts, and it wont hold a seal. Tried it even with just water, thinking the oil was to thick, with no luck. Ill order one of those, see how it works.

10. wrxin8or

One of the guys here at 10th st jdm has one...worked out great for him on his S2000 rear diff

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Loosen the top bolt first before the bottom one. If you can't get the top open then no point going further because the bottom will obviously drain your fluid.

What do you have? WRX or STi?

If STi Subaru Extra S or Motul Gear 300 in the tranny. Subaru LSD rear diff fluid ONLY and NOTHING else.

If WRX Subaru Extra S or the famous Uncle Scotty's cocktail (search that on Nasioc). Any good 75/90 fluid including the Extra S for the rear diff of the WRX.

12. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

How do you know?

13. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

:rofl:

The McMaster pump works reasonably well.

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I had to clean up a big puddle of synthetic gear oil from my garage floor and in my hair!

15. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

lol

I used an empty bottle of Lucas fluid to "pump" the LSD fluid into the rear diff. It was a bitch and required some Spartan strength but the diff got full and the bottle looked more like a ball when I as done with it.

16. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

17. babygaines

babygaines New Member

yeah... ill order a pump and try it next weekend. is the top bolt difficult or something?

18. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

both bolts are pretty tricky since it is hard to get leverage if the car is on jackstands or ramps.

How much can you bench press? My method was to lay under the diff with a breaker bar in the plugs and push up REALY HARD. It takes some force.