Swine flu!!! AAAAAAH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by mmtasty, May 5, 2009.

?

Pig flu... Really?! WTF?

1. OMG, I wear a mask 24/7!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. I couldn't give two shits...

38 vote(s)
    92.7%
  1. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Who gives a shit?! :unamused:

What's the big F'in deal? Why am I being visually raped by this stupid crap? Isn't the "normal" flu 100 times more serious? Hell, I had the flu earlier this year and it sucked balls, but I'm still here.

2. '05limited

'05limited Member

They've got to have something to fill a 24hr news cycle... that's my take on a lot of things...

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Between the economy and swine flu I'm about to fucking shoot myself.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

100% media hype... Pandemic???? Really? Watching the uneducated freak out is actually kinda funny... To quote Pulp Fiction "Bacon tastes good, Pork chops taste good...."....

5. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

humans like to be entertained whether it's fun or fear... how many horror flicks come out each year? how many people ride roller-coasters?

of course, DO remember to wash your fucking hands. that's just common sense.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I'm thinking about some round trip tickets to Cancun for $89 each.

Hell the swine flu is here so whats the difference? If I'm gonna die it might as well be on a beach :)

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Or on a boat muthafucka

8. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Hmmm, should I bother? Eh, what the hey...so yes, the media coverage has gotten to the saturation point, yes the virus does not seem to be causing high levels of fatalities (right now) and yes, the feds leaned waaaay forward on this (yet remember the outcry when they didn't during Katrina). On the other hand, there was no way to know (and still isn't) just how lethal the virus can be. Influenza mutates (and re assorts itself) so rapidly that this virus, with a small shift or drift could become more serious...or not. The BIG deal with this virus is that it is novel, or brand new, that means that almost no one alive has a natural immunity to the virus.

Cliff Notes: Novel (brand new) virus = no natural immunity for you or I. Lots of media hype, some warranted, some not. Don't buy a gas mask, do have a 3 day supply of food and 30 day supply of medications on hand (for general disasters) and live your life....

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

110% media hype the shit is a joke... It's just like the bird flu???? Oh media hype there also. Cancun FTMFW I am going in August but I am sure by then the swine flu will be a thing of the past. I will not change my life for some flu....

10. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I laugh about it all the time. People have lost their mind. Of course the media doesn't report that the market has returned a 30% gain since it's lowest point. They talk about the 1 case of swine flu!

11. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

the media amuses me

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  12. Jake

Jake Active Member

You know now that we all said we don't give two shits, we're all gonna get it.

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I call all your car shit!

14. Matt

muthafucka....

15. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

be more worried when rabies mutates and starts waking the dead, we have a cure for the flu.

16. Leave it to Biden to say something stupied and they start calling it a Pandemic, honestly.

"I would tell members of my family, and I have, I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. It's not that it's going to Mexico, it's you're in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation suggesting they ride the subway. " ~Joe Biden

Does that even make any F'in sense!!!

Sad part about it is, half the world believed what he had to say.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/us_world/Swine-Flu-0428.html

17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

since when? since what? cents? incense?

18. BelvnAWD

Ah, no...no "cure" for the flu, its a virus. Treatment opportunities, yes, cure, no. Not to ramble on too much, but the vaccine confers protection for seasonal flu by allowing your body to make its own antibodies against the disease. A novel virus, for which their is currently no vaccine, new challenges. Additionally, the antivirals that are so hyped work well in helping your body to overcome the virus, but the virus mutates rapidly and seems to be very efficient at "learning" how to become "immune" to the antivirals...

19. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

In places that dont have a good medical system it sucks ass, but in the US we have plenty of places to get medical care. I am not worried even if I were to catch it.

I think the difference is how this strain of flu jumps from person to person.

20. fixed..... :fawk:

21. Matt

:rofl:

22. Matt

:rofl:

23. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

double post!

Nelson* HA HA :keke:

24. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

:slap:

25. techlord

techlord Active Member

they said Come on Rick....

:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  26. gfred024

gfred024 Member

You must have been waiting to work that into something:hsnono:

But anywayz This could get serious, especially for babies/small children, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems. In general people are nasty!!! Especially in Mexico, where sanitation standards and hospital standards are not what we have here in the States. Yeah we prob. dont have anything to worry about but Wash your freakin hands!!!! I am sure many people hear dont wash their hands like they should or even know the proper way to wash their hands. I work in a high end conference center at a university and you wouldnt believe how many business men and dignitaries walk out of the men's room without washing their hands!!! Its disgusting and I think twice about shaking people's hands. Especially now!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  27. techlord

techlord Active Member

nah got it in an email a little bit ago.

I am not in the least bit concerned about this flu.

28. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I wish they would give it a cooler name... like bacon flu or porkchop sandwich flu

29. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

how about fajita flu or the mexican flu

30. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

The "Combination Dinner Number 4 Flu"

31. monk

i wonder what the usual rate of infection is for the US... because it went from 7 to 2532 in less than three weeks.

32. The only reason for this was because it was a new strand. No one had been treated for it. As far as what I have read, it is no more deadly than our common flu in the US. It was considered more harmful to the weak immune systems than anything else.

Here is my 2 cents, publicity blew this way out of proportion, they started talking about this is as bad as the 1918 flu epidemic and trying to scare us with facts about Bubonic Plague, when honestly we didnt even reach last years high of flu infection and death talley.

From Wikipedia:
    Typically, in a year's normal two flu seasons (one per hemisphere), there are between three and five million cases of severe illness and up to 500,000 deaths worldwide, which by some definitions is a yearly influenza epidemic.[110] Although the incidence of influenza can vary widely between years, approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations are directly associated with influenza every year in the United States

Influenza (all strainds) itself is an epidemic, this straind is no exception or difference, and 1918 was much worse than you think.

Roughly three times per century, a pandemic occurs, which infects a large proportion of the world's population and can kill tens of millions of people (see history section). Indeed, one study estimated that if a strain with similar virulence to the 1918 influenza emerged today, it could kill between 50 and 80 million people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza#Epidemiology

33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

As i read its worse for people with stronger immune systems. People are dying from immune over response.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  34. Where have you read this?

35. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

My sister is an ER doctor, and going from other Animals flu's (like the 1918 flu and the recent Chinese bird flu) confuse your immune system, causing it to over react, send lots of white blood cells to the lungs, and causes "friendly fire" damage. This also triggers breathing problems. They are starting to think this swine flu will the same thing.

36. News to me, interesting though.... thanks for the info

37. BelvnAWD

This is known as a cytokine storm. It is speculated that this was one of the major reasons the mortality rate was so high in the 1918 pandemic. We are NOT seeing this with this version of H1N1. That was the initial concern, hence the "hype" around the disease at the beginning. The reason we have seen the numbers jump so dramatically are two fold. 1) Its true that it is a novel virus and we have limited to no natural immunity to it, 2) we are now looking for it. Since the symptoms are so mild and comparable to seasonal flu (again, for the time being) there may very well have been cases of it that just went undiagnosed prior to the flare up in Mexico and the U.S.

38. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Where did you read that Cytokine storm was ruled out ? I thought it was still a possibility?

39. BelvnAWD

Its ALWAYS a possibility. But this disease, so far, has not shown to be illiciting the type of immune response that invokes a cytokine storm.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/pubs/pdf/FluView_Week17.pdf

Your tax dollars at work there, see some good does come from paying taxes. Anyways to directly answer the question, cytokine storms become particularly problematic in those with healthy immune systems because the immune response is stronger than those with weakened or compromised immune systems. Since the hospitalization rates for those in the age groups of concern are insignificant compared to other age/immune response groups, its safe to say that it has not YET been an issue with this variant of influenza.

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Page 7, looks like 5-17 age group hospitalizations for 2008-2009 are significantly higher than the previous 3 seasons...

41. BelvnAWD

Not sure what you are looking at? I don't see a "significantly" higher incidence. Additionally, these figures are not just for H1N1, they are for influenza, including H1N1. Additionally, specifically because of the concern over the potential effects of this disease, I bet that we can infer a higher rate of hospital admissions due to an "overabundance of caution". Interestingly, and perhaps this is the most telling, of the deaths linked to H1N1, at least a few of the patients appeared to have co-morbidities (other complicating issues). The 1918 flu seemed to affect 20-50 age group, not the younger folks or older folks...so again, at this point, I haven't heard of anyone suggesting an increase in virulence in the healthy adult population, quite the contrary. I will check with my boss though to confirm...

42. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

They include all of them, dont they?

43. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

44. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Except they had a vaccine then.

45. monk

fyi, this isn't "swine" flu. it's a human/avian/swine hybrid. which is why they're trying to avoid calling it "swine" in favor of H1N1.

46. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I thought the pork industry had dropped by 40% or so because of the "swine" flu and that was the reason the started calling it H1N1. People were associating pork products with the swine flu so they weren't eating pork as much. It's all crap to me...

47. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Man the spanish authorities were having a field day, wanting to know what cities we all lived in and even who we sat next to on the planes over there last week. Lots of bozos wearing health masks and breathers in the international terminal of the airport as well.

People just need to relax, get your sleep, eat your oranges and stay healthy.

48. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Damn....I remember last week when I was going somewhere on 495, this truck filled with hogs/pigs drove right by me...agghhhh the stench....LOL...

Mark

49. monk

it was a misnomer from the start. the slaughtering/burning of entire stocks of mexican swine and the drop in pork consumption globally were an unfortunate byproduct of media sensationalism founded on ignorance.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  50. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

My wife just emailed me and informed me there has been a swine flu outbreak at the hospital she works at.

200 of the staff are being tested as we speak