I am permclempt. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Alex, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

[​IMG]

RCE Yellows (v1) rears, under load. Appears that 4 of the soft coils are binding which in my opinion is not all that good. Ha ha.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I say you make RCE give you a set of blacks

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Did this not already happen with your old springs?

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

You never swapped out? Is RCE still giving free replacements? Or, actually, did the rears even change in V2? Do I need to go look at mine? Yikes!

5. Alex

The rce replacement replaced front springs only ;)

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Checked... Mine look exactly the same... 1st four coils all sandwiched. The springs have 18k on them, struts 25k. It sits the same height as it did when I first put them on, which leads me to believe everyone with those springs are sitting this way.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  7. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

you have a lot of fat chicks riding on the back of your car?

8. Alex

Negative ghost rider.

9. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

hahaha this guy cracks me up

10. mokinbird87

is this why you told me to get the black ones???

11. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Black ones hold bigger chicks. I believe they are rated for 350 +
    Git er dun!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  12. Alex

Eh not exactly, I suggested you get the blacks because they have a softer spring rate.

13. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

Swift r-specs is what you need

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have the RCE blacks and mine don't do that. The yellows wouldn't work on my car anyways.

15. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I still got the old v1 yellows in my garage if someone wants to run complete coilbind setup on all 4 corners

16. Alex

Well I heard back from Myles and he said there is no problem.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I thought they were supposed to do that. Is it clunking or were you just looking around and noticed it?

18. SncYllw

SncYllw New Member

I am by no means an expert, but it was explained to me to be similar to the helper spring on a coilover setup. In order to achieve the desired "drop / lowering" and to keep the spring seated at full extension it had to be designed in this manner. I too spoke with Myles regarding this same observation when I installed the RCE yellow V2 springs with new struts.

19. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

Rear struts pop like they're making popcorn -- not exactly a clunk. I am familiar with the strut clunk all too well :)

The notion of the helper spring is not a bad idea.

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I think their explanation is bunch of BULL, either RCE forgot the number of coils they are supposed to have or the actual spring/coil diameter is miscaculated at full compression. Because when all the coils hit/touch at full compression, the spring rates approaches infinity. This is all of a guess after looking at the RCE v1 front springs sitting in my garage, paint is missing and metal is fully exposed on most of the coils.

RCE yellow recieved way more hype than their product actually deserved. I must admit RCE has great customer service as to general feedback but their marketing team is just as excellent if not better than their customer service department. From their initial release of "bronze" edition to kick off the sale to the actual genernal feedback of users (which I suspect recieved free or at cost product to test) suggested these springs rides like a European coilover at a accetpable price point, the result is that RCE sold countless sets. Few month later non RCE affiliated users are reporting with supper lowered rear, as seen on Alex's car plus the front bottoming out at places where suspension travel is needed, and RCE was forced to release a V2 which has the same overall length but one less coil IIRC.

In the end I think RCE should simply stay with Tarmac 2s and skip selling a product that hurts their image. Hopefully the GDB chassis springs taught them enough so that their GR development of springs has a better turnout.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

RCE Blacks are excellent. Yellows seem to be the only ones getting bad reviews.

22. mokinbird87

i hope so because i`m highly interested in getting them soon

23. JPM Coachworks

Blacks are back ordered iirc. If I was to go with springs again it will either be the swift r's or jdm pinks, period. Unfortunately, I will ultimately end up with a set of yellows that I do not want nor am I comfortable selling.

24. longfury

longfury Active Member

RCE has only produced a set of non-lowering springs for the GR. They lower the car 5mm. Many people on IWSTI are screaming for a huge drop and RCE is reluctant to make such a spring. I assume the experience with the GD is why.

25. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Don't want to get into a RCE bashing session.. But I never liked my Yellows. Myles is an awesome guy, customer service is top notch but.. Those springs are not suitable for daily driving at all. Car rides like a tank.. like there are no springs there period. Every imperfection in the road is met with a "CRASH!". Going over the bridge sections on 400 where the surface goes up quickly makes it feel like I'm going to jump general lee style. The reason I haven't bitched is because I was pretty much warned about this before purchase. Bottom line is you cant lower your car that much with just springs and not kill ride quality. To get the desired drop I want it was going to cost $$$ I wasn't willing to spend. If I had to do it over I'd save up and buy a nice set of coilovers or and Ohlen(spell?) setup...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  26. JPM Coachworks

Ohlin ;)

This is why I went to the RA struts. My OEM rears are completely dead now. I want something to keep me going until I am ready to move back to coilovers...again. I believe the JDM Pinks + the RA Adj shocks will be the answer. And hey, hard to beat OEM right? :)

27. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Wow that really sucks! My coils on my prodrives make contact in one spot but only when to bottom them out. Nothing noticeable though. I just found out about it when I took the springs off to change my tophats and notice the paint missing.

28. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

It seems like you already have this covered, it is normal.

There is nothing wrong with them.

Mine look the same.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  29. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Yeah Myles got back to him about it.

Oh well...those are going to be for sale soon as Alex picked up a set of Swift R-Specs to go along with his STi RA struts

30. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

woot woot, can't wait to see how they feel with those JDM'ed out struts

31. JPM Coachworks

They just arrived ;)