What Coilovers?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Letum001, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Letum001

Letum001 Member

So i'm trying to do some research on some coilovers for my 05 sti and i find there are so many to choose from at varying degrees of price. I'm looking for something good yet not over priced(ie. i don't want to put cheap shit on my car).

I've searched the FS threads on iwsti and nasioc and also looked on ebay as well to find something i like at a reasonable price. When i say reasonable price i'm talking around 800-1200$. I'm looking for some that will provide a wide range of height adjustments. Ride quality isn't that important to me and i want the car to sit pretty low.

So far the ones i've found that i like the best are by D2. These cost around 980$ from what i can find on ebay and other sales sites.

The other ones i'm looking at are a set of tein coilovers. If i can find a set of the SS's for a decent price i'd go with that. However the Tein basic coilovers are more in my price range so the question boils down to wether or not the tein basics are better then the d2?

If you guys have any suggestions i would really appreciate it. I'm new to the whole coilover and modding thing.

Thanks,
    OT

2. Meredith

Meredith Banned

If you want to just slam your car but ride quality isn't important why don't you just get some lowering springs?

I drove my friend's 06 on revalved Teins and I didn't like them nearly as much as when I had KWv3s on my 05. However if you truly want a good set of shocks I'd look at moton or ASTs.

3. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

look into the BC Racing or the Stance coilovers. a few vendors from the site can get them for you. i got my BC Racing coilovers fromTOPSPEED great coilover at a great price.

4. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Also, if you can, get some rides in other's cars, that way you can get a general idea for the ride quality of different shocks.

If I were you I would look at the BC's, I have been hearing lots of good things about them lately. They aren't as good as motons, but they aren't $$$$ like motons either.

Oh yeah, why do you want coilovers? What are you trying to do with your car: lower it? make it handle better? Those questions will help guide your choice. Just for fun, read this:http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html It isn't the shocks bible, but its a good read.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

I can do BC Racing coilovers for $999.99 Shipped. And provide tracking same day.

If you want Stance a little bit more money I can do those as well.

Let me know!

Take care!

6. Letum001

Letum001 Member

Thanks for the info everyone! I really do appreciate it. As far as why i want coilovers i like the idea of being able to adjust my ride height. while i do want it to sit pretty low, mainly i just hate that space in the wheel well on my stock springs. I don't want to sacrifice performance though just for a low riding car. I want coilovers that give me the best performance at a track or on the twisties of mountain runs.

I will take a look at all the brands you guys have mentioned, thank you again for the great info.

7. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ You've got to make sure you don't take it too low though/

8. Letum001

Letum001 Member

I just took a look at the bc coilovers and they look quite nice as well. Thank you for the offer of 999.99. How much could you do these coilovers for if i were to just come and pick them up?

pED - Thanks man, i definitely don't want to hinder performance.

9. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

We can also do the BC's for $999 shipped - that's to here or to your house. If you buy them from us you get 10% off the install here. We can also take you for a ride in Doug's '08 with the BC's on it. We can also get you Tein's for great pricing.

Siegel

10. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

We've also got a set of used KW's for a GREAT deal.

Siegel

11. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

Give me a call. I'll see what kind of deal I can do for you when you are ready.

Take care!

12. Meredith

Meredith Banned

That's the ticket right there...

13. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Agree. Can't go wrong with the KW's...

14. '05limited

'05limited Member

KW ftmfw

15. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I loved the KWs that were on my car, if I hadn't switched to a more aggressive setup I would still be running them.

16. Letum001

Letum001 Member

What is so special about the KW's? If yall don't mind me asking.

17. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

really really good valving and spring rates

The car rides better than stock but still performs

18. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I'd also check how much it cost to rebuild/replace them. Because you will blow any coilovers after driving them on the street for a few years. BC coilover has a fantastic deal were it is only $95 and they send you a replacement if you blow one.