Midtown living... Input wanted

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dr.Chris, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I recently started working at a new Chiropractic office at 414 Ponce de Leon. I'm thinking about getting an apartment down here so I don't have to drive from Woodstock (1 hour each way on top of crappy hours). Does anybody know a decent apartment that won't cost a fortune to live at, or should I suck it up and drive a little further and find something closer to Vinings? I'd love to be able to walk to work, or ride my bicycle, but I don't want to have my car broken into, or worse my residence. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

How much are you looking to spend?

3. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

800-900 for a one bedroom. I found a one bedroom townhouse with a garage, but found mixed reviews online. That was $850 and included W/D.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Anything cheap in MidTown is a shit hole.

5. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

My last apartment was at the Gables Rock Springs off of Briarcliff, and I really liked it there. This is more in the Virginia Highlands area instead of Midtown (but I could not live in Midtown anymore... too many people and I got broken into). The Gables has 3 pools 2 workout rooms, some of the developments had parking decks and its all in an upscale neighborhood. It is a little pricier ($950-1100/mo 1 bedroom a year ago), but its safe and quiet.

They also tend to cut you a deal if you take a unit they have available. I got one month free rent off of a 9 month lease. Good luck!

6. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

If you want some place right next to there my friend lives in Alexander on Ponce, they're pretty nice and in that price range or less.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

There is a lot of stuff for sale really cheap right now, and the prices should rebound downtown the fastest. If you can afford it I would be looking to buy.

Down Moreland towards 20 there is some pretty cool stuff for sale.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Now is the time to buy. I dunno about Atlanta but I just bought my first home for half the price it appraised at and it's not a foreclosure.

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I agree 100% with the housing market the way it is now it makes no sense renting unless you don't plan on living in Atlanta or the area for long.

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Ding ding ding. East Atlanta is where I'm trying to move to right now, the rent is cheap and there are some very nice neighborhoods. You just have to deal with having projects a mile away and high crime statistics although very few people I know have ever been robbed down that way.

12. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

At this point I don't see myself staying in Atlanta longer than 3 years. I've always wanted to move out west, like Denver, and I think I'm going to do it. I just signed a 3 year contract here, and I still have a lot to learn about the business aspect of my profession. So my plan is to bank as much cash as possible, and make the move. So for me renting makes the most sense. I don't want to have to worry about selling when it's time to leave.
    Alexander on Ponce was one of the places that I was looking at, so thanks for the feedback on that, and the Gables was on my list too. I'll check both out. Thanks for the direction.