gasket bet. downpipe and midpipe

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

i`m trying to fix a leak where the downpipe meets the midpipe (its the one where it is connected by the two spring bolts). do i need to double up on the gaskets or no? should i get new spring bolts or just use the same ones?

2. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

i have the same leak. replaced a few times with 3in gaskets from AAP but they just get eaten alive.

3. mokinbird87

i`m thinking its because my downpipe is bigger than the stock midpipe... neal at SOG might have a solution for me i`ll go see wut he says tomorrow..

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Let me guess -- aftermarket downpipe to stock midpipe? Have you tried reversing the donut gasket?

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

^^^What he said or use both the 3" gasket plus the doughnut gasket worked for me.

6. mokinbird87

sounds like it`ll do the trick. i`m gonna pick up a new one from sog and fix what i should`ve fixed long time ago hehe

7. mokinbird87

damn it one of the nuts on the bolt cross-threaded... i fought it for like 2 hours (with limited space because i dont have a lift) so i gave up and tightened it back up again... arghh so frustrating.

8. '05limited

'05limited Member

Easiest fix is just a 3" exhaust all the way back ;)

9. mokinbird87

i know.. but i love how i can be driving my car really hard and no one notices hehe. but either way i`m gonna need to get that nut off the bolt...any tips?

10. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

or you can buy my maddad midpipe that is 3" on one end and 2.5" on the muffler end :D

11. monyg85

monyg85 Member

Is it stripped or what? are u trying to cut through it?

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

PBlaster it and get your car off the ground more. If all else fails, get a dremel/cut off tool and cut the nut off the bolt.

13. mokinbird87

i`m gonna try it one last time (but this time with it higher off the ground)... i dont have a dremmel to cut it off :wtc: i swear last time it was drenched in PB but i guess i`ll just give it a try one more time.

btw, sog costed me $45 for the bolts, springs and the gaskets but i forgot to buy the nut :squint:

i`m such a noob lol. i`m sure if it was ped or mike it would`ve taken them like 20 min or less